Acer Aspire Switch Alpha 12 S

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by sonichedgehog360, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

I jumped on the microcenter deal and have been using this for about 5 days now. I must say that for the price, this is amazing. I have used just about every kickstand 2-in-1 and I really think this is among the best due to the full core i5 and overall value. This is noticeably faster than any core m I have used (Used m3-7 skylake and broadwell). The screen is super bright and the colors are pretty darn good right out of the box. If I had to pick out some bads here they are.
    1. Not symmetrical - rt bezel is bigger than left, and also provides for a weird experience in holding this as a tablet.
    2. Short-is battery life - I am getting 4-5 hours much less if gaming (even light gaming)
    3. Gets hot if gaming - Hot as in, this could burn someone hot
    4. Pen is not as good as others - Haven't used it, just from what others say. The fact it has one is nice enough though.
    5. So much bloat - I get it, that keeps cost down, but yikes...

All in all for the faults, I think the price and overall build makes up for this. Acer has come a long way.

2. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well I have spent a day with it and my conclusion is that it can't be beat, especially for $500 the MS equivalent with a kb would be over $1400. I did do a clean install of windows and update the bios and kb firmware because they had some updates come out in the last week or so but that was it. Seems to work great and will certainly hold me over until the next generation starts appearing.

Has anybody tried a usb-c charger with this and if so which one? The brick that comes with it just doesn't suit a tablet.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  3. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Apparently the MacBook USB C charger works don't think anyone has tested any other.

Sent from mTalk on my Acer A12

4. Don1

I womder if they tried it or are assuming it works. I tried a couple of charges that do not thing and that reminded me of how a lot of these vendors write proprietary code into their adapters so only their own will work.

5. MSGaldenzi

I tried the dell latitude 7370 charger and it worked. This is the same charger for the xps 12 and latitude 7375. Worked without a hitch.

6. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What kind of charge time are you seeing compared to the original charger?

Sent from mTalk on my Acer A12

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  7. Don1

8. MSGaldenzi

That top 30 watt seems like a better deal. I can't comment on charging time vs the OEM charger as I just plugged it in, saw that it worked, then walked away. The original charger is 45w so I am going to say that it will charge slower via USB-c (Common sense). There are other factors too... turning it off vs keeping it in sleep will yield a faster charge as well.

9. MSGaldenzi

So I did a "Real World" use scenario of me playing League of Legends in the kitchen for an hour. The back got so hot it hurt to touch. I was afraid I would melt some cords that were back there (exaggerated a bit). After gaming I touched the back a few times... within 10 minutes the back was fine to touch. I was shocked, I imagined that it would be hot for at least 20 minutes.

As for the gaming... settings were defaulted at high all the way and i was pulling 60 fps no problem. The 12' screen was difficult to play with but in a pinch, it was fun. Also no wifi issues on the opposite end of my house from the router.

10. Don1

WiFi seems great and great antennas too. I get a constant 867 with this in a distant corner of my house where the router is three walls away. My other PCs usually get 525 or less as it fluctuates with them.

Didn't realize the original was 45w, I was looking for something similar to the Macbook charger which I believe is 29w. In that case maybe I will try this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KLH1R0S/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A29OVWPXL0IMMD

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016