Acer Aspire R7 with Haswell and Active Digitizer--first impressions and discussion

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Doggie, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Natejka7273

Natejka7273 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey everyone,

So I already own a Surface Pro, which I love, but I've been looking for a more full-size computer (15in+) with active stylus and preferably slightly better specs. I mostly use the stylus for note taking rather than drawing, so N-trig is fine. The R7 is by far my favorite, but I definitely want the i7, NVIDIA version. Does anyone know if this version will be released in the U.S.? Or does anyone know of a company to import it from that won't charge an arm and a leg?

2. Doggie

Doggie Scribbler - Standard Member

My impression is that the only version available in US is the best buy version which is an I5. I have a SP2 also and my impression is that they are about the same in terms of speed. It is the hard drive that slows down the Acer as compared to the SP2.

3. Natejka7273

Natejka7273 Pen Pal - Newbie

Definitely correct. If I'm able to find a version with the dedicated graphics, I already have a nice Samsung 840 Pro SSD to put in it. Does anyone know the real-world performance difference between the 4200U (i5) and 4500U (i7) CPUs? The Vaio Flip 15 is the other one I'm looking at, but it sounds shockingly buggy for such an expensive computer. I'm far more okay with not accessing the BIOS than some of the things Vaio users have experienced.

4. Lurk

Lurk Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi! Looking for info about R7-572 model.

1. Any info about sRGB/aRGB coverage in R7-572 display? Or maybe a LCD panel part number?
    2. What accesoires/adapters were in the notebook's box?

5. balistic

balistic wacom jock

In answer to 2: it comes with:

a cleaning cloth for the screen
    a padded, folding wrist rest (this was pretty nice, was sad to send it back)
    the AC/charging adapter

6. gerg

gerg Scribbler - Standard Member

HWINFO is reporting AU Optronics AUO12ED B156HAN01.2 for the LCD.

7. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. Lurk

Lurk Pen Pal - Newbie

balistic, gerg, whazzup, thanks a lot for usefull information :)

A bit to the last post with calibration info - it's near 90% sRGB area coverage, cause ACER native colors are a bit driven from standart. Anyway, after calibration, gray balance and color reproduction are perfect. Levels of brightness adjustments are very good too - on my R7 after calibration there are from 13 cd/m2 up to 274 cd/m2.

Any in Russia there in no folding wrist rest, only acer port -> USB, VGA, LAN converter inside QQ

9. turbo87

turbo87 Pen Pal - Newbie

Picked up a new r7 from best buy yesterday. Trying to use the Sony pen and doesn't seem to work in the top panel of the pen input keyboard. Bottom one seems fine. This only happens when I am trying to insert text into forms, Like searching, notepad, etc. Any of you pen experts know what's going on? I tried the pen on an r7 at best buy and got the same results. Seems odd.

10. gerg

gerg Scribbler - Standard Member

I would rather have the converter and not the wrist rest...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.