..about the 64 bit Vista programs @ asus.com

Discussion in 'Asus' started by alphaswift, Jan 17, 2007.

1. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There seem to be two missing programs:
    1) Vista 64 bit Wireless Console
    2) Splendid video support

Some programs include both 32 and 64 bit versions in a single download. These two programs specifically indicate 32 bit....but will they work with the 64 bit version?

Thanks in advance

2. The Niles

The Niles Scribbler - Standard Member

They should but I have no way of confirming that (you do). Only programs that use certain legacy calls will not work on 64bit Vista.

3. mattj

mattj Scribbler - Standard Member

don't u have vista alphaswift?

i'd like to know what does n what doesn't work since i just ordered my free upgrade.

4. alphaswift

I do have Vista, but I'm running 32 bit. At some point, I want to upgrade, just to try it out.

32 bit is working perfectly on my system. I'm very happy with it. There are no outstanding issues.

5. mattj

mattj Scribbler - Standard Member

oh i c. it didn't even click that u might be using 32 n not 64 :p

6. alphaswift

32 bit was not my first choice, but when I installed Vista back in December there were a bunch of missing 64 bit programs and drivers. The situation has been getting better, but it appears to not quite be there yet. I suppose I'll have to wait until Vista is released in the retail channel.

7. gmaniax

gmaniax Pen Pal - Newbie

alpha,

i'm so tempted to upgrade my new R1F to vista ultimate (coming in 3 days to me).. is there anything that doesnt work well since u installed vista 32 bit?
    any buttons like the rotate button, any thing else that is annoying? Can you tell a difference in the handwriting recognition in Vista?

also, did all the drivers work as they should?

thanks...i know many of us are wanting to take the plunge.. but need some reasurrance that the process goes smoothly with a fresh install of vista

thanks

GM

8. alphaswift

Hi,

After installing the RTM Vista in early December, it's been an improving process as Asus updated drivers as time has gone by. Right now, Vista 32 bit is ready to go.

Everything is working as expected. There are no outstanding issues/limitations/problems running 32 bit Vista. That said, I don't run e-mail indicator ( I always have about 100 unread mail so it seems pointless ), the Asus updater ( Seems like a waste -- I can go check it out as often as I need to myself ) and the modem driver ( I am broadband only ). I also don't run the Asus audio driver -- I get that straight from Realtek.

Handwriting was one of the reasons I did the upgrade as early as I did. A couple of blogs around the web were saying that handwriting was substantially improved. For me, it is much better than XP. Some of the scribbles it has interpreted correctly has amazed me. The input panel in Vista is designed better as well. It's easier to use.

Features like the Vista mobility centre just make working with a laptop easier. The power management is WAY more flexible ( I also no longer use Powergear ) and works very well.

The ONLY thing about Vista that I don't like is the freaking firewall. The outbound settings are open by default, which annoys me to no end. I use the free version of Comodo on my XP system at home, I can only hope they release an update soon. I'm hearing they won't because of the Vista kernel security setup, but I have my fingers crossed ( by the way, I use Avast! -- the free version -- for anti-virus and it works great under Vista )

To answer your question: You can certainly install Vista, add the Asus drivers and have a ready-to-go system that has NO problems ( 32 bit flavor ). The 64 bit version still seems to be missing some key pieces ( the Asus wireless console being the most glaring piece missing ) but I expect Asus will have those drivers released shortly.

For those thinking about installing: Make your backups, do a scratch install and prepare for a few days of learning the Vista way of doing things. You'll be fine.

9. rwb

rwb Pen Pal - Newbie

I am very interested in the RF1, but would prefer Vista installed and would like firewire port and US model does not appear to match european models in processor speed. I will be traveling to HK soon and perhaps I will have more choice in what I but there

10. alphaswift

Hi rwb, welcome to the boards.

If you buy an R1F now, you'll get a coupon for a free upgrade to Vista.