Acer Aspire R7 with Haswell and Active Digitizer--first impressions and discussion

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Doggie, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RMansfield

RMansfield Pen Pal - Newbie

A few weeks back, I ordered the Surface Pro 3 pen to try with my Acer Aspire R7-572. I was shocked that it was shipped overnight and it arrived today. I guess Microsoft thought my pen was just as important as those who had ordered those Surface Pro 3s that were shipped out to arrive today.

I had confirmed already with SurfaceProArtist on another forum that the pen would, indeed, work with my R7.

Having received it, I can already tell that this will be my pen of choice. It's a little bit heavier as well as longer, which gives it a nice balance in the hand.

I did pair the R7 via Blutooth, but even in doing so, it's a Bluetooth connection to nowhere. It shows up as connected, but tapping the top button does not launch OneNote like on the Surface Pro 3. Nor will it wake the R7 up from sleep.

I'd love to see some hacks that would give this button some kind of functionality. Perhaps that will eventually happen.

[​IMG]

twospirits and San_Culottes like this.
  2. brunoosti

brunoosti Pen Pal - Newbie

I've noticed something interesting:
    Under some circumstances the pen can get interference from the power source and behave in a really odd way. It may have to do with electromagnetic fields...
    Today, at work, I connected the R7-572 to the plug and suddenly the pen stated tracing some lines on the intervals of my handwriting i did not intend to draw. Most of the times when i tried to erase stuff using the scribble erase. It took some time before i realize that it was the power source that was interfering in some way with the pen. At home this doesn't happen.

3. uncaringbear

uncaringbear Pen Pal - Newbie

There has been reports that florescent light displays can interfere with the N-Trig pen digitizer.

4. brunoosti

Recently i've noticed something that really bothered me : (
    By any means a small scratch appeared on the screen : /. I take really good care so that things like this doesn't happen. Well.. when i was examining it closely noticed that there where scratches all over around the display : //////. Most on the frame area than in the middle of the screen. And maybe that little most noticeable scratch was caused by those other ones....
    You can see it better if you use your breath to fog the screen. I'll take pictures later to show you. Could those be caused during the manufacturing process? Would that be normal (don't think so)?
    The worst is that i bought it a couple months ago when I was on vacation in the US, but i live in Brazil... so, maybe (for sure), i'll not be covered by warranty.

5. twospirits

twospirits Scribbler - Standard Member

This isn't the first time I've heard of micro scratches on a N-Trig device. It was one of the reasons why I was somewhat hesitant on getting the Sony Flip last year. It was back then that I heard stories of digitizers being scratched by the stylus being used. But then again, it also happens on wacom stylus as well (recently on the Lenovo Yoga series).
    And while some may question how can a plastic tip stylus scratch a glass display, The issue was brought up back in 2011 in this thread.

Supposedly, there may be a way to remove the scratches (do a search on both you tube and amazon) but personally I feel that using any sort of compound can make matters worse.

TS

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. twospirits

Sorry for the back to back post, but I feel that adding this into the previous post wouldn't be the best thing to do since it is a totally different topic.

Its funny how one does a full 180 degree turn in certain things.
    The Aspire R7 was originally one of the few laptops I was looking at last year along with the Flip series and the never released ATIV Q but decided on the Flip since it had a digitizer and the R7 didn't have one back then. Fast forward to today and the once awesome Sony Flip 13A is gathering dust since it recently fell into the canyon of fan noise hell. In the meantime I am using an old HP non-Touch/digitizer laptop. :mad:-
    I miss using the digitizer and now that the Aspire R7 has one I am planning on getting it.

But I am a bit confused on a few things and hopefully you folks can help me out in providing a few answers.

So far I take it that there are 3 versions of the R7-572 available in U.S./Canada
    • -The Canadian R7-572-6637,
    • -The US Best Buy R7-572-6423 and
    • -The Non-Best Buy US version R7-572-6805.
    • -(Then you get into the 572G which I believe is only available overseas).

