Acer 11.6" Chromebook Spin 11 convertible with Wacom EMR now available at Best Buy

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, May 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

After realizing that Android TV Paint is nigh useless by itself, my interest in penabled Chrome/Android tablets have plummeted to ZERO...

I still dream about a dual boot penabled tablet that does Chrome OS and Windows 10. But chances of that happening from a legit ODM is also about ZERO...

3. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd just be happy with standard android apps *working* on Chrome OS period. But I have a feeling that would take an actual effort from google to make happen which is as likely to happen as an android version of Clip Studio Paint. Been dying for that ever since they released the iOS version...

WillAdams likes this.
  4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Android CSP would make me instantly purchase any of the EMR Chromebooks/tablets.... But as you said, it's just a pipe dream atm.

Hell, I'm waiting to believe it when I play it regarding the Android version of Fortnite, and that's actually been announced!

5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

6. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't speak for the higher-end chromebooks or all android apps, but all the art apps I tried ran miserably. Some wouldn't even open and others had such a delay that brush strokes were near impossible. I have seen threads on other sites about people having trouble with the Samsung ones as well though so I know I'll be waiting until I see some more positive reviews before putting money into anything running Chrome OS.

kneehowguys likes this.
  7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

What kind of device were you using - oh, I guess the Spin 11, the star of this thread, duh :oops:

I have read - including in these pages - that there are some art apps that run well in Chromebook/Android with the Samsung Chromebook Pro (EMR) and the Pixelbook (AES - I own it, but I am as far from an artist as the human species has ever produced!) and the HP X2 detachable should be in the running as well. I think it may have been @artistebot who some months ago reported good results, but I can't be sure I'm remembering correctly and I don't have the time now to go through old threads/posts to see who it was, but there were more than 1 that chimed in in support of some drawing/painting apps from Windows and/or iOS that ported nicely to Android and do well on those better digitizer chromebooks. Might be worth a look for anyone who is otherwise attracted to a $600-$800 "high end" chromebook, as they beat the pants off Mac or even Windows similar size/screen/overall hardware and if the apps you need run well enough on Android/Chromebook you will be adding a device to your stable that will quickly become your go-to computer for everything else you do in your day.

By all mean do not rule it out based on the reported problems on the lowest end hardware in a Chromebook that has a digitizer at all. Happy hunting.

8. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

My kids have the Samsung Chromebook Plus and its runs Android Infinite Painter and Sketchbook Pro fairly well.

IMHO
    After over two decades of creating art using digital stylus/pen
    My first and most important criteria for art usage is how well the pen works with the device. Only Wacom EMR/Spen and Apple Pencil devices are acceptable.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Clearly this has become a tautology for artists. Thus, if Chromebook/Android is to be considered, for now it has to be a Samsung Chromebook Pro (Plus has been dumbed down and never had Intel cpu), or possibly new model announced - but not seen and tested - Acer Chromebook Spin 13, both of these are EMR (en silo to boot!) and have all that is good about Chromeos working for them, the Samsung has all that is good about S pen and Android on Chromebook working for it and it is quite affordable. Spin 13, if and when it exists in the wild and is reviewed, will have 8th gen cpu and potential to be Linux and, in 6 mos, tri-boot into Windows powerhouse potential. But most things in the Chromeos world come slower than promised, so I'd stick with the Samsung CBPro, v2.

10. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

As much as I keep trying to find another way (Got a monoprice 22HD monitor for my main desktop rig and a laptop with Wacom AES) I keep coming around to this same conclusion myself. Every time I move a drawing from my Samsung S3 to my desktop I get disappointment all over again that the pen is nothing like the spen. I should be loving having 22" of space but I just keep lamenting the accuracy.

thatcomicsguy and lovelaptops like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.