A Tablet and OneNote - it doesn't get any better!

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by MRL, Aug 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MRL

MRL Forum Moderator

I guess I owe my son a world of thanks for giving me his Toshiba 3500 Tablet (with a partially dead digitizer - replaced under warranty) that allowed me to "play" with writing on a computer. As someone who goes way back (way way back) with computers - in college, my computer was 2 pieces of wood sliding back and forth (a slide rule) - I always thought of the "Tablet" as somewhat of a curiosity but not really practical. Now I think that this "Tablet" thing might just catch on. I purchased OneNote from Amazon.com (net $29 after rebate) and I have to tell you - I am carrying around my new C314 everywhere and using OneNote to store everything - mostly in my own handwriting - and I'm not really being careful as to how I write. It has practically replaced my Dell desktop - my Dell will be reduced to a file server and backup storage. I've tried various information organizer software but OneNote really works. I love being able to link to files from OneNote thus allowing OneNote to be my primary interface. No more bits of scrap notes all over the place. With the tablet being so handy, anything worth noting goes into OneNote.
    Tablet/OneNote, where have you been all my life? This has been a life altering experience. There is no going back. Anything else now seems like the "dark ages"! And I have not even tried the voice recording!
    I can hear my grandkids - "Grandpa, what's a keyboard?"

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

MRL,

Thanks for sharing your whole Tablet/OneNote experience with us. It's always great to hear enthusiasm from someone who finds the usefullness and joys of Tablet PC computing.

3. davidJlin

davidJlin Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi MRL,

Thanks for your enthusiasm regarding the Acer C314. I just ordered one myself from Page.com. I was wondering if you could offer some advice regarding One Note. I know that Windows Journal comes bundled with the tablet. In your opinion, is One Note worth the extra money?

Thanks much!

David

4. MRL

MRL Forum Moderator

I purchased OneNote from Amazon.com for $79.99 delivered. Until 10/1/05 Microsoft has a $50 rebate, thus net is $29.99!
    I have used practically every note/organizer software out there - most recently InfoSelect. As a college professor and custom business software developer (my own business), I have tons of "stuff" to organize and search. I have been doing this for a very long time starting with my first IBM PC in August 1981!
    In my opinion, OneNote is the top of the evolution chain! I have thrown everything into it - including all my InfoSelect notes. To be able to simply hand-write a note is awesome. If you get a tablet, for a net of $29.99, you need OneNote. It has quickly become second nature. In fact, I am going to upgrade my office software (I now have Office 2002 and Outlook 2002 does not link with OneNote) so that I can effectively use OneNote across all applications.
    It is that good - my opinion of course! I believe that OneNote alone could invigorate tablet PC sales. Put OneNote with the C314 and you have an awesome combination.

5. davidJlin

MRL,

Thanks for the advice! I'm off to order it now!

David

6. davidJlin

Woo hoo ... I just got MS OneNote 2003 effectively for free. Amazon offers a credit card through Chase Visa, and when I signed up, I was given an instant $30 discount. My total came out to be $49.99, which means that after the $50 rebate, I actually get PAID 1 cent to "buy" the program. Ah ... how sweet! :) Thanks again, MRL for the tip!

7. MRL

MRL Forum Moderator

You will not be disappointed with OneNote. Go to the Microsoft OneNote home page and you will find templates to download as well as tips and suggestions. It will only get better. I would like to suggest that a forum be created devoted exclusively to OneNote.

8. MRL

MRL Forum Moderator

Not quite! You'll have to spent 37 cents to mail in the $50 rebate. But still, 36 cents for OneNote - not a bad deal!

9. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

LOL - MRL, Good call on the math.

10. jerryrock

jerryrock Pen Pal - Newbie

If they are offering a $50. rebate does that mean a new version is coming out or are they going to incorporate it into a new version of XP Tablet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.