Accounting Major: Galaxy Book 12 or iPad Pro 12?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Theme57, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    1200usd - Both devices come up to being the same since I have Verizon and the iPad would need a case, Pencil and purchasable apps. Possibly 1500usd, but I don't think I need the higher end models of either device.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Not for the Galaxy Book, but yes on the iPad Pro. I Prefer New though.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Windows preferred, but the iPad is inexpensive enough to where I could get a cheap sub 350 netbook or use school computers for desktop Excel.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Less than 13in

5. Which country do you intend to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Washington State, USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    I am not the biggest fan of Samsung, but that's more bias towards their inflated phone prices more than their tablets and computers. The main dislike is price and how long the device will last. Still feeling the burn from my Note 3 barely lasting 2 years.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    Up to 8 would be fantastic, but I am fine with 6 so long as the device charges quickly and I can up battery life with lower brightness and airplane mode. I only use wifi/LTE when I need to. However I'll carry a 21000mah battery bank as backup regardless.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    College, illustration, small business. I will mostly be working with excel spreadsheets, Quick Books and programs to learn Python on. However, I want a device with great illustration capabilities since I am learning digital drawing for a project I want to pursue down the road so this device will be double as a drawing tablet.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    I own a Windows 10 computer and a Motto Android device. Google services I use most frequently is Gmail, Sheets and Drive, but the latter two once every few days. I know how to use Mac and IOS, but do not own any Apple products.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Photoshop for light photo editing, Clip Studio Paint for illustration, Microsoft Office for college/work and Kindle for E-Books. Otherwise fairly light programs to learn Python and Skype.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Not at all. I have an older gaming rig at home. This device is solely for school, business and illustration.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    The most I'd do is connect it to my 27in FHD monitor if I needed a larger screen for illustration or photo editing. Otherwise not at all.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    Both devices are suitable.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above-linked FAQ for guidance
    Yes, but mostly in a vehicle or indoors. My state is mostly overcast or rain so sunlight isn't much of an issue.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above-linked FAQ for guidance
    Absolutely, yes as well as pressure sensitivity. I was originally leaning towards the iPad Pro w/ Apple Pencil due to how natural and good it felt to draw with. IAF on the device was amazing since I am light handed and used to drawing on slick surfaces (fountain user for 5 years now). However, I have yet to try the Galaxy Book, but from what I've seen on video and read the Wacom EMR seldom jitters or has parallax. I will be heading to a store with a display model soon to test it out. The Surface Pro 2017 pen was okay and I have read too many issues with jitter and connectivity problems. Good drawing tablets are 500 - 700 and I'm in the market for a laptop so a 2-in-1 unit with a good pen experience is very very important to me, but I don't have the budget to get a Mobile Studio Pro.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    Minimum 128GB on Windows 10 and 64GB on IOS. I am fine with non-expandable memory and although I'd like 8GB RAM, from what I'll be using it for 4GB should be enough. So long as I use Firefox I shouldn't run into any RAM problems and heavier Photoshop tasks my home computer will handle.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Both are fine since the iPad pro can transfer files to a wireless USB. However, I really really like the idea of USB Type-C and MicroSD card slot for extra storage. My phone uses Type C same with most fast chargers and battery banks. There is less of a hassle transferring data through type C compared to the iPad Pro.

Misc
    1. Other non-specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    Are there any good cases for the Galaxy Book? I've never had a laptop or tablet type device fall, but since this is such an expensive purchase I'm wondering if there are any cases.
    I think this relates to durability too. It will probably never happen since I take care of my laptop/tablet type devices very well.
    Also,can this be hooked up to a monitor and act as a secondary display? Sometimes I might need a larger display and was wondering if I could hook this up to a monitor.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    Reliability. Above all else I need this device to last me at least 5 years before I even consider replacing it. My last major purchase (desktop I am on right now) was purchased 6 years ago and is still going strong. The main reason I didn't go for a Surface Pro is due to reliability and pen issues.

JoeS likes this.
  2. ronr9286t

ronr9286t Scribbler - Standard Member

For ANY productivity use, the biggest deficit of the iPad is lack of a file structure. I suspect you'd find the iPad crippling, specially in situations where you're not connected to the web (for retrieval of cloud-saved files).

Ron

Theme57 likes this.
  3. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

I found a way around this with a Wireless USB stick, but Murphy's 4th law renders your statement completely correct.

