A way to reorder items in the Home menu?

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by sarah11918, Aug 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarah11918

sarah11918 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just wondering if there's a way to do this, so that applications I use more frequently can all be on page 1.

2. thescreensavers

thescreensavers Pen Pal - Newbie

I been wondering this my self,

have you seen http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asus-eee-line/41460-hyper-note-eee-note-package-manager.html

It has a "Menu Manager"

I was about to install this last night but I am unsure if the "Menu Manager" is what you and I are looking for, there is not a lot of info in the thread. Their is plenty of dev talk but, there is very little "how to use" info and having to install and guess irks me a bit since I do not fully understand how to uninstall things..ect

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Ramses800

Ramses800 Template Trickster

Yes, it is possible.
    There is a file called Config.xml in the folder /eTablet/etc/launcher on the EA800.
    This file contains the menu items and which order they are presented.
    Download the file to a computer and open it in a text editor program(Notepad or similar)
    In the AppList Section of this file, simply rearrange the items in the order you want them, then save and upload the file back on its original place. Always keep a backup copy of the original file if anything goes wrong!

In order to get this file in the first place, you need some way to access the internal storage card. I personally use the Dropbear/WinSCP way but it is also possible to use the CuteExplorer application(from the FullInstall package)to copy/move files to/from the external SD card and edit them elsewhere.

4. thescreensavers

thescreensavers Pen Pal - Newbie

^woot thanks!

I used CuteExplorer

Went to /eTablet/etc/launcher

Then I copied the config.xml to my SDcard(click up in CuteExplorer until you cannot go any more and the sd card is in mnt).
    I then Put my EA800 in card reader mode and copied the "config.xml" to my computer, and renamed the original on the sdcard as "configbak.xml"

I tried to use Notepad but It was very annoying to use, so I fired up Microsoft Visual Studio which was much easier to edit the file in. (Click the links for why)

I then put the Edited "Config.xml" back onto the SDcard, unpluged my EA800, fired up CuteExplorer and went into the SDcard and Copied the edited "Config.xml" and navigated back to /eTablet/etc/launcher

I then renamed the current "Config.xml" to "Config.bak" and then Pasted my Edited "Config.xml" into the launcher folder.

I pushed the Reset button to reboot, and

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did some name changing as well to make it flow and look better.

Here is my Edited Config.xml file, what you see above is what you should get (LINK) Right-Click > Save As

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi all,

The HyperNote package manager will allow you to reorder your menu items.

I would convert the FullInstall over to HyperNote, but I haven't yet taken the time to learn the packaging system. If I do go learning a package system, I may just end up looking at mp035's package manager and trying to set up a web-based repository that can install directly from the EeeNote's UI.

In the mean time, I'm also looking at porting a built-in text editor, and making the file explorer launch appropriate apps when double-clicked.

pb

6. sarah11918

sarah11918 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks all. I'll have to try that.

7. Ramses800

Ramses800 Template Trickster

This would be awesome - thanks for all your efforts!

8. sixthspeed

sixthspeed Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for this! I successfully rearranged my menu by changing my config.xml

However, in the spot where the stock Web Browser used to be, the subtitle still says "Experimental" (See attached). Also, the stock web browser now has no subtitle. Anyone know what happened and how I can get rid of the subtitle?

launcher20120429023812.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.