Acer Aspire R7 with Haswell and Active Digitizer--first impressions and discussion

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Doggie, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gerg

gerg Scribbler - Standard Member

Take the R7 back to BestBuy, show them the problem, and ask them to let you try a new pen.

2. turbo87

turbo87 Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually I did go back to best buy and tried another pen (their Sony demo pen from another Sony computer) on the R7 demo model and had the same problem. So not sure what's going on. I am assuming no one else has/had this problem.

3. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

Worked fine with both the Acer and Sony stylii. Commendable effort on trying to recognise my awful scribbles:

[video=youtube_share;gGTK36vpW1M]http://youtu.be/gGTK36vpW1M[/video]

4. turbo87

turbo87 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the video.

I did go back to bestbuy and we tried two separate pens on the R7 and the Sony Machines. The pen worked on all the Sony Machines. Both of the pens exhibited the same issue/problem on the Acer R7. In any case, i returned the Sony Pen and will try to get the Acer pen. Was hoping to save $10 bucks.

5. kekinash

kekinash Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you disconnected the Acer from the power supply and tried again? Mine has problems when connected to the mains, because the fluorescents lights over my desktop. If I move the acer to another location without the lights or disconnect it from the power supply, the problem disappears. I'm using the Sony Stylus with the Acer and it works great.

6. turbo87

turbo87 Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually, that's the first thing i did, based on your response to the other thread. no luck. i mean what are the odds of three pens not working on the three different acers, while all of them worked on the sony. the bestbuy geek squad was not really helpful. they wrote it off to compatibility issues between sony and acer. shame really, since i really liked the feel of the sony pen.

7. kekinash

kekinash Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, double checked it, and you're right! I have the same symptoms using the Sony stylus, seems you found a bug. Let's hope some future update will fix it.

8. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

I remembered when I had my first Acer R7 (this is my 3rd unit after encountering the bios issue), I had done the handwriting tests on Windows. I remembered it helped a lot. Did you do that?

I actually like both stylii for different things. The Sony stylus is longer and better in the hand, but the nib contact (within the pen) is metal, so there's a slightly louder tap sound, and it's more rigid. In comparison, the Acer stylus is shorter and doesn't feel as good, but the nib contact is plastic, so you feel a slight give when you apply pressure. Give a bit more friction, which I like.

The nibs are not compatible, as they have slightly different lengths.

9. brunoosti

brunoosti Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the R7-572 upgradable to 572G??

10. mercyreaper

mercyreaper Pen Pal - Newbie

Just received my refurbished Acer a few days ago from Amazon, they had it for only $599 and it has worked great out of the box. I ordered 16GB of RAM for it and an mSATA 240GB hard drive to go along with the 1TB for extra storage. I loaded it windows 8.1 without any issues on the new hard drive, I also ordered the Acer stylus and it works very well out of the box and I got the pressure sensitivity to work in photoshop 32 bit based on information in this thread (thank you!!).

So far I am really loving the form factor on this laptop and how I can just move the screen around to whatever angle I see fit and the versatility of a tablet added in makes it a great all in one tool for business uses as well. I bought the Microsoft arc mouse (Bluetooth version) so I could have a travel mouse that folds up nicely for storage.

I am still getting used to such a great product and I hope they keep this form factor for future revisions, what can I say I am a fan!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.