A testimony to the T4220's ruggedness

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by kureshii, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legato86

Legato86 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I've been away from the board for a little while but I guess I'll be in and out for the next few weeks considering finals are coming up and all but back onto the topic of this thread.

Last Friday I was unlucky to be in a motorbiking accident. I am fine aside from some bruises and pain but no broken bones and all. I was going to campus on my way to study for my upcoming midterm and so I had my T4220 with me in my messenger bag. Amazingly, my tablet came out unphased. I tested it almost right after the accident (while getting witnesses to jot down their info) and it booted up like normal. My textbook received a good chunk of the impact but the tablet had to have incurred some shock from the impact of me and my laptop bag hitting the ground after my bike flew underneath from my legs. Who says you need a lenovo for some ruggedness! When P8rson says that his 4210s have lasted him even in the back of his trucks and what not, believe him (not that you didn't believe him before)! Fujitsu is really something in constructing such a solid machine. Three months after the purchase of this machine and it still amazes me.

2. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's pretty much what happened to me and my T4210 11 months ago... unluckily for me, I'm using a 3-pin AC adapter, and when I kept my AC adapter in my Crumpler messenger bag the pins were facing inwards, right at the screen chassis T_T Aside from the cracked LCD, no other damage - you can hardly see the dent on the chassis..

The Crumpler has been ditched for a Kensington Cargo Messenger, and I've definitely learned my lesson about AC adapter storage placement.

The T4210's been with me about 14 months, and I can't say I've been very kind with it physically, but it has held up well and works like it did when I first bought it.

3. ahamilton55

ahamilton55 Scribbler - Standard Member

Year the T chassis is great. I fixed a T4020 once that was completely run over by the guy. The LCD, plastic piece in front of the LCD was cracked, and a corner below the keyboard was cracked but it still booted up and worked fine for the guy after that.

4. herecomesthcold

herecomesthcold Pen Pal - Newbie

I was in the elevator when mine fell. It fell all the way from my chest to the hard floor. It landed on the front left corner where the speaker is and it blew a small chunk out of the upper and lower corner of the case. Oh boy was I disappointed.

In any case, I thought my laptop would be totalled but it only interred a physical flaw. Surprisingly, The system worked just like normal (even the left speaker worked well too). Unfortunately, Fujitsu does not offer an accidental damage plan. So it cost me a flat $230 to fix it. They had to replace the whole upper and lower casing. Fujitsu was kind enough to send me my old case back because they said the new one wouldn't come with the emblems, stickers, and logos like the previous one. I managed to stick the stickers back onto my replacement.

All in all, just be careful and treat your laptop like a little baby. Although Fujitsu promised it be back within 3 business days, they took a bit longer and I had to file a complaint for them to speed it up to send it overnight the next day.

My suggestion is to not take any risks when carrying your t4220 (or anything valuable). If it is possible that it is going to fall/break, then lady luck will have its way. Although my T4220 did crack, that doesn't mean the quality and build is bad. It just meant that it took a hard hit with little damage. Most laptops would have shattered into pieces or the internal might have been wasted. :eek:

5. kureshii

More than 3 business days? You're lucky... Fujitsu spent a month on mine (LCD, glass panel, screen clip) =P Well, they're forgiven because when I emailed them about this the service centre called me the next day to tell me it was ready for collection.

6. Chocobo

Chocobo Scribbler - Standard Member

Unfortunately, even Fujitsu's glorious craftsmanship is not immune to the plague of Vista. My tablet still resists working properly even though I treated it like a fragile vase.

7. Legato86

Legato86 Pen Pal - Newbie

Update from the accident aftermath:

I found a crack in the left side vent and a dent in the plastic along where the latch to shut the tablet is. Makes me wonder if anything internal is damaged in any way. I wish my insurance company could just outright replace it but that's probably VERY wishful thinking =P

8. kureshii

Well, there's a crack on my T4210, in the anorexic plastic bridge between the primary battery compartment and the modular bay; admittedly some poor design on Fujitsu's part but it doesn't seem to affect functionality in any way.

If your tablet is still under warranty, no worries I guess... just send it in when it starts to act up. I'd be more worried about possible hard drive damage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.