Acer Aspire Switch Alpha 12 S

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by sonichedgehog360, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I had seen that video before. Certainly very thorough.

For me the most interesting thing is how the i7 version will perform. So far Acer has never shown the i7 Alpha. Every single presentation, hands-on or review has been only of the i5, the i7 Alpha is almost vaporware.
    I would say there is no more room for more heat. Since I have a Seek thermal camera add-on, I might check the temps of my own devices and maybe take a measurement in the store next time. I haven't quite figured out where my personal comfortability threshold is in terms of temperature degrees.

Man, as if getting the "right" device wasn't complicated enough already...

2. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There will always be the "one" waiting around the corner.
    In a few weeks I will have the I7, if you want to wait ;-)

3. ShiftTab

ShiftTab Pen Pal - Newbie

In the interest of keeping the thread going I have finally (after a long time lurking on this site) decided to setup an account and join the discussion.

I just got the I7 model yesterday. Spent most of the day setting it up. Got steam installed and a couple games to test out.
    I haven't had enough time with it yet to give any quantifiable numbers as far as heat and battery life, though I can say battery so far isn't stellar, but it hasn't got so hot that i would be to worried about it.

I did have the random sdcard disconnect issue that others have mentioned but found that going to device manager and auto updating the driver for the realtek usb 2.0 card reader has resolved the issue.

The right side bezel size is a kind of odd choice for Acer and put me off a bit at first but I am starting to get used to it. I am not entirely sure why they did it. My best guess is to fit ports and the cooling solution however other manufactures were able to fit more in less space. Its a trade off for price vs performance vs aesthetics i guess.

Sorry to all those that might want to know about pen performance, I did not get the pen with it and since it is a feature I hardly use I doubt I will pick one up.

I am however a fan of Linux and came across this today for anyone that may be interested.

http://liliputing.com/2016/07/running-linux-acer-switch-alpha-12.html

Seems that Mint works well out of the box but would need some additional support for drivers and scaling to get it fully working.

As it stands after a days use, I would say this is a good inexpensive alternative to the SP4.

Anyway, If you have any questions or want me to test anything, Ill do my best to help out.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    SZQ likes this.
  4. thundergodz

thundergodz Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, i am been lurking around this forum for sometime since i got my refurbished dell venue 11 pro 7139 last year. Since then i was interested in upgrading my dell and pass down my dell to my sis since she going of to college. I was considering surface 1st but after stumbling on the acer aspire switch alpha 12, i feel that this is a much better value buy. Although my process of getting one was not a good experience, got my order with discount canceled from acer store and had to deal with their customer service that was not smooth flowing either.

I finally receive my acer today, my was quite impressed i would say. Though i notice that the pen have quite some delay following my writing if i am trying to write my character small on one note, but if i do a continuous stroke it can sort of keep up. I was wondering if anyone else is feeling this. One more thing i notice my display driver keep crashing and recovered. Should i be wary of some issue with my unit or this is something that can be fix with driver update or setting? My screen also auto brighten and dim even my adaptive brightness is off, especially when i open new tabs or close one. Another thing, can someone introduce to me some benchmark test that would be good to test out the unit.

P.S: Have anyone in the US know some screen protector for the unit?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  5. PJE

PJE Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the $750 i5/8GB/256GB/Backlit keyboard model to which I've added the active stylus. I've been very impressed with the unit as a whole, with the battery life and pen jitter being the main areas I would like improved.

The stylus is much nicer than the one on my old HP Elitepad, with a Surface Pro 4 like soft tip and a nice thin profile, but the input into OneNote has jitter in the straight lines making the text less readable. Some of my drawing applications have pen smoothing built in, and in those applications the stylus is fine.

Gaming performance has been more than acceptable on older games - I've played Tomb Raider (2013) with more than adequate screen resolution and detail for a number of hours on external power and the back got hotter than I preferred, so I used a small USB fan powered from a charger blowing on the back and temperatures fall back to normal. I find this requirement to be a fair trade off for the quiet fanless design for the other 99% of the time.

I would prefer another hour or two of battery life to allow me to carry the unit for a full day without worrying about power, but the charger isn't too large, and I replaced the AC cable with the spare cable-less plug off my HP Elitepad to make the PSU more portable.

Overall I'm more than happy with this unit, and you can't beat the price.

efjay likes this.
  6. PJE

PJE Pen Pal - Newbie

For those interested, here's a picture of the pen next to the power supply with the plug adaptor I'm using off the HP tablet. You can see the size if the cable it replaces, the attached DC cable is just long enough for me...

[​IMG]

SZQ likes this.
  7. thundergodz

Any one have issue with adaptive brightness turn off and the screen to flicker bright and dim when swapping between program, opening/closing program?

8. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Check the Intel driver control panel and disable the power saving settings, should do the trick.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  9. thundergodz

A question if my benchmark score is below the score from a review site by 8% should i be concerned?

10. PJE

PJE Pen Pal - Newbie

Which version do you have?

There will probably be a slight difference between the 128GB and 256GB SSD models due to the performance of the drive - most recent 128GB drives seem to be slower than their 256GB versions as the larger drive can share the data over more memory chips which allows more parallel reads and writes.

Also, are you benchmarking in max performance mode?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.