About hovering detection distance of the Spen

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by Tonitti, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

Hello. I just got the Tab S3 and I also have the Galaxy Note 4. I just thought about why I get so many involuntary presses with my palm using painting programs using either of these two devices, making unwanted little zooms or pans on the canvas. I thought that maybe the cause was the distance of detection of the tip of the spen in respect of the screen, the electromagnetic resonance of Wacom tech.

I remembered that distance on my old Wacom tablets, like on my Cintiq 12wx, to be much greater than on the android devices, so I made the check. In the Tab S3 and the Note4 the distance is about 1cm, but in the Cintiq seems to be about double that distance. The 12WX doesn't have touch sensitivity anyhow but I guess my accidental touches on the Tab S3 could be very much eliminated if the hovering detection distance was the same as in the 12WX.

Does anyone know if it's possible to increase that distance somehow? My guess is that it's not possible but if it is, I'll be very happy and grateful.

Thanks!

thatcomicsguy and WillAdams like this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've also noticed that the S3 is utter crap for drawing. I assumed it was simply that I wasn't using the right settings or the best app or whatever. But I'm beginning to suspect that it's simply a piece of stupid excrement and that all the users who love it are coming at the phone app universe with wildly low and forgiving expectations.

So far, I'm sorely under-impressed with all things Android and tablet related. And the Galaxy Tab series is supposed to be among the best of the best! What a joke!

Android, I am coming to realize, isn't an OS. It's a disease state. It's like having brain damage on a real computer. The only good thing about my Samsung is that the sound is nothing short of astonishing, (how can such volume and fidelity emit from a sheet of glass? It's magic!) and that the power-sipping efficiency of the video player function exists in the realm of science fiction. Otherwise, I pretty much hate mine and if I don't start finding a real use for it, I'm getting rid of it.

It makes me angry to use. Simply trying to copy files from one location to another is a major chore which suffers from crashes and imbecilic permission hurdles. Plus the Instagram app, the only reason I bought this POS, is a buggy, restrictive spawn of the devil which I think generates mental retardation in its user base.

So.., yeah.

Ask me what I REALLY think.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    WillAdams likes this.
  3. Tonitti

Sorry to hear that. I switched to it after years of using my trusty Vivotab tf810c mostly because of the multitouch experience. Despite feeeling very confortable using a modded version of the autohotkey toolbar you made years ago for Sai and Photoshop, I felt that windows painting programs, and Windows in general lack in multitouch performance, that is, zooming and panning with two fingers. When I draw on paper I'm constantly rotating the sheet for better penciling so I feel much more comfortable the way Android (or ios) handles that. I use mostly Artflow and Infinite Painter there, and although Photoshop is miles ahead in features, I feel that most of the time with the features these programs have It's more than enough for me. I go to Photoshop on Windows right at the end for some minor adjustments. There are many things Android is lacking yes, but I try not to expend many time on it and just concentrate on the programs and live with it. By the way have you tried Mixplorer? It's a really nice file manager that also supports ftp, samba, multiple copy/move tasks etc. Any windows explorer is more complete but for the things I need It's more than enough for me, and very fast. I also like that the tablet barely discharges overnight if I put it to sleep, so for me is just a coloring book that is always ready for me to continue my projects anytime.

I just wished it had even more battery but at least it is very light. I wanted to get the S4 but I bought the S3 last month instead because I very much prefer the 4:3 aspect ratio when I'm drawing over my lap.

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you can make Android work, more power to you! I have respect for those who are resourceful enough and determined enough to bend a tool into effective service despite its limitations. And Android has its plus points; battery life and advanced finger-touch integration being two of them.

-Especially when compared to the terrible touch interface in Photoshop.

But some Windows programs have caught up nicely.., Clip Studio Paint has refined touch to the point where I don't like to work without it today. It's an excellent, intuitive implementation which stands out in the Windows 10 landscape; well worth a try if you haven't done so already. These days I do everything in CSP except post processing and heavy selection tasks. Photoshop still has its uses.

Android, for me, is still in the undecided/penalty box.

Tonitti likes this.
  5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Hey, please don't dis my GT S3! I'm trying to sell it!!! I don't draw, but I have to say that the S Pen/EMR is nicer for note taking than any other of several devices I own. The AMOLED screen is certainly stunning and the audio is pretty good too. If anything I do find that I have become so accustomed to Android on Google devices (Pixel 2 and Pixelbook) that I do find the Samsung Android to be less user-friendly overall. The only reason I'm selling mine is that I was just presented with an iPad 2018 (not Pro) by a client and, of the two, I think the iPad will add more versatility to my "inventory" of devices - all Windows, Android and Chromebook otherwise. (Mint condition, original box and packing, warranty til November 2019, $299 (steal, yes?)

6. Tonitti

Certainly, if the battery is in good condition that is a very good price. It's the problem with these devices without interchangeable battery, it dictates it's life (more or less).

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks. And the great news is... I sold it in the first hour on Swappa! (Darn, I knew I should've asked more!:D

Tonitti likes this.