Acer Aspire R7 with Haswell and Active Digitizer--first impressions and discussion

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Doggie, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sounds like you got a great deal @mercyreaper. That's $300 less than I paid in December and I thought that was a great value too.

2. mercyreaper

mercyreaper Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes but mine was refurbished so not the same thing as a brand new one although it looks like it! It does not come with a cleaning cloth or a wrist pad like the retail version does so I had to buy those separately.

3. PenguinJim

PenguinJim Pen Pal - Newbie

No. It is not MXM and not upgradeable.

4. brunoosti

brunoosti Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks!
    I think the R7-572 is more than enough for studying purposes, though. Mostly PDF and Onenote

5. cartoonmonkeystudio

cartoonmonkeystudio Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there a way to order the SSD / NVidia version of this in the USA, and also.. does the Ntrig driver fix pressure in all wintab apps, like say.. paint tool sai?

6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No, unfortunately, the NTrig drivers seem geared only to Photoshop. I haven't been able to get anything else to recognize pressure.

7. Seggybop

Seggybop Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys,
    I've confirmed Sai is fully working with the new R7, but you need to use the latest beta version. Also, it was necessary to uninstall the new ntrig wintab driver for it to work. Photoshop retains functionality after uninstalling it, so I'm not sure what's up with that. This is pretty exciting to me, because it pretty much kills Wacom as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. mitchellvii

mitchellvii Scribbler - Standard Member

Have had this R7-572 for a while now and pretty happy with it. Came here from a Yoga 2 Pro which I loved except for no pen support (why Lenovo, why?). I actually rarely use a pen because I'm not an artist and type faster than I can write by hand,but for those times I DO need it, I like knowing the functionality is there.

I don't think of this as a tablet at all. Too large and heavy for that. I think of it more as a very flexible laptop. As a matter of fact, unless I am using the pen I pretty much never have it in tablet mode. However, the ezel hinge is excellent for any conceivable angle as it holds whatever you set it at very solidly.

So, if you are looking for mostly tablet keep looking. If however you are looking for a flexible laptop, this is great choice.

BTW, for those who asked, pretty easy to drop an SSD in here. Just be careful with the speaker wires that you don't handle them too roughly during install.

9. Pryor

Pryor Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought my acer r7 572g last february 2014. every thing was going great, even tested the pen and found no problems. Playing games is another issue. The sound of the fans were too loud for me, it wouldn't be an issue for me since i thought i'm playing graphic intense games. I felt the area around the touchpad where the fan sound was coming out & presumably located, and find it disturbingly hot. im no computer expert so i tried searching online for programs to measure gpu temps and discovered temps reaching 98C while playing games, 2 degrees shy of boiling point. :eek: :eek: :eek:

i downloaded another program "furmark", and again confirmed gpu temps reaching 98C. Even compared the temps with my other lenovo laptop. while it seems not practical to compare two different computers with different specs and manufacturer, i was just shocked to find out that my lenovo was only reaching 75C-80C only, considering acer have better "ultrabook" specs.

i brought my unit back to where i purchased the unit and told them about my issue. the manager just felt the touchpad and was also surprised with how hot the unit was. he agreed to replace the unit and while waiting for the replacement, he allowed me to use the old one for the meantime.

a month later, the replacement unit came. i told them if i could run Furmark to check if it also has the same issue. although it doesn't reach 98C, it's still reaches 90C consistently, still too hot for me. Now the manager told me that they have to bring both the old & the new units back to the manufacturer and i have to wait for the results.

am i the only one with this fan/ heat issue? could other users please check their unit & post their temp results using furmark? i have the 572g model, i7 with nvidia gt750. i make sure the vents are not covered when im using it.

sorry for the long rant, im just desperate for answers. to be honest im completely satisfied with the unit apart from the heat issues. if they insist that the temperatures im experiencing are "normal", then i guess i have to ask for a change of unit. im eyeing asus n550jk.

10. Casey4147

Casey4147 Pen Pal - Newbie

Howdy, all.

Just breaking in a factory-refurbished Acer R7-572. Been playing with it for a couple of days and I think I'm in love. Immediately swapped the 1TB hard drive out for a PNY 2.5"-format 240GB SSD - hadn't realized that the R7 had an M-SATA slot or I probably would have ordered one of those, but since I was looking for speed AND potential extended battery life from losing the spinning drive motor, I don't know if I'd have left the hard drive installed.

Took a chance on a Dell Latitude ST XT3 N-Trig Stylus I found on eBay for $20 and it turns out to work perfectly.

Just thought I'd join the forum here, saw a lot of good info on it when I was reading through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.