Acer Aspire Switch Alpha 12 S

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by sonichedgehog360, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

This is the only one I have on order now and this is the one on the slow boat from China. When I heard it should be 45w I cancelled the others and ordered this instead.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KLH1R0S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. Shutterfly

Shutterfly Pen Pal - Newbie

this is what I got from Acer community:
    Switch Alpha 12 specifications (source: Acer):

The thin and reversible USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 1 port combines multiple protocols in a single cable, putting just about everything you need in a port all in one place. It features:

• Data transfer rates up to 5Gbps
    • Video output
    • Power delivery capabilities of up to 4.5W
    To me a PD of 4.5W is a joke. And it seems it's also contradicting what some people have claimed here. According to them it should be able to take charges at much higher wattage.

3. Diogenes5

Diogenes5 Pen Pal - Newbie

USB C can take a charge and also discharge. 4.5W is if it's being discharged and used to charge a cell phone ...

4. Shutterfly

Diogenes5:
    I realized I mis-read your post. Since you mentioned in your previous post SA12 does charge with Apple's USB-c charger. Can you share more details? Can it charge while you are using the unit?
    Thanks,

5. Craige

Craige Pen Pal - Newbie

Getting my Switch Alpha 12 in 2-3 days, and I plan to do clean install of windows. May I pls know what are the drivers do I need to install from Acer website compulsorily after Re-install OR Windows will find everything automatically ?

Also, any worthwhile bundled software worth keeping?

6. Shutterfly

I doubt there will be any drivers you need to prepare. All the key components (HDD, video, etc.) are well-known and standard, and windows should be able to find everything.
    As to the bundled software, I tried to use acer's cloud storage tool, but found it's hard to understand. It's not highly regarded on many discussion forums either.

7. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You should grab the card reader update, fixes SD cards constantly unmounting. Only other important driver that's been updated is the graphics and I got that via Windows update so you should be set mostly.

8. collindv

collindv Pen Pal - Newbie

Recently picked up the I5/256 version from Microcenter for $499, couldnt be happier. Was debating the I5 ($599) vs I7 ($899) and almost pulled the trigger on the I7, then I saw the $100 student discount which put me over the top.

Waiting to see some off the feedback on the USB-C chargers from the posters on here, that is one of the drawbacks for me (the included charger is too laptop oriented).

Also, wanted to mention that Remix OS (Android marshmellow) runs perfectly on this tablet, actually better than any actual android tablets I have had. Have only had it for a few days so still investigating. The only issue I have found is that "standbay" seems to actually turn the unit off, but it has a very short boot time so I can live with it for now. Overall very happy.

kvoram likes this.
  9. olivespin

olivespin Pen Pal - Newbie

Ordered from Amazon.com and my brother collected my package of Switch Alpha 12, but the product is not shrink wrapped (its not covered in transparent clear plastic).... is it normal ?
    How was all of your packing ?

Anyway to know runtime of the machine ?

10. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

None, windows will find everything you need.

Software wise I kept care center because it's a new device and it saves the act of having to check manually, I also kept hover only because it's a nice app and I would like to try and figure how to add my own tools to it. However, unless you install the rest of the Acer pen apps hove is pretty bland. None of the bundled software is needed though.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.