about TC4400

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by narco, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. narco

narco Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,
    I'm thinking about getting the tc4400 with the t2500 cpu, but i have a few questions first:

the tc4400 comes with 512mb ram installed, i guess thats the internal moduel installed right?
    so can i just add a 1gb moduel or a 2gb module to have 1,5 or 2,5gb ram? if so what modules do i have to get? original hp to retain warranty or will any do?

the dealer told me that the tc4400 comes with 3 year warranty, so i dont need to get extra carepack like with all the other hp products?
    what do you guys recommend me about this?
    i got a hp proliant server and 3 xw4300 workstations and never had issues or needed customer support but i hears awful things regaring desktops and notebooks. do those things apply to the tablet section too and how is the material and fabrication quality?

i plan to use it mostly on the co drivers seat of my car to scribble stuff while driving and check emails and appointments from my exchange server.

any advice would be helpful
    thanks

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am fairly sure that the TC4400 comes with one 512MB SODIMM. There are two banks present total, so you will have one empty bank. You may install a maximum of 2GB total. It uses "PC25300 NONECC UNBUFFERED 200PIN DDR2 SODIMM" type RAM.

I would only get the extended coverage plan if you feel like you might accidentally damage your tablet during intended use. Good luck!

3. kahuna

kahuna Pen Pal - Newbie

The TC4400 that I got came with a single 512SODIMM loaded into the internal memory slot. That makes it really easy to add more memory. You can just add another SODIMM to the external slot.

You can actually install up to 4GB total of RAM, according to the spec sheet. I got a 1GB SODIMM from Crucial and it was really easy to load it into the external/expansion memory slot. The manual calls it the external or expansion memory slot (I think because it is very easy to access. Just a couple of screws and the cover comes off the space where you insert additional memory.) I only upgraded to 1.5G of RAM for two reasons: ease of install and cost. The external slot is really easy to get to. The internal slot is under the keyboard, and takes a lot more work to get to. I didn't see the difference between 1.5 and 2 GB as being worth the time and expense.

If/when the prices on 2GB memory come down to a reasonable range, then I'd definitely upgrade to 4GB of memory and replace both of the SODIMMs that I currently have(the 512 that came with the PC, and the 1GB that I just installed).

4. narco

narco Pen Pal - Newbie

thank you, i wasnt sure if it worked with 512mb in one bank and 1gb in the other...

5. Nabby

Nabby Pen Pal - Newbie

I have personally booted up my tc440 with a 512 MB in the internal memory slot, and a 1 GB in the external memory slot (all memory was purchased from HP). I had no issues with it. Quite frankly, I almost left it that way, because accessing the internal memory module to replace it with a 1 GB stick was the most frustrating PC experience I have ever had!
    Love the machine!

6. kersh

kersh Pen Pal - Newbie

the memory that comes with the tablet its 667mhz or 533?

If its 533, if i change the module by another of 667, i will gain speed?

7. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

The HP TC4400 can run in either 533 or 667 MHz, but the default memory stick is a PC2-5300, so it clocks in at 667 MHz.

And no, for the TC4200 for example, it runs memory at only 533 MHz. If you were to put in a 667 MHz memory stick there, it would only run at 533 MHz and not 667 MHz.

8. ichthyic

ichthyic Pen Pal - Newbie

You may also want to consider that the tc4400 can use dual-channel memory with modules of the same size. I installed another 512MB DD2-667 module on my RA301AT, and I recall I was able to check somewhere in the control panel that confirmed it is running in dual-channel mode, but right now I can't seem to find that information on my system.

I am no expert, however, so maybe someone else can comment on this?

- ichthyic

9. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

You can download CPU-Z, extract/run it and click the memory tab to see whether it is running in dual channel mode, next to the Channels # field, it should state whether or not it is in that mode.

In Dual Channel Mode:
    Channels # [ Dual ]

Not in Dual Channel Mode:
    Channels # [ ]

10. crowbar

crowbar Pen Pal - Newbie

this part caught my eye... and i must say that i strongly advice against driving while under the influence of a tablet pc. =P
    safety first! =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.