Accounting Major: Galaxy Book 12 or iPad Pro 12?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Theme57, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Yeah it used to be called Complete, AFAIK, I just went back and looked and the name has been changed, not sure when this started.

Edit: @Theme57 If you decide to instead get the LTE version from Verizon, do find out from Microsoft if they would allow you to add Performance Guard anyway. I know they do this for the Surface devices bought from other retailers, but not sure if they would allow this for other OEM's devices, but doesn't hurt to know all your options.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I'm fairly sure that MS will only cover other OEM's devices when purchased from the MS Store.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  3. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

Honestly, I think I might end up going for the Wifi model and use my phone as a hotspot. Cost to cost I'd be able to get the 8GB model for less than I'd pay with the LTE one and adding a couple extra gigs for hotspot would be less than the extra monthly fee I'd have going with Verizon. My Moto Z Play gets great battery life and charges super fast plus it's easier to control my data usage from one device. I am still on the ball about the warranty since I've never had a laptop or tablet sized device take a fall or have an issue a software update couldn't fix. I took at look at the problems on the Samsung forum too and found most issues were solved by software updates or in earlier models. Heck, even if the keyboard went down I have my Microsoft Wedge as a backup. At this point it's still speculation since I need to try the device out in person to see how I like it. Although, at this point it seems like a clear winner in my book, no pun intended ;)

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  4. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

I had some time today to try it out at my local Best Buy with it in stock. Sadly the pen on display had a tip broken and was floppy like one of the dolls you can make look broken by holding a button down. I did get it to work a little and here are my thoughts. I was able to test the iPad Pro, Surface Pro 2017 and Galaxy Book 12 display models at best buy back and forth for an hour.

TL:DR - My search is over and I'll be getting the Samsung Galaxy Book 12 8GB RAM 256GB model unless they release a 2018 model before I have a chance to purchase this model,

The keyboard feels better than the Surface pro by a landslide even when I had the SP keyboard flat. The keyboard case itself is a bit of a let down, but is easy enough to move and use with enough angles. The device itself is a nice form factor and aspect ratio and although not metal feels good in the hands. It's light enough to hold one handed, but that begs a chance of slipping and falling without a case. I sort of wish the screen was a little larger like on the iPad Pro, but would render the device a little too unwieldy. The model on display was the 4GB model and even on the demo floor 75% RAM was being eaten up without a browser running for 8GB is definitely the size I'd get. Oddly enough, when I was using the Samsung note taking app I noticed a lot less latency, almost lag, when writing, however in One Note and the stock painting app the latency was a little better than the Apple Pencil. Maybe a little less depending on battery setting being performance or battery life. Even on battery life mode the stylus in One Note and the painting app felt very smooth and responsive. I really liked how quiet the stylus was on the Galaxy Book too similar to a soft eraser on polished wood. No tooth so to speak of, but the surfaces just sort of complimented each other. My only gripe is no holder or magnetic attachment point on the device itself. What I'll probably end up doing is making one myself to place right above the volume and power button or closer to the fan, but not covering it with a thin piece of adhesive as to not interfere with the folio keyboard case. Otherwise it's a slick and nicely sized device.

DRTigerlilly and WillAdams like this.
  5. DRTigerlilly

here is one of the things I will NEVER understand about Best Buy...you have display units to entice the customer to make a purchase, and entirely too often for the Tablet PC's / 2-in-1's they either don't have a stylus present, or the stylus is defective....SERIOUSLY?? Like it would really kill them to replace a tip??? They should have receive replacements with the device to begin with and if not, they're like under $10 from Wacom....
    SMDH

6. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

I asked if they had a spare tip and the guy on the floor (really nice, but obvious he had no control of it) said they ordered one, but nothing was in yet. I asked if we could move the GB12 closer to the Notebook Pro and he said there isn't enough length on the pen. Oddly enough on the Notebook Pro 15" the pen wasn't attached to a wire and just in the device, but I supposed his Supervisor would have gone nuts if we tried it. The tip on the pen itself I thought was a joke pen. The tip was so broken I thought it was a rubber covering or wire insulation. Worse yet, on their surface Pro's they were using the older stylus that had the super long button on the side extending almost the entire length of the pen!

7. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Galaxybook 12

8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've actually asked many a store rep about this, and the real reason they invariably gave is—to prevent theft. :confused:

That's right, apparently the tethers they use are all easily circumvented and someone always steals the pen, or the nib, or whatever else is not bolted down. So the store just leaves the display tablets as is, incomplete or not working at all.

(And apparently the thievery is rampant too. At every location people will just walk in, blatantly rip out the tablet, trigger the alarms and walk out. And legally, they can't use force to stop him. What a world eh? :rolleyes:)

9. DRTigerlilly

Wow! Crazy!

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

10. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

So I returned to the same store today asking the rookie rep if we could use the smaller stylus from the Notebook Pro 15". He was pretty dumbfounded the 15" model's stylus was left in while the 13" was. He was okay with me using it and even walked away to help a customer never to return again. This BB was in an upscale area and pretty much empty. I was able to do a couple things this time.

1) I used the stylus from the other device with great success and was darn impressed by how fluid, smooth and responsive it was. I even got to test the tilt function in OneNote. It was a joy to use and the lack of nose was a nice touch compared to the SP and iPad.

2) It felt somewhat small, so I compared L & H of the screen compared to the iPad Pro 12.9" and the Galaxybook 12. Surprisingly the only major different was height when both devices were in landscape. By looking at them you'd think the iPad was significantly larger, but only by the vertical measurement being a little longer.

3) I compared the stand of the SP2017 to the GB12 including the keyboards and found the to like the GB12 a bit more. While the SP2017 hinge is fantastic and gives a lot of versatility it does add weight when held as a tablet. Second, it adds another area for error and while not a very realistic worry I like the idea of not having a possible failure point on the device. For my hands at least I found the GB12 the most comfortable, even when the SP keyboard was lying flat. I have medium hands and short fingers. Some reviewers have commended on the GB12 keyboard feeling "plasticy" but I found them to feel very nice similar to some logitech keyboards I've had. The most important part was how much the SP keyboard seemed to flex or move, even when lying flat. Also the keys were positioned a little too low for my liking and felt a bit off as my palms rested halfway on the counter and keyboard.

4) Heat. When the BB rep was gone I decided to run the GB12 as hot as I could with limited results. Maybe I am just more conditioned with heat than some people, but the GB12 never got so hot that I felt the need to put it down. Maybe I wasn't running it hard enough, but the heat was acceptable. Heck, in cold WA weather it actually felt pretty nice.

That's about it. Still on board with getting this device. The only thing I am a little off about it the lack of aftermarket cases and price. I'm trying to persuade my boss (family business) to let me use the company card for half the cost. Otherwise I wish the screen was a little bit taller similar to the iPad Pro 12.9" or closer to the 13" Notebook Pro, but you can't beat the 2k resolution for excel!

Bronsky, DRTigerlilly and WillAdams like this.