Acer Aspire R7 with Haswell and Active Digitizer--first impressions and discussion

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Doggie, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitchellvii

mitchellvii Scribbler - Standard Member

For anyone reading this because they are considering the R7, one of the things I really enjoy having owned numerous laptops, tablets and hybrids over the years is just how sturdy this feels. Sure it is a few pounds heavier that the Surface Pro or Yoga 2 Pro, but it feels like every pound is earned with solid quality materials. My Yoga 2 Pro felt fragile. This does not.

AndroidPCguy likes this.
  2. balistic

balistic wacom jock

Mitchell, I have said this at least once before, but I guess I will say it again: using the ruler was a demonstration to eliminate factors like a wobbly hand, because I understood in advance that people would want to shoot me down. People like to justify their purchases, I get it. I tried to justify mine for three weeks and just couldn't do it, even though it cost me half as much as I'm likely to spend on a Wacom-based tablet, and that amount of money is not chump change for me.

The jitter is plainly evident in any medium-to-low--speed, freehand stroke. One to two inches per second is a pretty typical, careful, inking/stroking speed in any media, and the N-Trig could not accurately reproduce those movements.. 95% of my hand movements were well accommodated by the R7, but it's that last 5% -- carving out the perfect compound contour for a shoulder blade or eyelid -- where it dropped the ball.

gerg, stoneseeker and jwdink like this.
  3. balistic

balistic wacom jock

Hi gerg!

Wacom *definitely* isn't perfect, but the difference is that any significant amount of jitter on a Wacom display is considered a defect, and you can usually wrangle a replacement machine with much tighter performance. Wacom has replaced for me a 21" Cintiq that had a noticeable amount of jitter along just one edge of the screen, and most OEMs who build Wacom Penabled tablets will do the same (I grant that these tablets are typically at least business/prosumer level devices). I've never seen any Wacoms that were as spastic as my R7, and the jitter you do get tends to be a gentle oscillation that doesn't overly distort small features.

Based on my experience at Best Buy, I doubt Acer or Sony have any non-jittery machines to send people.

My workflow is, I think, typical for a digital painter. I do an initial sketch in gray with a very broad marker tool (think of something the width of your smallest finger). This is just to define the placement of large masses and have a sort of map of the composition. Then I create a new layer and use a smaller, pencil-ish tool to do a tighter drawing on top of the sketch. From there I'll either do finished line work on top of the tight sketch, or block in objects with paint brushes if I'm doing something more painterly.

For roughs the N-Trig was fine, but for clean-up I ended up running back to my Toshiba, despite the fact that it runs too hot to hold and has a terrible screen with a fair amount of parallax.

You can see some of my stuff at my website. Be advised that the life drawing section contains nudity.

http://brianprince.squarespace.com/

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. mitchellvii

This has been my point all along. Acer did not drop the ball. You just bought the wrong ball. The R7 is priced and designed for mass market acceptance while Wacom devices costing twice as much are enthusiast products. I don't get upset that my $200 video card gets fewer FPS than the $400 model and imply that somehow Nvidia screwed up.

It's not a matter of me defending the R7 to "justify my purchase" as you so condescendingly put it. I knew what I was buying with the R7 and I got it. Your expectations were unrealistic and now you are unhappy - usually how that goes.

5. balistic

balistic wacom jock

You've been insanely condescending to me since word one, dogg (why would you use a ruler, you're drawing weird, etc).

edited to add:

When a technology is marketed as being good for art (and both N-Trig and Acer make this claim), I don't think it's unreasonable to expect performance that at least matches that of a competing technology from ten years ago. Your GPU comparison falls flat because basically nobody out there aside from Ron Frenden* is making any kind of science out of evaluating digitizers. On paper the N-Trig looks great.

My mistake was not visiting Best Buy prior to ordering the machine, but the fact that it was the crescendo of the holiday rush , as well as my past horrible experiences at that store ("I can't let you write on the screen like that" "Oh, somebody stole the stylus for that one, sorry" ") kept me away.

I was utterly shocked yesterday that they actually a stylus on hand.

*http://frenden.com/tagged/review

6. mitchellvii

Just did a Thread Search for the phrase "drawing weird". That phrase has never been used by anyone (except you just now) and certainly not by me with regards to you. As far as asking why you were using a ruler on an electronic tablet - well dogg, it is a reasonable question. :)

Anyway, good luck with Wacom or whatever it is you buy instead. The R7 is a damned good reliable Volkswagen but it will never be a Porsche.

7. gerg

gerg Scribbler - Standard Member

Brian,

Thanks for the response. I did spend a little too much time on this yesterday, including looking at your site. Some very nice work there!

You may find this thread interesting if you have not already seen it: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/sony/59197-sony-vaio-duo-13-digital-art-illustration.html. Unfortunately it does seem to hold true that to overcome the jitter you have to make quick strokes. Also going back and forth between machines is no bueno.

Here's hoping that we continue to see improvements in the technology. At least now there are new purchase options in a segment that seemed to be stagnating.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. jwdink

jwdink Pen Pal - Newbie

What kind of battery life are people getting with this? It's rated for 6.5 hours, is that accurate?

9. Doggie

Doggie Scribbler - Standard Member

In short--yes.

10. -jan-

-jan- Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi wazzup,

did you solve the BIOS issue? Is there a fix for that or a way how to prevent that (appart of avoiding BIOS)?
    I am having exactly same problem! Went to BIOS, exited without saving = blackscreen for good.
    Now I am waiting for the replacment unit but I would prefer not to repeat it all over again....
    Avoiding BIOS is not an option, especially knowing that it would brick the unit once you get there.
    I have i7 with Nvidia as well.

Any advice?
    Thanks!
    Jan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.