Acer Aspire R7 with Haswell and Active Digitizer--first impressions and discussion

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Doggie, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. balistic

balistic wacom jock

I fear that my R7 journey is at an end.

The Sony stylus finally arrived and confirmed that my jitter problem lies in the machine itself. Tier 2 tech support suggested I send it in, but that would bust clear out of my 30-day return window, so ... back it goes.

It's a real shame, as I liked the machine otherwise. So big and quiet. I may swing by Best Buy to see if they have one I can test the Sony stylus on, to check if my machine was just a lemon or more like the norm, but I have a feeling I'm going to end up with a less-sexy Wacom-based machine, just to stick with a familiar evil.

Please no suggestions that I was using it wrong. I wasn't asking it to do anything I wasn't doing on a 12x12" Wacom ArtZ over a serial port in 1999. Either the R7 was broken, or N-Trig still has some work to do.

stoneseeker likes this.
  2. mitchellvii

mitchellvii Scribbler - Standard Member

@balistic,

Sorry to hear it hasn't worked out for you. I don't think there is much of an argument that Wacom is superior to N-trig. Don't know why Acer went N-trig, whether it is cheaper to implement or what. It seems like your use was very particular to what you want to do artwise. 98% of regular users (like me) will never have an issue with this and at $899 I think the R7 was targeted at the masses as opposed to being an enthusiast product. In other words, I doubt yours is broken - just how it works. :-(

Technology is like that. Seems something is so perfect in so many ways but always lacks that one key thing you need. I was like that with the Yoga 2 Pro. Absolutely perfect device, no pen. Back it went.

Dream device? 13.3" R7 with Wacom Digitizer and 128 GB SSD for $999.

3. balistic

balistic wacom jock

I think N-Trig competes not just on price, but because they have a "one chip" solution, which handles both pen and touch in one package. Wacom, as far as I know, still requires two separate chips for pen and touch, which is more complicated for a system builder to implement. This may have changed in recent years though.

There are other things N-Trig is doing right ... I thought I'd hate having the pen in the battery, but if it really lasts the 18 months they claim, that's a complete non-issue vs. Wacom. Parallax (the distance between where the physical pen tip is and where the OS places the cursor) on my R7 was very hard to detect, even without calibration. That really impressed me.

I'm rooting for them, because Wacom needs competition.

4. gerg

gerg Scribbler - Standard Member

You prompted me to try this again, on my Acer R7 and Asus EP-121. Yes, the N-Trig deviates from a straight diagonal line more noticeably and more often, while the jitter is mostly (but not entirely) imperceptible on the Wacom. No, the N-Trig wasn't causing me to curse the corner inaccuracy; the Wacom gave me grief trying to click on the Manga Studio close box, so I had to use the mouse.

Hmm, also I just noticed that the deviations are repeatable. Using a ruler, draw a line, then reverse and go back over it. The jitter happens in the same places on both strokes. It seems the issue is more with the digitizer and software than the stylus.

5. balistic

balistic wacom jock

Yeah, I observed the same. The bumps presumably align with the grid of antennas under the screen (or something, I'm no engineer).

6. balistic

balistic wacom jock

Sorry to bomb the thread a bunch today, but just wanted to give some closure:

All the N-Trig machines at my local Best Buy (2 VAIOs and another R7) exhibit the same behavior to the same degree.

So it's a DuoSense 2 thing, which my workflow exposes in a major way.

Which is good to know, and what I should've done two weeks ago.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. koblongata

koblongata Pen Pal - Newbie

Great thread,

Curious though, I have a surface pro 2, while impressed by it's pressure sensitivity, but quite disappointed by it's accuracy even after extensive calibration, not only it is useless at the borders, even in the middle area, the cursor would always drift away 1mm or 2 from the pen tip depending on how close it is to the borders. For painting stuff, it's OK, but for line arts where you need pin point accuracy to connect lines perfectly, it's really hard to do so, and I am more into line arts... I would love to know if n-trig's pen is better for the job...

8. gerg

gerg Scribbler - Standard Member

There have been any number of other threads about jitter with Wacom, Photoshop, advice to draw faster to avoid jitter, and so on, leading me to think that it is not just N-Trig's problem. Also I have seen a few examples of art done using N-Trig and thought they were very nicely done. Obviously some people work in a fashion that does not expose the weakness.

I am Not An Artist but would be very interested in hearing some details of your workflow, if you don't mind explaining. Just curious! Thanks.

9. mitchellvii

mitchellvii Scribbler - Standard Member

Well if you are using a ruler to draw straight lines, why not just draw quickly or use the line tool? If you draw fast no jitter. I guess I don't understand the need to draw straight lines slowly in freehand?

10. jwdink

jwdink Pen Pal - Newbie

I was wondering why corner accuracy was such a big deal! That's a perfect example where it would really matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.