A special way to update your eeenote~

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by andy840119, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Micha

Micha Pen Pal - Newbie

Just followed what Mihaisrb said, and it worked great (you have to change the name of your SDCard though. This can be done by:
    - Backing up your SDcard
    - Use the console and umount the card (see `mount` to get the device name), and use mkfs.msdos -n NAME /device.)
    - Put your files back to the SDcard).

Warning: updating your kernel WILL delete all your files. Don't waste a year's worth of work by discarding this warning (as I did, say).

2. Jamie-B

Jamie-B Scribbler - Standard Member

3. Jamie-B

My Eee Note is stuck at the bootloader. I do not receive the update screen when I try this update method. I have followed all the steps you have given, but after this step..:

"Press Reset, Press power button, Relese reset, Relese power button"

... I am only presented with the bootloader screen as usual :/ there is no new prompt, and there is no option to press any buttons.

Edit: sorry for double-post. And look three posts below; this method does work :D

4. Micha

Micha Pen Pal - Newbie

Jamie-B: Are you sure you gave your SDcard the right name? I had to format my SDcard in order for the name to be properly registered.

5. Jamie-B

6. Jamie-B

Update: I have succeeded in repairing an Eee Note that was stuck at Bootloader using this method!!

I have rewritten the steps to include the links and the need to format the card.

Steps:
    1- Back-up all the data from your Eee Note (updating the firmware deletes all your data). If your Eee Note is stuck at bootloader, then you'll need to remove the internal memory card if you want to back it up :(
    2a- Format an external MicroSD card to 4GB Fat32 (I just right-clicked on the memory card in Windows to do this). In the format dialogue, specify that you want its name to be: ASUSENUPROM
    2b- Note: simply renaming the card in Windows explorer does not work for this process; the Eee Note doesn't recognise the card. You MUST rename it through the format process.
    3- Download all three of the following links, which are .zip files. Unzip them and move the following files onto the root directory of your external MicroSD card: boot.bin, Boot.rom and etablet.rom (this etablet.rom is the V1.0.16.139RU firmware, and these boot files were released by Asus in the same .zip that provided the older V1.0.5.81 etablet.rom). Not all of mine displayed the file extensions, so I renamed them accordingly, just in case.
    4a- The reset button is the rubber one. The power button is the plastic one.
    4b- Push the reset button in. While holding this button in, push the power button in along with it. Now release the reset button on its own, then finally release the power button as well.
    5a- An update screen will appear, written in English, with the following options:
    5b- "Choose update method: [left arrow] SD card, [right arrow] PC Tools"
    5c- Press the left arrow. "Choose which you want to update: the kernel (etablet.rom) or the bootloader (boot.rom)"
    5d- I chose to update my kernel, which I believe might have updated my bootloader as well, because I actually bricked the Eee Note in the first place by messing with its bootloader...
    5e- You will have to wait for 5 minutes. Press any key to restart it. From here, you will have to wait another 3 minutes for it to format something, I think. I can't remember. Anyway, once everything's finished, I had kernel version 1.0.16.139RU and bootloader version 1.0.4.
    5f- It's now in Chinese. I changed the language back to English by navigating the options on the second page of the Eee Note's settings. I then clicked a radio button to switch it to English.
    6- I restored my original data from a previous backup using Eee Note Sync :)
    7- I have lost all of my installed programs. I guess they were installed to the internal SD card, but not in a folder that Asus Sync chooses to save.

Thanks so much, Andy and mihaisrb!! Now I can use my Eee Note in my lectures tomorrow <3

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. mihaisrb

mihaisrb Pen Pal - Newbie

8. Jamie-B

These new kernels give Notes the ability to export a page as a .gif to the external MicroSD card. No need to snapshot and crop now. At least, I think there was no export before. No other new features in Notes or Reader, though.

9. eddy

eddy Pen Pal - Newbie

Couldn't you export them as gifs using sync tool?

10. etienne

etienne Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh, they aren't so new. I was thinking you found an other on! :D

We should make a tread about new firmwares, because I'm tired to go by myself see (idx file) alone ;)