A surface "clone" but cheaper?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by byviolet, Jan 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. byviolet

byviolet Pen Pal - Newbie

I like the surface 4 but the price point is a little too high for me. I don't mind getting it if there's nothing else I like but I would prefer to keep costs low. Basically here's what I want in a tablet:

11 or higher inch screen (13+ preferable)
    able to run league of legends (low is fine)
    has a stylus to take notes with

That's about it -- I don't really care about anything else like weight/size/battery life. I would prefer to keep costs below $600 (Im in canada so $600 USD will be like $850 right now).

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The only new 12" surface clone in that price range is the Toshiba Dynapad, at $650

They start shipping on January 22nd, apparently, and there's no mention of it on the Canadian website. Getting it across the border may be challenging.

http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/dynapad/WT10E/WT12PE-A64K

Also.., it runs an Atom processor and only 64Gb of e-MMC internal storage, so it's scraping by on the bare minimum in terms of modern power expectations, so it might not suit your needs. I don't know much about gaming requirements, but it would probably run Photoshop reasonably well for basic drawing and mid-range tasks.

Though, it sounds to me like you might just have to bite the bullet and get something more expensive.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. byviolet

byviolet Pen Pal - Newbie

It seems like there's just no good options at that price range right now huh. I'm willing to go up to $1000 usd if that'll help. also are there ANY 15 inch tablets with a pen?

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Nearly every major laptop manufacturer has a 12" Surface clone coming out, or already out. They're all over the price and power spectrum. I'd explore the dedicated brand forum threads here to work out what might suit you best.

And no, nobody has made a 15" tablet/TPC with active-stylus worth a damn. If they had done, I'd probably be typing on it right now. I think there might be one out there running Synaptics' pen system which might be good enough for simple note-taking, but if you want to draw, then it's tumbleweeds I'm afraid.

WillAdams likes this.
  5. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@byviolet there's a 10.6" Cube I7 Stylus with Wacom... Not sure it it'll do for you, though.

6. Konig-Wolf

Konig-Wolf Pen Pal - Newbie

You may want to consider the HP Spectre x2. I have one, and it meets all of your goals and it below the $1000 mark. If you call up HP, you can usually bargin a bit on the price.

7. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@byviolet on second thought you can get a used Surface 3 within the original budget.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.