A solution for the problem of pen and touch stop woking

Discussion in 'Asus' started by HenryK, May 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HenryK

HenryK Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought my M80TA two months ago for taking notes by OneNote and drawing pictures by SketchBook. I loved it. However about a month later the widely reported stylus and touch stop working problem occurred and it was really annoyed.

I googled and found most people 'fix' this problem by force-shutdown the tablet. I did so and I also tried disable/enable or uninstall/rescan in Device Manager, install/uninstall Wacom FIT driver and also recover Windows once. Sometimes the pen came back and sometimes it didn't.

Then I found a more reliable solution than force-shutdown: enter the bios and change some settings and save-exit. (Maybe which setting to be changed is not important. My pen failed twice and I changed different settings, my pen still recovered after exit.) Now my pen keeps working fine for more than two weeks! Keep going! XD

How to enter bios, see here: Michael's Digital Life: How to enter ASUS VivoTab Note 8 BIOS Settting

The Touch of my tablet also had problem and it occurred more and more frequently. It stopped working every time I locked the screen longer than one minute. I noticed the problem due to the 'Connected Standby' power mode. I tried disable 'Connected Standby' by modifying the register and the touch never lost. But it needed at least one minute to unlock the screen without Connected Standby. = =!!

So I wrote a simple script, using 'devcon' to disable/enable the touch driver automatically. I added it as a schedule task every time unlock the screen. This is a temporary solution and I still hope MS and ASUS can update their drivers to give us a final solution. But so far, my vivo note 8 works fine!

Here is my script:

devcon disable @"ACPI\ATML1000\*"
    devcon enable @"ACPI\ATML1000\*"

You can find the event of exiting connected standby by Event Viewer. Look for the Kernel-Power(507) event in Windows Logs-System category.

Hope this info helpful.

Bronsky, Kumabjorn and mitchellvii like this.
  2. mitchellvii

mitchellvii Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for this.

Could you please explain in detail exactly how to implement this script for those who are not expert in such things? Thank you!

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Very interesting approach. Although I think that some of the failures are purely hardware issues, I have no doubt that some of the issues are software related. I've not yet experienced a touch nor pen failure so I'm a bad testing platform. I do, however, have what appears to be a failing display and have previously dealt with an overheating CPU in connected standby mode by returning my first unit. We appreciate your efforts. It would be great if your work-around works, as this is a great little tablet, once you get past the build quality issues and the lengthy Asus service interval.

4. squib

squib Pen Pal - Newbie

Sounds like a total coincidence, to be honest. I disabled sleep and set up a blank screen saver, and I still had 3 pen failures.

5. mitchellvii

mitchellvii Scribbler - Standard Member

You know, it seems with every new piece of hardware that comes out, they drive down the field brilliantly only to fumble on the 1 yard line. So much of the ASUS tablet is I.D.E.A.L. for my needs, and yet, they inexplicably blow the key part, the stylus. To add insult to injury, they seem to be in no hurry to fix it. I have found this in general with Asian hardware manufacturers. GREAT hardware, SH*T software. Some of the utilities ASUS has released in the past look like they were written in DOS - they are THAT bad.

I personally feel this is a software, driver issue as it seems to occur mainly after waking from sleep. Something is turning something off when it goes to sleep and the thing that is supposed to turn it on again is not working. Seems on the surface that it should be a simple solution.

One other point. Google search this issue. It really isn't that prevalent. Only a few threads even discussing it. So what is the common thread among those with issues? Same hardware run? Same personal software causing a conflict?

6. HenryK

HenryK Pen Pal - Newbie

Just simply download devcon and put a 'bat' file with those two lines in the same folder.

7. HenryK

HenryK Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, my tablet also faces the overheating issue. When my workaround works fine for me, ironically, yesterday the tablet happened to drop to the ground from a half-meter height and its touch completely failed!

8. HenryK

HenryK Pen Pal - Newbie

I feel strange too. I am in China and there is hardly any Chinese forum discussing this problem. I also called the local ASUS service and they said no similar issue had been reported.

9. Elaenapreston

Elaenapreston Pen Pal - Newbie

Your I'm experiencing the same problem. I will try your above steps, and report back.

10. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My pen would quit working randomly while never going to sleep.
    I could be handwriting in OneNote and it would freeze in the middle of
    a word.
    Other times I would be in Windows Explorer or an editing program,
    just pointing and clicking and it would freeze.

Hope your fix really works. It sure beats having your tablet out for repair
    for over 30 days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.