Acer Aspire R7 with Haswell and Active Digitizer--first impressions and discussion

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Doggie, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitchellvii

mitchellvii Scribbler - Standard Member

TIPS TO THOSE USING MULTIPLE VERSIONS OF OFFICE ON THEIR R7:

If you are like me, there are parts of Office 2013 which you love (OneNote, Outlook) and parts which straight up suck (font-rendering in Word). So for this reason you may wish to retain older versions of Office for something and 2013 for others. This can cause some problems, especially when doing automations.

HERE ARE MY RECOMMENDATIONS:
    1) Install your older versions Office first and run all Windows Updates on those. In order for Windows Update to recognize you have Office installed you must open an Office app and activate it. Windows Update will then see it and download Office Updates. This may require a few rounds of updates so keep doing it until no more updates are available.
    2) Install Office 2013.
    3) Go back to your earlier version of Office and REPAIR THE INSTALLATION. This should fix anything the Office 2013 installation broke.

Now you should be able to have multiple versions of Office happily co-existing.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  2. jwdink

jwdink Pen Pal - Newbie

Very good to know and very good to hear.

Again, great advice, thanks. That's really horrible that they do that. Do programs like PC Decrapifier help with stuff like this? Like you said, obvious bloatware is one thing, but stuff they secretly add on without your knowledge seems especially annoying-- like there's no way to start with a truly fresh install.

3. mitchellvii

On the other hand, one of the reasons they can sell these amazing PC's to us so cheaply is that all that crapware helps pay the bills. I never trust those all-in-one bloatware removers. Any third party apps which are making wholesale registry changes are risky IMHO.

4. gerg

gerg Scribbler - Standard Member

I run Samsung Magician and do not have any issue with the fan. Magician will automatically manage a RAM disk with the 840 Pro and 840 Evo SSDs - it is called Rapid Mode - and I think that is a good thing. Have not seen it doing anything else in the background.

5. mitchellvii

Yep it does some nice things. I think maybe my problem was that I ran "OS Optimization" with it. This could be where the problem was.

6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wouldn't recommend either the Flip or R7 as classic laptops. Not that there's anything wrong with them per se, but why pay for digitizer tech you don't intend to use?

When used in combination with touch, the Ezel mode on the R7 is much preferable because the screen is several inches closer to your hands. This is great for casual surfing and typing URLs, but you're ultimately going to want to use the touchpad (or a mouse) for serious work like clicking in small cels of a spreadsheet.

The problem with the Flip thread is that it compounds the issues found on three distinct models. My 15A has been pretty reliable since the BIOS updates were issued in early December. I haven't traveled with either laptop to see how the battery holds up for extended periods.

Hope that helps a little.

7. mitchellvii

The reason you don't see a lot of complaints regarding the R7 is that there isn't much to complain about.

With regard to the R7 vs a traditional laptop, it all depends on what you like. If a wrist rest and trackpad at the bottom is a big deal to you, then perhaps the R7 isn't the best choice. However, if like me the keys close are a plus and you rarely use the trackpad (and it is just in the way) placement above the keys is also great. That being said, the R7 can be everything a traditional laptop is and more with far greater flexibility of use.

8. jwdink

jwdink Pen Pal - Newbie

I hope so! I imagine this is part of the of reason. I get the sense that this thing is built sturdily. But I'd be remiss if I didn't mention an additional possibility: I think fewer people own this device than the Flip.

@mitchellvii & @surfaceproartist: When you do have to use the trackpad, do you find your arms/hands accidentally bump the keys? I work in bed pretty often, and I can imagine this being a potential problem.

9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Because of its placement, I don't think I've ever used the R7's trackpad. But Ezel mode is nice for video watching.

I agree that the Acer is probably not a huge seller. Remember it's Best Buy exclusive in the States and the few employees I discussed it with had no idea as to its capabilities.

10. mitchellvii

One nice thing is that since the trackpad is quite large, you can still have the screen in a forward mode and use the trackpad. This is due to the fact the screen can rest a good 1.5" above the trackpad while being viewed. You simply reach a bit beneath the screen and use the pad. And of course if that does not appeal to you you can place the screen further back.

The greatest advantage of the R7 is that you can pretty much use it how you like. The hinge is very sturdy and holds any angle solidly.

No, I never have an issue with hands hitting the keyboard as I use the trackpad. In addition, you can do you much of what you do on a trackpad simply by touching the screen itself, especially when using a pen. With regards to popularity I think it is building. The first model was kind of a bust so that didn't help along with the fact BestBuy employees are imbeciles when it comes to product knowledge. We have about 10 Bestbuy stores within 50 miles of me and they all regularly go in and out of stock which means units are moving.

I've owned the Surface Pro and the Yoga 2 Pro and I like the R7 the best of all.

** The R7 572 floor model at the BestBuy closest to me has had a non-functioning touch screen for weeks now. Apparently having broken display items does not trouble BestBuy in the least.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.