I compiled a Google sheet doc on the datasheet info provided by Acer for these models and I see a few things not showing up on one datasheet as oppose to the others. Therefore here are my questions on the specs alone...
    (please refer to the Google doc)
    • Row 06: Canadian version only has Windows 8.0, the other two have Windows 8.1, correct?
    • Row 17: Total number of MB memory slots missing on the Best Buy datasheet. (I assume it also has 2 dimm slots)
    • Row 21: Canadian version has 750 GB HD, the other two seem to be 1TB.
    • Row 27: Display Screen Technology should be the same across all three models or is the Best Buy one different?
    • Row 39:The Non-Best Buy version has the Bluetooth info missing? Does anyone know if model R7-572-6805 has Bluetooth?
    • Row 49: Acer converter port missing on the Best Buy datasheet. Does the model have one?
    • Row 51: Canadian version only has Windows 8.0, the other two have Windows 8.1
    • Row 55: No indication that the Best Buy version has a back-lit keyboard on the datasheet. I believe it is back-lit.
    • Row 72: Anyone know the package contents of the Best Buy version (especially the notebook number).
    • Row 76: Wireless LAN has 802.11ac for the Non-BestBuy version. Correct?

Now aside from those questions on the datasheet alone, I'm curious about something pertaining to availability, location and warranty.
    The Canadian seller (NCIX.ca) now has distribution centers in the U.S. and sells to U.S. customers thru its NCIXUS site. The R7s' being sold there seem to have the Canadian model numbers only. So if I were to buy that model instead of the Best Buy version, how would the warranty work? Especially since I am a NY/USA resident.
    The same question applies for ebay. Most of the ones on there seem to be Best Buy versions but there are a few that are the Non-BestBuy R7-572-6805 version.

Again, sorry for the long post and so many questions.

TS

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    Vlad1214 likes this.
  7. brunoosti

Mine was purchased at BestBuy : p
    It's 1TB, 8gb ram, back-lit keyboard, windows 8.1, converter port is there (but the accessory is not included) , aaaand, scratched screen : p
    didn't came with the pen, which i had to purchase at acer's store.

About the "micro" scratches. They are huge! LOL, but not easily noticeable. They are curved lines really from the top to the bottom of the screen ... : ( Id guess from some screen testing on the manufacturing process?? Couldn't be...
    Also the really noticeable one is in a spot where i've never touched the pen.

8. brunoosti

9. Vlad1214

Vlad1214 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all :) ,... Im a freenalce 2d artist .. and for a while I was looking for a "portable" wacom cintiq alternative .. ,..
    Im veeeery interested in the Acer R7 .. (because of price and big screen :D ) .. but I need help in order to decide .. I read that Ntrig and photoshop now are working and have pressure sensitivity ,..
    and that other programs that use Wintab drivers can work now too ..
    I own a wacom intuos 5 tablet .. and an old fujistsu 5020 convertible tablet pc .. :p XD ,.. what I need to know or if someone here is so kind to tell or describe me how the Ntrig pen actually behave with the pen preassure and photoshop . or Painter ( that is the other program I use ) .. Im not expecting same Wacom performance .. but something close maybe ? ..
    Surface Pro 3: What Runs, What Doesn't — Surface Pro Artist regarding this ,.. a lot of programs "work" and I think if in SP3 work in Acer and Sony they should work too ,right ?
    but what bugs me is how good they work / behave regarding pen pressure , accuracy ,strokes .. the only one vid I found was this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgfzm1g3lv4
    I dont live in US .. and if I buy it Im kind of doing this somehow blind and with a leap of fate ..

thanks to all in advance.

10. twospirits

The link just gives me the ongoing circle and nothing comes up, but looking at the one pic in your post and I see what you mean. Shame you didn't open it and test it when you were in the U.S. before going back to Brazil. I would contact Acer and see if they can do anything about it.

TS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.