A User's Experience with the TC4200

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by nutshell, Jun 10, 2005.

1. nutshell

nutshell Pen Pal - Newbie

I took possession of my very own tc4200 about two weeks ago, and apart from a couple of minor grumbles, I could not be happier.

The build is hp fine...except for the side mounted sliding power switch, which initially insisted it was not really a part of the machine, and proved it by repeatedly coming adrift within the first few days of ownership. That was, until a kindly service person got out the blow-torch and performed a "number 8 fencing wire" fix on the small lugs that hold the switch into position. Now it is a perfectly behaved switch.

I opted for the add-on U-shaped extension battery, which ups the useful operating time off the socket to around eight hours!

Sure, the add-on adds weight, snapping onto the bottom of the unit and neatly raising the rear of the keyboard when the machine is used as a notebook. However, the increased luggability and the fact that is it not so easy to use the machine in portrait mode in the crook of your arm with the battery snugged on is more than compensated by the longevity. But if you can stand the added weight, the battery is neatly sculpted to provide just the right place to brace your thumb underneath the unit.

I've always pounded away on the keys, and having a pen in hand is suddenly like being given the keys to the kingdom - a joy indeed. There's some neat add-ons to the OS (those "unofficial" Microsoft sponsored, if not supported, apps) which enhance the machine no end - the ability to create your own personal font in your own handwriting is way cool, and the two added functionality enhancements that let you create web page and Outlook 2003 copies in OneNote are fine tools. They make everyday researching and documenting way less of a chore.

The handwriting recognition software really works and I am looking forward with anticipation to getting to grips with the voice recognition - just as soon as I can locate a professional quality Bluetooth remote microphone and a decent stereo Bluetooth headset (hint, hint :))

Suffice to say, two weeks with the Tablet have sold me on the technology.
    IMHO the Tablet strongly spells the beginning of the end for the notebook.

For starters the touch screen means you can finally throw your mouse, your touch pad and those funny little joysticks into the trash can!!

If there's a downer to this ecstatic rave about this 21st Century artiste's pallette, it's that I have had to tether my sylus to the machine. Lose the stylus to well meaning and enthusiastic friends and associates...and all of a sudden I know that this gilded coach will become a pumpkin and those two white stallions will start squeaking as they turn back into mice. The relationship really is that interdependant. Maybe that's why hp opted to leave in all the traditional notebook pointing devices. Smart move.

My TC4200 has 1Gb of RAM. That seemed like enough to do all that I needed, I thought when I initially spec'd the machine. However, after getting it loaded with multiple apps several times recently, I strongly suspect I'll be reaching for the checkbook and maxing out the RAM sometime in the not too distant future.

But overall - the more I do with this machine...the more opportunities I see and the more fun that I have.
    It really is that good. No bull.

BTW: my little company designs and makes cases for mobile technology.
    Watch this space for our neat leather carry-case for the tc4500.
    Just as soon as I take the photos and create and post the web page.
    On my Tablet - of course. :)

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Great overview. It's intersting to see someone convert like this.

3. nutshell

nutshell Pen Pal - Newbie

As promised, we now have a very sturdy and elegant travel case for the tc4200...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015