Acer Aspire Switch Alpha 12 S

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by sonichedgehog360, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I just tried with the smallest line size I could set it to and still not seeing lag itself, but its definitely hard to write at that size with precision. However I am using the free Onenote app and not the full version (which Im not sure can disable pressure sensitivity) so maybe thats why I am not seeing lag.

2. thundergodz

thundergodz Pen Pal - Newbie

Here my writing on onenote and my same hand writing on pencil on paper

Paper:
    [​IMG]

Onenote:
    [​IMG]

BTW efjay, hows your rear camera. Mine really pixelated and it is really hard do to take a pic with it.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  3. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That looks similar to what I am getting, I wonder if its the tip of the pen, seems a tad thicker and not as fine as my SP3 pen tip. As for my camera, I dont see any pixelization, just motr noise in the picture compared to my Lumia 1520.

BTW are you seeing any problems with Wifi stopping and requiring a restart to get it working again? I've tried reinstalling the drivers from the site but I constantly have to restart after a few hours to get wifi working again..

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  4. zeke

zeke Pen Pal - Newbie

So from what others have said the stylus (NP.STY1A.006) for the switch alpha 12 is the only pen that can write on the screen? Why would this be the case if it is using the same technology as other styluses?

5. thundergodz

Yeah, that what i am trying to say but didn't get the correct word for it. The camera seems to be producing a lot of noise even tough it about 5mp camera. For the pen, i think maybe as the tips is also made out from sort of semi-soft semi-soft materials.

For the wifi, I din't seem to have this problem. For the time i spend using it, about a total of 48++ i don't seem to see any intermittent wifi connection. I will let you know once i play with it more.

6. thundergodz

Not really sure why, but it seems that the new pen tips is a bit different than the old acer active stylus and the dell active stylus 750-AAGN. So i think there a difference in technology, it sort of feel and writes better but only the lag is the ugly side of the pen. If acer can fix the lag on the pen, i think this pen is really good for note taking, for drawing i think it can pass but i think other pen like sp4 pen will still way better.

7. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

Just tossing this out here... I saw at my local costco that they had the i5/8/256 +Pen model at costco for 699 yesterday. This was 100 off. Seems like a great deal. I have read a few reviews and seen a few videos, but how is everyone's performance? I was mainly wondering about throttling under load. Also what is battery life like after a week (I know that sometimes they take a couple of discharges before they get situated).

8. thundergodz

OMG thats cheaper than what i got it for, is it before or after tax? i got mine for about 719 after 10% discount on july 4th, but NY tax send it back up to almost nothing. I have not done anything that put the unit under load, so i can't comment much on that subject, for the battery it seems to be similar to what most of the sites are reporting(ie:notebookcheck, liliputing, etc).

9. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

it's before tax. do they come with the pen standard? if not then that is an additional savings.

10. jessez

jessez Pen Pal - Newbie

It's the before tax price. It's also available on Costco.com for that price plus shipping. It's an Costco-exclusive with the stylus and SD card all in the package. Though, I grabbed mine from Microcenter, because the sales rep recommended this to me when I was debating if I would bite the price tag of a Surface Pro 4. And I'm very glad that he recommended this to me instead of up selling me a SP4. It runs great for my purpose. Heavier and bulkier than a SP4. The trackpad is smooth enough but still not as great as SP4 Type Cover, but the keys actually feel nicer on the Acer. It does feel quite hot on the back after running CPU intensive tasks. But this is my first convertible tablet, so I'm not sure how to find how if it's been throttled. The system doesn't lag, so to me it didn't make any difference even if it's throttling.

I'm actually quite puzzled by the price. Rumor says the upcoming ASUS Transformer Pro 4 base model i5/4GB/256GB is priced at $999. So I'm not sure how Acer was able to pull this off (or what I'm losing out on this inexpensive model, besides the lack of built-in microphone, Windows Hello IR camera and Wacom AES digitizer). The build quality is great and the screen is beautiful. So all I hope is that Acer didn't cut corners on QC...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.