Acer Aspire Switch Alpha 12 S

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by sonichedgehog360, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

With shipping and tax it comes to $762.94, seems a good deal.

2. Canabuc

Canabuc Pen Pal - Newbie

OK just got this from Costco Canada it is same model minus the pen.

Some questions and comments so far:

The backlit keyboard is it just on or off or can one adjust the brightness. Can't find anything in manual about it. FN f9 key toggles it but can one make it dimmer?

There is no microphone? Is this true? Did not test yet as just got it yesterday. I thought there was on top . Can we confirm this.

My observations compared to 2 surface pros I have in my house that I ordered and might be returning are:

The screen side by side compared to the sp4 is much brighter. I can use it at 25% versus like 50% on sp4 for what looks like equal brightness.
    I wonder if this is why battery tests say it gives much less than the sp4. Maybe they are using tests where brightness are not adjusted. That said the brightness of the sp4 can go lower.

Also the first sp4 had horrible light bleed in bottom corner and overall the color of screen had reddish tint I had to adjust with color calibration. It was the m3 model. Decided to return and order the higher spec 8 model once I was returning.
    That one came in today and I noticed this one has better screen for bleed just tiny amount at a few spots only seen on boot up and one area a few inches up from the bottom also only seen at boot up when screen is at brightest. It is acceptable but disappointing given how much more this costs over the sp4.

The only thing with the screen is temperature wise is on the blue or cool side. Not sure how or if that can be adjusted it if one just calibrates individual colors.

I do miss windows hello on the Acer. Sp4 keyboard is also better but Acer is not bad and track pad seems to work well.

Would like to hear more about the pen as I can get one for 35$ if it works OK. I am not an artist just want it more for note taking and maybe the odd sketch.

I think the Acer kickstand is a bit more comfortable on the lap due to the rubber bottom.

The elephant in the room is battery life. Too early to tell and that might be its only downfall. It is rated at 37 w/h vs 39 for sp4 so not sure why battery shouldn't be close. There are no fans and screen is a bit smaller and less dense. All I can think of is the brighter screen and maybe it runs a bit hotter .

Overall this tablet is just over half the price of the sp4 but with some compromise. Keyboard and pen not as good. Screen smaller and lower res but is brighter. No windows hello.
    Battery life about 20% reported less. USB type c not for charging which would have been great as then could use power bank to add juice on the go. And of course it is heavier

On the plus is no fans for a strong performer. Very bright screen with good build and to me a more comfy stand mechanism.
    Also did I mention the price? I can bank the money I save and almost get another one or save it for the next gen 2 in 1 which will likely be better.

I now have a few days to decide which unit I like better and will return the other. If I keep the Acer I recommend the Costco extended warranty. Here in Canada it is only 100$ (76 us $) it extends for 3 years and includes damage coverage

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

3. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

I am surprised my Costco price was that well received. I figured it was a good deal, but I figured it was posted somewhere.

I am still debating if I really need/want a 2-in-1. I prefer a laptop for heavy lifting and a dedicated tablet with oled for consumption. I better make up my mind soon though seeing as the costco deal is only until the end of the month. I currently use an XPS 15 2016 and a samsung galaxy tab s 10.5 for consumption. If this had thunderbolt I could argue trying to get a razer core to work... but with just 3.1 that won't happen.

4. Shutterfly

Shutterfly Pen Pal - Newbie

Where did you buy it from?
    I am looking for an i7 with 512GB, unfortunately Costco doesn't have it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2016
  5. Canabuc

Canabuc Pen Pal - Newbie

Was in a similar boat. Have aging MacBook pro i7 from 2012. Needs new battery. Have an iPad as well .
    Was looking for something not too crazy that can do double duty especially for travel etc. Not a big gamer here and don't need much more then browsing office some use of citrix and maybe some light photo editing etc.
    This is why unless I go for the m processor on the sp4 I am finding the 8gb price hard to justify.
    This Acer his the price sweet spot. Really like the screen am finding it brighter with no light bleed unlike the 2sp4.

If only battery life were better but will try using at lower brightness add it seems to be about 20 higher brightness (I e at 25 % it is almost as bright as 50 % on sp4

6. efjay

There is definitely a microphone, its on the top of the tablet and didn't seem to have any issues with Skype when I installed it.

As for battery life, it definitely isn't the best even with the brightness turned down, though I agree it does get very bright. I use mine on battery at 13% and it fees like 40% on other tablets I've used.

Keyboard backlight seems to be on/off only, no adjustment to the levels I can see. And to adjust the colour temperature the intel graphics control panel is available so you can use that.

Haven't run any intensive CPU tasks myself, I bought it mainly because of the price/specs value and because it was fanless, my SP3 fan was quite noticeable. The only negatives that stand out for my are mostly the battery life, then the weight and least of all the keyboard is a bit more noisy compared to the SP4 keyboard I was using but overall I have no complaints..

Its also worth noting that Acer was quick to update the card reader driver to fix the SD card frequently mounting and unmounting itself so hopefully they will offer improvements in other areas where possible.

Canabuc likes this.
  7. Canabuc

Canabuc Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply. It's interesting add review sites state the brightness is like 330-340 nits. They SP4 if closer to 390.
    I find this tablet much brighter except at the 0 setting watching Netflix it can actually get slightly dimmer.
    The screen is apparently a Panasonic and seems quality wise better than the 2 from Microsoft.

Can you tell me how much battery life you are seeing in normal use?
    I wonder why the sp4 is longer life given battery specs are less than 10% different.

There seem to be more available seeing for battery saving on the Acer. Maybe the sp4 is tuned to be more battery saving less performing which might explain how this device benchmarks at least as fast even though slightly lower spec and fanless.
    I would be interested in creating power profiles with graphics and processor on battery saving rather than balanced and see if that squeezes more life. That and letting screen brightness might bring it up to sp4 numbers without performance drop off...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  8. Canabuc

Canabuc Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you have the stylus

9. efjay

I'm seeing about 5 hours of usage with a mix of web browsing, Netflix, music with Groove or Pandora but one thing I notice is my temp internet files are huge using Edge (1.5GB today surfing Comicbookmovie.com and other sites) so I think with the browser downloading everything under the sun it's not helping battery runtimes. Hopefully the coming update will help, plus I'll be installing an adblocker extension asap when it hits so we'll see.

I have the pen and it's ok, seems to have a problem with small, fine writing, see recent posts where another poster and I talk about it.

10. Canabuc

Canabuc Pen Pal - Newbie

I am doing a battery test now it vs same specs sp4.
    To get brightness similar have sp4 at 40% and this at 13%
    Going to run same 2 hour Netflix movies and see how much they drop battery wide side by side.

Blacks are a hint better as are viewing angles on sp4 but also a bit more bleed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.