Acer Aspire Switch Alpha 12 S

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by sonichedgehog360, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canabuc

Canabuc Pen Pal - Newbie

OK some unscientific numbers.

Acer on 15% brightness streaming Netflix used up 42% battery over 2:05

SP4 was on much higher brightness ( about 45%) to get equal levels. Watching same things at same time and same duration at what seemed like same brightness dropped 24%.

That seems like a large margin.

Will do some more testing.

So far the keyboard I like better on surface battery is better and despite the fans they have never come on yet.

Battery life might be the kicker and keyboard too. Figure if I am going to use this for say a couple of year the resale will be higher too so might be better off with the surface. For the extra money I at least was also getting the Xbox promotion and the pen not that i need the Xbox but it does add a bit of value

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

2. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Acer Aspire Switch Alpha 12 SA5-271-70EQ Convertible Review
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-A...SA5-271-70EQ-Convertible-Review.169557.0.html

Pro

+
    performance
    +
    big storage capacity
    +
    fanless cooling
    +
    good input devices with backlight
    +
    solid construction
    +
    display with strong colors can be very well calibrated
    +
    good microphone, cameras

Cons

-
    speakers
    -
    short battery life

Verdict

In review: Acer Aspire Switch Alpha 12 SA5-271-70EQ. Test model provided by Acer Germany

What makes the premium model of the Switch Alpha 12 SA5-271-70EQ attractive? 1300 Euros are not a bargain. It is not the performance of the Core i7, since system performance, CPU performance and gaming performance are only marginally better than the i5 variant's. According to our measurements, the display is even worse. However, the IPS panel can be excellently calibrated and is even brighter than in the first model. It is not the battery life, too, since the WiFi runtime decreased by half an hour to 4:51 h. Those who are looking for a battery life of a workday, should buy another convertible.

What remains are the big 512 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM and a backlit keyboard. Prospective buyers have to decide themselves, whether these are worth a surcharge of 500 Euros. The 128 GB model with i5 is already available for under 800 Euros. We still recommend the Switch Alpha 12, but the Core i5 model is absolutely sufficient and is available as a bundle with stylus and 256 GB for about 1000 Euros.

Those looking for a long battery life and a super-silent operation, won't get around Microsoft's Surface Pro 4, Core m3. About 25 % lower system performance than our test model are an acceptable disadvantage in view of the significantly longer battery life.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

3. thundergodz

thundergodz Pen Pal - Newbie

its 749+50 i think, then after the 10% discount it comes to around 719. Sadly i bought it early this month before the costco sale and i dont have a costco membership, so i won't be able to cash in the discount. Its still a good deal especially if you want the models with high spec since youget 15% discount if you buy above 800 dollars.

4. thundergodz

I got it from acer US itself. They had a sale on july 4th which include discount of 10% for spending below 800, 15% for spending above 800. Sadly the sale is over, hopefully you can find another one around the corner other than the costco's.

5. thundergodz

I have the pen, which i found not that great and have some issue but its still decent after you get used to it.

I think found the reason why:
    1) Firstly the pen have a semi-soft tip which it's surface contact can distort when in contact, which i believe causes the wavy lines when written on onenote when you are not using pen-pressure sensitivity.
    2) Next is the replaceable tip which is not a tight fit and can wobble during writing , so i believe that this factor add to the issue when writing fast. This make the lines looks wavy and the loops on some of the words shrink when written fast.
    (There some comparison and discussion on page 12-14)

Otherwise, it still decent when you zoom in a bit and write a big bigger on screen. It takes some time to get used to it, but it should't be too shabby if your not a professional artist.

6. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Acer has posted a new bios for the Alpha 12, ver 1.02 dated 8/3/2016 with the listed changes:

"Updated USB LAN UEFI driver and PXE ROM version.
    Improved sensibility for On-Screen Keyboard."

Sent from mTalk on my Acer A12

7. Craige

Craige Pen Pal - Newbie

Please can u guys post picture of the back of the box? I want to see where they mention complete specs of the computer that can be referred to before buying or opening the package.

I tried buying with Costco.com, but they add tax + shipping + non Costco membership charges :-(
    If I directly go to local warehouse, do they still charge additional Sales tax OR then I will get the product at the price mentioned on the website ?

8. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

Its a members only shopping place so ya... buying there and not being a member will add to the price.

9. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Anyone updated to the anniversary update?

10. thundergodz

Quick question, how do i update bios.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.