Acer Aspire R7 with Haswell and Active Digitizer--first impressions and discussion

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Doggie, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uncaringbear

uncaringbear Pen Pal - Newbie

For those of you with the 572 model, how has the screen surface held up with regular pen use? When I see the R7 in the store, the screen surface feels very plastic and I'm concerned about the pen nib scratching or marring the screen surface.

2. gerg

gerg Scribbler - Standard Member

The R7 is no longer available from Best Buy and I do not see it for sale in the U.S. Acer store either. Does anyone know if it is being refreshed or simply discontinued?

3. FinancialWar

FinancialWar Scribbler - Standard Member

does anyone know to get a R7 in Australia, Sydney?

4. AndroidPCguy

AndroidPCguy Pen Pal - Newbie

any info on a new R7 ?

5. azaniramsan

azaniramsan Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I purchased my R7-572G with 850M earlier this month. Truly a mastepiece, suits all my need. Nice keyboard for programming, great pen for sketching, above-average gaming capabilities and out of all, the 7 hours battery life (with SSD, 5 and half with HDD). It was preinstalled with win 8.1 and other acer software. I want to migrate using SSD for faster performance and better battery life. So I did :

1. Backup my files and windows licenses - DONE
    2. Open back cover, remove HDD and install SSD - DONE
    3. Install windows 8.1 without any preloaded driver and software into SSD and import the license - DONE
    4. Install drivers and make sure system is running properly - DONE

All done, no problem, except that i'm missing the "palm recognition" software from acer. Everytime I want to draw something if my palm rested on the screen, touch input will interrupt stylus, making it frustrating for drawing with your palm on the screen. Note that this is NOT the case in previous windows installation in HDD (preloaded), it seems that I'm missing this particular acer software/driver that "disables touch input if pen input is active". I looked everywhere in google and acer support websites for this and no luck at all yet.

Pen pressure works perfectly using newest x64 wintab driver like it was on previous installation, even in krita and sai.

Can someone help me with this ? Where is this software ? "AccuFinger_TouchTools_ScreenGrasp" from acer driver support doesn't solve this.

ps: Hi, new member here

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  6. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

azaniramsan likes this.
  7. azaniramsan

azaniramsan Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks! that's what I need, better than that palm-recognition from acer software as it requires the pen present at least 1 cm from the screen to be active. :)

----

Also for anyone who are doing fresh installation, you don't have to install any acer software for the pen to work properly. :

1. Install driver from acer support page
    2. Install nvidia mobile graphic driver (if present on your R7)
    3. Install duo sense driver specific for acer R7-572 from here : http://www.n-trig.com/Content.aspx?Page=Downloads_Drivers
    4. Install wintab driver from here http://www.n-trig.com/Content.aspx?Page=wintab
    5. Install app for disabling touch as mentioned by whazzup above

----

Ah, another question, anyone here using ArtDock featured in surfaceproartists.com using R7 ? I tried using it but there seem to be script error using latest version of autohotkey. Which version of autohotkey that works with current ArtDock release is not clear and I cannot find any uploaded older version of autohotkey.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  8. tablet guy

tablet guy Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I own an Acer R7-572G tablet pc and am experiencing screen retention/ghosting issues around the sides, it usually occurs when I switch pages and programs with high constrast ex. white web page to black photoshop ui. What's wrong? How do i fix it? Thanks.

9. uncaringbear

uncaringbear Pen Pal - Newbie

That sounds like it could be a hardware issue with the backlight. How long has the problem been going on? Did it just start occurring out of the blue? It probably won't help, but I'd check to make sure you have the latest graphic card driver installed from Acer, or from Intel. I use the latter on my R7. If that doesn't help, you may need to consider taking it in for servicing.

10. tablet guy

tablet guy Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi thanks
    for the response, it's been occurring ever since I purchased it, I've tried updating my video card driver but it's still occurs :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.