Acer Aspire R7 with Haswell and Active Digitizer--first impressions and discussion

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Doggie, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndroidPCguy

AndroidPCguy Pen Pal - Newbie

I wanna do a RAM upgrade
    already 8gig in my R7 572,do i have to buy two 8gig chips? or can I just buy 1 8gig to get to 12gig memory?

2. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

Both options are fine actually. If you are worried about the dual channel ram issue, so far I haven't seen strong evidence of noticeable performance differences, other than synthetic benchmarks.

But if you're those that will constantly have a nagging 'I should have...', then just spend the extra cash to go 2x8G for peace of mind.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  3. Doggie

Doggie Scribbler - Standard Member

There are several programs that allow you to tweak keyboard key mapping. From other forums, if you turn off the windows key on the keyboard, it will also turn off the capacitive touch windows button. I have not tried this on my R7 yet but plan to before the next big batch of papers I want to markup.

mitchellvii likes this.
  4. whazzup

I was looking for software that allows me to change the Windows key to only activate when Double Clicked.

Didn't find anything though, so what you said seems to be the best way for now....

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  5. mitchellvii

mitchellvii Scribbler - Standard Member

Will look into this, thanks.

** Confirmed. Downloaded KeyTweak from Tucows (make sure you click DECLINE on all the extra junk they ask you to install) and disabled Windows Button. The haptic feedback still happens but the button does nothing.

Is there a place we can disable the haptic feedback?

Thanks Doggie.

** One nice thing. In Sketchbook Pro haptic feedback on the Windows Button apparently disables itself. If that is the case it must be possible to disable it elsewhere.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  6. mrjh000

mrjh000 Lurker

Two questions. First, from what I read, the Sony Flip's pen buttons seems to be programmed to launch Sony programs and cannot be changed. What does the R7 pen buttons do? Second, does anyone have any problems after updating to Windows 8.1? The Flip seems to have lots of problems with 8.1.

@whazzup
    Where did you buy your R7-572G (with the Nvidia graphic card)?

7. mitchellvii

The only issue I have seen with 8.1 on this or any other laptop is the "limited" WIFI connection bug when more than 20 feet from the router. This is easily solved by assigning your R7 a Static IP Address in Networking.

Other than that, no problems I have encountered.

My biggest issue with the Flip (amongst many issues I have with the Flip) is that you get two choices, the screen is either up in laptop mode or down in tablet mode. With the R7 you also get all the positions in between due to the sturdy Ezel hinge. This can be very handy.

8. AndroidPCguy

AndroidPCguy Pen Pal - Newbie

My R7 came with 8.1, no update needed. No noticeable problems either

9. whazzup

They're available in retail stores in Singapore.

10. mitchellvii

Fans starting to get noisy again today. Don't understand this. For days fans will be whisper quiet and barely run then suddenly they start churning from off to full blast to off again over and over. Bizarre. Nothing has changed. No software added. No settings changed. Odd.

Wonder what the hell causes this?

Also getting a bit more light bleed from the corners than before. Sigh, after owning a number of these laptops with IPS panels I have just come to accept you are going to get some light bleed eventually with all the flexing and opening and closing. It isn't bad. Only noticeable when watching a moving with a dark background. But like I said, they all do it.

** Update: And now fans back to being silent. This seems to vary depending upon the mood it woke up from sleep in. Very weird.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.