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Great first post, welcome to the forum! Did you have a look at the GB thread? In the first few pics you'll see that the standard case offers pretty good protection, as well as a kickstand. I agree with the post above that the file system of W10 is way more convenient, although Apple did add the 'Files' app to iOS for file exchange between apps so it's better than it used to be. Both great devices.

Personally I prefer the feel of Wacom pens (both EMR and AES), the iPencil is a little too loud/rigid imo and has several other annoyances (slippery, heavy, cap gets lost, weird charging method, tips break relatively easily). Tough choice, iOS has more touch optimized apps and is great for reading, viewing, while Win10 has the better productivity software. I wouldn't be able to choose, which is why I have a Surface Pro 4 and a iPad Pro 12.9. :) For an accounting major though, my guess is that the GB12 is the better choice.

WillAdams and Theme57 like this.
  5. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for the wonderful reply, not that the first wasn't either. Funny you say that, compared to the N-Trig (surface Pro 2017) and Apple Pencil right after drawing on a Michaels 5usd black drawing book and Pentel Twist Erase 0.7 mechanical pencil I found the Apple Pencil to feel closer to a real drawing experience than the N-Trig on the Surface Pro. I do agree the Apple Pencil isn't the most reliable by any means and for a battery powered device with such a spotty charging method at 100usd I personally don't expect the performance to last well over even 3 years. At least with the GB12 you have the STAEDTLER Noris stylus around 30usd and no battery to worry about. Next week I'm heading to a local Best Buy that has the GB12 Demo model so I can try it out in person. I wish I had as much budget as you do, but won't see anything like that until post-grad. I technically have the ability to get both, but as an undergrad I need to allocate funds to school so I can avoid student loans. I talked with another accounting major from reddit and he said the experience on iPad was very very difficulty mainly due to limitations with file transfer during group projects and the lackluster Excel program compared to full desktop. If I wasn't in the market for a capable drawing tablet I would have gone with a decent Acer and if not an accounting major I would have just stuck to pen and paper along with my older tablet for E-Books. Heck, I typed a final timed essay on my older Note 3 using a Microsoft BT mini keyboard and MS Word for Android. Too bad the iPad Pro doesn't run MacOS or desktop applications because the canvas size on the iPad Pro along with the Apple Pencil is amazing to work with, especially with the battery life and streamline OS.

JoeS likes this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Exactly, seems like we all agree on that, that makes it an easy choice between the two. As an aside, good luck on your quest to remain loan-free, that's a tough challenge!

7. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, so far not many cases for the device either. I am fine with using a separate keyboard for a different case and the Incipio Faraday had one amazon review saying it messed with the EMR pen input on a few spots. It's also available on Verizon and would jump my bill about 30 - 45 (most likely 35) so upfront cost isn't as much of an issue. Would have really been nice if Samsung didn't go full S. Korean and make their keyboard/case combo so awkward with few aftermarket options. At least with the Surface Pro you can use cases and still have the keyboard attached. As a disclaimer that isn't me being racist. I've lived in S. Korea and it's fairly common for S. Korean manufacturers to skimp out on the peripherals lol. People in S. Korea don't mind keeping their devices naked and free of cases unlike the states where we like to preserve our product.

Loan wise I was lucky enough to invest a years money periodically and a large sum during a year break from school. The invest just came back and is enough to get me through college. Luckily my major requires me to work/intern while in school so I will continue to generate income over the years.

8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Galaxy Book.
    I have both and I find writing notes with the Staedtler more comfortable.
    Be aware if you try the Galaxy Book that the spen isn't as comfortable to use.

The only real advantage I can see in the iPad is the larger display and better battery life.
    Unlike many other tablet pc you can use an Anker Powercore+ power bank to charge the Galaxy Book while on the go though.

JoeS likes this.
  9. Theme57

Theme57 Pen Pal - Newbie

How is the included keyboard case with the Galaxy Book? Is it study enough to hold up? How well is the device protected when in its folded non use position.

10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Protection is good. Actually moving it around the house handling it folded the computer itself gives a lovely feeling with the rubberized surface of the case.
    While I would try to avoid it making sudden friends with the floor, I feel it's as protected as a tablet can be.

The keyboard has undoubtedly some flex if you use it on your lap, some don't like that but honestly I don't mind: it's a perfectly fine keyboard for me.
    Not as good as the Surface keyboard but not as bad as the one for the iPad Pro. :)