Acer Aspire Switch Alpha 12 S

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by sonichedgehog360, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

`
    That looks to be the best and at $22, I think I may get one too. Hey Don1, Didn't we go back and fourth in the old HP Spextre X2 thread around Dec of last year? I may have you mistaken for another poster, but I think I remember you.

2. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

No, it was me..I really liked that tablet too and I paid full price for it. I ended up returning it only because it was m3/4gb/128. Had they come out with even a m5/8gb I would have bought that and kept it for sure. Getting this for $499 however just seems to good to believe and as I only use it (or will only use it) for surfing, email and other MS Office functions primarily I don't expect it to ever get hot, at least it hasn't yet other t when did a clean install and loaded up 75GB of dropbox stuff.

oops..you said Spectre x2 and I was thinking galaxy tab pro s, anyway yes I was there too but at least in that case I had the M7/8/256 version and I got it at a 30% discount so it was a pretty good deal too. I just didn't think it was wort $900+ with a full hd screen. Still it was another good tablet but I really think this one will be my keeper until the next generation comes out and settles down. I think we will see more liquid cooled versions and better pricing, Acer has definitley put some pressure on the other manufacturers with this.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  3. Diogenes5

Diogenes5 Pen Pal - Newbie

I can confirm this works with a macbook 12 retina charger. That charge is 2a and 14.5 V for 29W total charging. I asked Lisa from Mobile Tech Review and she said an i5 of this caliber would probably take 3A and 15V over USB-C and possibly down to 3A and 5V over USB-C too. The macbook charger is none of these but works to charge the device.

The normal charger on this thing is a laptop charger and really bulky and awkward to carry around. I would replace it with a macbook 12 charger or a cheap alternative but with cable that gets into the $30 range and given this tablet has a battery issue, I'm looking for a portable battery instead.

Can someone please confirm that this thing will charge with a 3A 5V charger? That is the spec that most "Macbook 12 compatible" batteries use. 3A 15V charger start at around $100 or more. I'd rather just get a $50 battery and charge my tablet with pass-through.

To continue my old review a few pages back, the pen is pretty good on this thing. I feel it's about the same as the pen on my note 12.2 Pro and the Dell Pen (AAGN-750) that I guerilla used on my Dell 10 7000 Venue Tablet.

Also with relation to gaming ... Even after 30 minutes of hearthstone, this thing got unbearably hot. I did not get this table for games but it kind of sucks it gets so hot playing just hearthstone. The Intel HD 520 inside is quite powerful though compared to most entry-level laptop IGP's. I had anomalous performance issues after letting the tablet get hot for that long so I suggest nobody marathon games on this tablet. Liquid Cooling uses a non-conductive liquid usually that has a high specific heat, but that heat still needs to be dispersed and there's no way of doing that effectively without active cooling. If you want to risk it, I suggest getting a large fan and blowing it an angle against the tablet.

I was actually in the market for a tab pro s myself because of the oled and the great battery life. I had an alert to buy it for around $600 on ebay or a retailer but then the Acer Switch came along. The tabpro s has a really awful keyboard (90% keyboards should all be burned in a fire), no micro-sd card to make up for the terribly small amount of storage, and simply not enough ram (4gb is also an awful amount of ram size that should simply no longer be offered). The OLED screen is not Samsung's best either. It is pentile and has color gamut only slightly better than an IPS screen. Their top-of-the-line screens found in their phones and some tablets (Galaxy Tab S) have 100% sRGB AND 100% AdobeRGB. Not only that you can push the gamut even wider when watching movies for some devices.

All these issues pushed me to the Acer Switch. I was going to get the $700 at Costco but ended up spending about $540 for the same thing at Microcenter ($499 for base model + $40 for the pen off ebay).

4. Don1

[QUOTE="
    I was actually in the market for a tab pro s myself because of the oled and the great battery life. I had an alert to buy it for around $600 on ebay or a retailer but then the Acer Switch came along. The tabpro s has a really awful keyboard (90% keyboards should all be burned in a fire), no micro-sd card to make up for the terribly small amount of storage, and simply not enough ram (4gb is also an awful amount of ram size that should simply no longer be offered). The OLED screen is not Samsung's best either. It is pentile and has color gamut only slightly better than an IPS screen. Their top-of-the-line screens found in their phones and some tablets (Galaxy Tab S) have 100% sRGB AND 100% AdobeRGB. Not only that you can push the gamut even wider when watching movies for some devices.

All these issues pushed me to the Acer Switch. I was going to get the $700 at Costco but ended up spending about $540 for the same thing at Microcenter ($499 for base model + $40 for the pen off ebay).[/QUOTE]

I actually did the same. got it at Microcenter for $499 and bought my pen off ebay but I think mine was $44..still better than what I could find it for on Amazon.

5. Shutterfly

Shutterfly Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been watching for a SSD 512G model (either i5 or i7) for a while now unfortunately it seems inventory has been always low -- only very few websites carry them with not much choice.
    Here my question is, is it possible to upgrade the SSD? I know that Surface Pro 4's is:
    https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft+Surface+Pro+4+Teardown/51568

Has anyone already tried it on Swith Alpha 12, or offer any insights on if it's possible?
    Thanks,

6. Don1

SP4 really is not upgradeable, nearly impossible to open it without cracking the screen. The only people who even try are those that get paid to break them. :)

7. Shutterfly

Yeah. It is indeed tricky. Nowadays as the devices become thinner and thinner, manufacturers use more and more glues instead of screws in assembly. This has made user-upgrades more tricky, but it's still possible.
    I replaced my Iphone6's screen and battery a while back -- it was not a pleasant experience as battery is glued to the back plus the components are teeny (screws that are 1/16 inch in size, etc.), you will have to use special tools to accomplish the job -- heat guns, suction cups, special, wathermaker level screw drivers, magnifiers, etc.
    Eventually it's doable, but it's not a job for everyone.

8. Shutterfly

I finally decided to go with a 256G SSD model, and have been using it for a couple of days now. Overall I love it! especially the fact that is totally quiet.
    In order to try the usb-c charging, I ordered a 36w charger and cable from amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IB1EXX4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01838Z3UM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    After plugging it in (and unplugged ac adapter) the tablet's power status started to jump back and forth between external ac power and battery.
    I wonder if it's the new charger, or the port itself.
    Does anyone else have the same problem?

9. Don1

My charger (see above) is on the proverbial slow boat from China and the tracking number is untrackable. I will let you know when I get it.

10. Shutterfly

--Don1: I am more interested in the dodocool adapter you ordered. Does it work? I just don't want to have to carry multiple chargers on roadtrips. One charger to rule them all would be nice!