accelerometer in games...

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by u-rick, Nov 14, 2009.

1. u-rick

u-rick Pen Pal - Newbie

here is my solution to playing games using accelerometer. just install virtual joystick and run script that will read accel position and send it to emulated joystick.

1. download and install PPJoy (Parallel Port Joystick)
    http://cid-874c43d6031a3800.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/PPJoySetup.zip

2. run PPJoy config utility, add Virtual joystick

3. download AccToJoy.exe script an place into "Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Accelerometer Utilities\TAcelMgr\"
    http://cid-874c43d6031a3800.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/AccToJoy.exe

4. run TAcelMgr.exe

5. run AccToJoy.exe

2. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

Wow! Neat idea. How well does it work in practice?

Is it just as responsive as an iPhone or rather clunky?

3. u-rick

u-rick Pen Pal - Newbie

have tested script on m700, but must work with m400, m750. update rate and sensevity was impressive. one downside i found is that TAcelMgr drains some cpu (up to 20%).
    successfully played Trackmania and Neverball with accelerometer.

4. gokiburi

gokiburi Pen Pal - Newbie

How did you configured PpJoy, I cannot configure it.

Could you write a step-by-step tutorial? I should control a coursor by it?

5. u-rick

u-rick Pen Pal - Newbie

i almost forget installation process, but there are usefull manual in PPJoy folder (PPJoy\Docs\UserManual\AddingJoysticks.htm). after proper adding VirtualJoystick it will appear in Device Manager->HID devices. ask if something goes wrong
    run AccToJoy.exe to activate accelerometer driven joystick. now you can test it in any prog that uses joystick as input (most games). but here simple prog - JoyTester2, shows joystick coords (http://cid-874c43d6031a3800.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/JoyTester2.exe)
    if you still dont have reaction try to launch TAcelMgr.exe

6. TTTTTT

TTTTTT Pen Pal - Newbie

Installing PPJoy works properly (as indicated by running the PPJoy mouse or keyboard verson, the first one also works with the accelerometer if configured to do so by the accelerometer control panel - this isn´t a satisfying solution, though), but AccToJoy doesn´t seem to do anything regarding the accelerometer on my M200 here. Starting it standalone or via the accelerometer tool doesn´t make any difference.

Any hints?

BTW, how does AccToJoy actually work? I haven´t found any valuable information regarding the M200 accelerometer so far, just about the one which is contained in some IBM lappys.