A student's review of the Cx210x

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Jimbo, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herb2k

herb2k Pen Pal - Newbie

Thought I'd add some research about the Finepoint pen thing.

There is a battery inside (There were pictures where someone opened their pen posted up on the buzz, which is currently down).

The new Finepoint hardware (check their website) runs passively, which means the panel can provide the pen's power, and no internal battery. I do believe however that Gateway is continuing to use the powered version.

The battery is *supposed* to last 5 years, there have been many cases of bad/malfunctioning pens. Gateway is nice enough to send replacements if you call them and ask.

Pressure sensitivity was added for Photoshop through a "shim" off Finepoint's website.

I've found that the tilt gets more ergonomic if you set the handedness setting properly (left or right), but I generally have to recalibrate anytime I change orientation, can be annoying, but not a big deal. I've used wacom pens before, but never ones where wacom was embedded into a tablet, so I can't say if the Finepoint is much worse or not. It does seem to track slowly though.

Overall though, great review, it's a good tablet/notebook and tries to do a lot of things. There are some improvements that can be done (such as touchpad overheating on older CX200x's, which they have added a fan to the new units), but those are bound to happen with any new tech.

2. HipboyScott

HipboyScott Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm seriously considering this tablet, but the use of finepoint somewhat worries me. As an artist, I want at least average performance from the pen.

I used an older gateway in Best Buy a few months back and was not horribly impressed with the pen. I had to bear down with much force for it to make brush strokes, the sensitivity felt absent, and there was a bit of lag.

I'm wondering if it has improved since....if that performance was the result of poor calibration/display wear, or what.

3. revaaron

revaaron Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm a concert photographer and software engineer.

my 700m's LCD inverter blew. I've ordered a new part, but this lappy (1.6GHz centrino M, 1.5GB RAM, 80gb 5400rpm IDE) is getting kind of slow.

I added it all up and the toshiba M7 or the gateway 210x are the ones I'm looking at. the gateway is $1605 minus coupons and the toshiba is $2500 with no coupons.

same specs:
    T720 core 2 duo 2GHz
    100 SATA 7200rpm
    2GB 667MB RAM
    1440x900 res

I would need to get atleast a 25% off coupon from the toshiba to allow me to get it. $2500 is about $600 more than I can spend

4. Qasim

Qasim Pen Pal - Newbie

About the graphic card - I thought Vista required a graphic card with atleast 128 MB of vram, in order to run Aero properly.

I was going through this older post about M-285, and someone had mentioned that the graphic card(the ATi raedon x1400, the same one available as an option on cx210) could have up to 256 mb of memory using 'hyper-memory' technology. Anyone know what that's about? Is it possible to manually configure how much computer ram is available to the graphic card(eg. from the bios menu or the catalyst controller), or is it automatically configured?

Here's a link to the post I was talking about:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=1938&page=6#53

Thanks!

5. nightalon

nightalon Pen Pal - Newbie

Check out the CX240X: it's a refresh of the CX210X and it has Wacom, Santa Rosa, and the next generation of ATI's discrete graphics. (Just like the previous generation, though, it's one of the lower-tier chips) In my mind, aside from resolution, all the unit's problems have been solved.

As for Vista on the CX210X, it runs very well if you have sufficient RAM. Keep in mind (you have probably figured this out by now) that Intel's GMA 950 can run Vista's Aero Glass. Anything discrete that came out in the last two years (as far as I know) can run Aero Glass. I can attest to the fact that Aero Glass performance on the 64 MB (256 MB with virtual HyperMemory sequestered from RAM) is better than on a GMA 950.

6. apinkpony

apinkpony Scribbler - Standard Member

The new model is actually the C-140X just so no one gets confused.

7. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

i was about to say

8. brianoflee

brianoflee Perpetual Student

Great review, thanks! I was looking for a student's perspective, and really appreciated all the information you provided in your review. Can't wait until mine gets here :rolleyes:

9. Jimbo

Jimbo Pen Pal - Newbie

Same with me! I am getting an M285E for class!