Acer Aspire Switch Alpha 12 S

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by sonichedgehog360, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

Pretty sure my box was shrink wrapped, what about the pc itself and the keyboard? Both should have been wrapped too and if they were I wouldn't worry about the outside box.

2. Shutterfly

Shutterfly Pen Pal - Newbie

I am in the same boat. Finally I figured paying almost double the price for 10% performance gain doesn't make sense and went with a i5/256.
    I am equally curious on the usb-c charging. Here is Acer USA's reply on Amazon.com:
    "We show that a 19.5V 2.25A AC adapter should charge the system via USB-C. Please note that we do not have a recommendation or can guarantee functionality on what 3rd party AC adapter with these specs, to use."
    It's quite vague. I never heard of usb-c can charge 19.5V@2.25A, but I might be ignorant...

Anyway to know runtime of the machine ?[/QUOTE]

3. K Bags

K Bags Pen Pal - Newbie

The inner box has a gray "do not remove sticker" that holds both sides together. Would have to be removed to access the computer and keyboard. If the sticker is still there, you should be fine.

4. K Bags

K Bags Pen Pal - Newbie

I think I'm missing something.... what are the "rest of the Acer pen apps." Are there additional apps that integrate with Hover? Thanks.

5. Don1

Standby doesn't turn it off but will put in to hibernation after threehours requiring a hard press to get it back on. That is an option in power setting that you can adjust or change to NEVER if you don't want that happening. I have mine set to never when plugged in and 2 hours when on battery.

6. collindv

collindv Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, but I am referring to the options in Remix OS. When you press the power button (press, not hold) you are presented with a menu to "Standby", "Turn Off" Or "Restart" (I think these are the options, I do not have it in front of me). Choosing "Standby" for me seems to do the same thing as rebooting. In other words, there does not seem to be a way to shut off just the screen in remix without having to boot back up when you want to use it.

7. Don1

oh..that I have no clue about and I am sure you are correct.

Oh, and does anybody else hate this new gui as much as I do? This has to now be the most obnoxious board to post on ever.

8. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It is important to distinguish between USB-Type-C, which is only a connector, and USB-Power Delivery 2.0/3.0, which is the specification that is relevant for higher power output over USB. It is a complex issue with a lot of details to consider, which I cannot explain in just a few words.
    "Simple" USB Type-C chargers and devices only use 5 Volt at max. 3 Ampere, that means max. 15 Watt.
    USB-Power-Delivery 2.0 or 3.0 (do not confuse this with Qualcomm QuickCharge 2.0/3.0) can supply up to 100 Watt. But there are several different and optional profiles, so some USB-PD enabled devices/accessories will supply up to 30 Watt, some 45 Watt, some 60 Watt etc.
    It is also important that USB-PD can supply diferent voltages, up to 20V.
    But the most important part is that USB-PD relies on specific communication protocols, basically the devices "speak" to each other to make sure that the correct power is being supplied. Unfortunately, plenty manufacturers do not follow these specifications correctly, many manufacturers also give very poor explanations when being aksed about these things and most manufacturers are doing an atrocious job to correctly and detailed specify their devices publically.

That being said, I had the Switch Alpha 12 for a brief moment and tried out an Innergie 45 Watt USB-C charger and the Switch Alpha 12 did charge with it. I did not test it in detail, but I guess it would work just fine.

Marty likes this.
  9. WyattERP

WyattERP Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

Thought I would join in on this conversation.

For those that haven't read, here is an interesting side by side:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Face-O...pectre-x2-12-vs-Huawei-MateBook.172273.0.html

Kudos to the Switch for getting the second nod from these guys. The fanless power under the hood is truly impressive.

However, one lingering thing that might steer me away is found deeper in the NBC review

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-A...SA5-271-56HM-Convertible-Review.167947.0.html

"Our review sample proves to be extremely power hungry, particularly during load. With a power consumption of 25.2 to 29.3 watts, it requires 6 to10 watts more than the i5 Surface configuration. The minimum idle consumption is also higher than that of Microsoft's Surface. This high energy requirement could have a very unfavorable impact on battery life."

These power management choices clearly reflect in the battery life differences between the two i5 units (SP4 and Switch Alpha).

I'm sure most everyone here has crawled over 100s of reviews comparing these types of Surface like competitors, and it's telling to me that SP4 still owns the crown 10 months later (at least in terms of reviews). MS's engineers made so many great balanced choices in the build up, and it still shows. I'm not here to simply brag on SP - it is considerably more expensive - and I commend Acer on this cheap setup, but the power management choices come across as rookie mistakes for a company that's been doing this for a while.

Maybe they willfully knew these choices would severely hamper the battery - in order to take a bullet point for performance - but ultimately I hope they constrain top end performance a bit, and access those deep low watt states - in a future BIOS release. This would help cap thermals, and extend the battery another hour or more (100 minutes in the SP4, which runs a higher resolution screen).

Again - this Acer is still tempting me - but the recent $200 drop on the SP4 M3 model on Amazon has me thinking - why not get the best balanced machine in this class?

10. Diogenes5

Diogenes5 Pen Pal - Newbie

I get about 6.5 hours just like the Surface Pro 4 after tweaking the power-saving settings. The switch is bright and can be used at 0% or 10% settings even in the daylight. I appreciate Microsoft for creating this market and the surface is a good product but it's not a great product. The battery life still stinks for the Pro 4 as well at 6.5 hours. If I'm in the $800-1000 price range, I am not considering the Surface Pro 4 alone; I am considering a slew of ultrabooks and other devices and the Surface Pro does not handily beat other windows devices. Some devices have better keyboards or battery life or features.

In the $500-700 price range the switch is in, it's competing mainly with the ipad pro and used surface pro devices and it competes very well. It just has mediocre battery life which is an ok tradeoff for the price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.