Accounting Major: Galaxy Book 12 or iPad Pro 12?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Theme57, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah the SP keyboard is chief among the three. I was thinking about getting an Incipio Faraday case and use my Microsoft Wedge keyboard, but am worried since one reviewer said the case created two dead spots on the screen although he didn't state where. The Wedge is comfortable enough for long typing sessions it is not as comfortable as something on the GB or SP size wise. I don't intend to type on my lap, never have since I'm tech savvy enough to know laptops usually breathe from underneath rather than on the size. Choices choices. Thank you for the information! Once I try out the GB12 this Tuesday I will update the thread on my impression. Info on the GB12 is fairly scared between SP and iPad Pro comparisons. Usually it's an artist or college student in a super hardware/software demanding major inquiring about the device which an iPad Pro of SP would fit the bill, but for something in the middle it gets a little harder.

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I have an iPad Pro 9.7 and despite the shortcomings mentioned in the thread it is my go to mobile device. Here is why.

Yes, file structure is confusing. However, OneDrive solves it for anything Office related. All Office applications has a Recent option in File Open so Excel files are instantly available no matter the device.

Construction. The iPad is metal, thin and light. Sadly better than anything offered in the PC domain at the moment.

Smart Keyboard. A clever ruse by Apple. Cover AND keyboard on one solution.

Screen. All screens has high resolution these days, but Apple's is the only one visible in strong sunlight. You want to do some number crunching outdoors on a fine day you'll need some good shade with a Windows device.

Cons.

Pencil. S-pen is far superior to Apple's Pencil. The cap only will make you jittery. It needs charging too, but Apple does have a smart solution in that you can charge it in the Lightning connector. Just be aware that it looks like a disaster waiting to happen when you do it.

Applications. Although wide support from third party developers it doesn't come close to what you can install on a Windows device. I'm guessing there are all kinds of macros and modules available for Excel that aren't available on iOS.

Pros.

Third party accessories. iPads sell like hotcakes so there is a huge selection of cases and all kinds of strange accessories that the Windows world can't get close to being so divided.

Upgrades. Apple upgrades are few and far between and they always work. Microsoft seems to be run like a kindergarten in that respect. Bricking devices, hard resets and roll backs is part of life as a Windows owner.

JoeS likes this.
  3. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for the comprehensive analysis. I saw your posts on the main discussion thread and was wondering if you'd comment on this thread. Honestly, the Apple Pencil and reliability of the device is top notch. The only caveat being MS Office lacking the features i need.

As far as Excel goes another accounting major who also doubled in finance said he had quite a few troubles with the mobile version of excel. How To Geek stated, "You cannot create pivot tables, apply conditional formatting, create external data connections or references, or access many of the advanced formulas," (https://www.howtogeek.com/334597/wh...icrosoft-offices-desktop-web-and-mobile-apps/). I've used Word on Android with no issue, but classes teach/require, including employers, full desktop Excel. Since Apple doesn't allow the scripts needed to use macros on Excel either it'd require me getting an additional device that'd be small enough to fit in my messenger back like the Lenovo Yoga Book or Acer Swift 1. This adds more weight, bulk and cables while reducing space for other items I might need else I get a backpack or larger messenger bag.

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

If you need full Excel desktop capabilities then you should probably go for a laptop, probably something with a built-in ten key pad. Mobile versions of Office are for file creation and editing. Full management of features will always require the full Windows version. I don't have an Office 365 subscription but my understanding is that those who do also get the full capability on their mobile devices, but you'd need someone in the know to confirm that.

Theme57 likes this.
  5. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

Probably, but I am pretty used to looking down at the keypad when typing in numbers and nothing a separate keypad wouldn't fix. The laptop would be closer to a 15" which is a little big for my needs atm. From what I remember Office 365 Online is what is for Android and IOS rather than the full version for desktop. More features definitely, but not enough for my needs.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just get the Galaxy Book.......having a Full operating system...and full open file system.... will benefit you greater in the long run and the S-pen is superior to the Apple Pencil.

The Ipad Pro is great as a secondary device.....but for a single device solution on the low end....the Galaxy Book is tops. The Galaxy Book also comes with the pen and keyboard....and the GB Keyboard is....way.....way better then that ****y Apple Keyboard.

I have both the Galaxy Book 10.6....and the 9.7 inch 1st gen Ipad Pro with Pencil....If I could only take one.....it would be the Galaxy Book.

Theme57 and DRTigerlilly like this.
  7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

The only thing I would probably recommend is getting it from the Microsoft store to get Complete

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

Bronsky and Theme57 like this.
  8. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

Good suggestion too. I was about to ask why not from Verizon, but for the same model minus LTE is sub 1000. With the 8GB, 256GB model at 1150 both after tax in my State. I suppose that begs the question whether or not I need LTE since it'd be an extra cost to the phone bill for hot spot on my phone. Complete only seems to be offered for the Surface Pro and not the Galaxy Book.

EDIT: Turns out I do have Mobile Hotspot on my phone I'd just need to up my data cap. Can't wait to try the GB12 in person this Tuesday!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  9. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

My bad, it's called Performance Guard for non Microsoft devices.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

When did that start? I had complete care from MS store on my Asus Viva Note 8.