A simple way to turn on/off finger touch in slate 7

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by cook_guru, Apr 15, 2012.

1. cook_guru

cook_guru Pen Pal - Newbie

You might feel difficult to utilize onenote or windows journal using tablet pen because of unwanted finger or palm touch action on the screen.
    There is a simple way to turn off and on the finger touch. It works perfect for windows 8 as well as windows 7.

1. You should download the software DevManView from the following links. It is free and small.
    The software is very convenient to find every device in your PC and you can disable or enable one of them.

for 32bit OS: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/devmanview.zip
    for 64bit OS: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/devmanview-x64.zip

software website: Alternative to device manager of Windows

2. You can unzip the downloaded file to where-ever you want.
    ex) c:\devmanview-x64\

3. Now, you can create a shourtcut icon locating the exe file (ex., C:\devmanview-x64\DevManView.exe) in your desktop.

4. Right-click the icon and select the 'property'.

5. Copy following text and paste it to the 'Target' field. You should modify the file path if you made path name different from mine.

C:\devmanview-x64\DevManView.exe /enable "HID\VID_03EB&PID_211C&MI_00\8&17d7d6bb&0&0000"

This is an icon for enabling finger touch.

6. Now, you should create an icon for disabling finger touch.
    Copy following text and paste it to the 'Target' field of another shortcut icon.

C:\devmanview-x64\DevManView.exe /disable "HID\VID_03EB&PID_211C&MI_00\8&17d7d6bb&0&0000"

7. Finally, it is recommended to check the option 'Run this program as an administrator' in the Compatibility tab of icon property.

That's all!! Now you can disable or enable finger touch by clicking those icons in your desktop.

2. sknne77

sknne77 Pen Pal - Newbie

I did this. And then I couldn't re enable it? Is there a way to do this?

3. sknne77

sknne77 Pen Pal - Newbie

And its made my on screen keyboard small?? Wt?

4. Inkermoy

Inkermoy Scribbler - Standard Member

It didn't work for me. I've been using a shortcut to CP Pen and Touch. It would be good if someone figured out how to assign the Windows Key to turn Touch on and off. It'd make switching between drawing and browsing much easier.

5. cook_guru

You can simply resize the on screen keyboard. :)

6. cook_guru

I improved the functionality. Now you can toggle the windows key to turn on/off the finger/palm touch.

1. You should download the software DevManView from the following links. It is free and small.
    The software is very convenient to find every device in your PC and you can disable or enable one of them.

for 32bit OS: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/devmanview.zip
    for 64bit OS: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/devmanview-x64.zip

2. You should download and install 'Autohotkey'.
    http://www.autohotkey.com/download/AutoHotkeyInstall.exe

3. Now, you can create a new AutoHotkey script by right-cliking the desktop and selecting new->AutoHotkey Script

4. You can write a script like this and execute it. You should modify the file path if you have different file path for DevManView from mine. You should also confirm whether the device instance ID ("HID\VID_03EB&PID_211C&MI_00\8&17d7d6bb&0&0000") is the same as mine.
    Launch the DevManView.exe and confirm the device instance ID for touch.

Now you can disable or enable finger touch by clicking the windows button in your slate 7.

Following additional procedure is optional (very convenient).

1. Change the User Account Setting
    Control panel -> System and Security -> Change User Account Control settings -> Never notify

2. Register the script file (****.ahk) to the StartUp folder in windows 8. You can take a look at following link to register your script file to the StartUp folder.

Where Is Startup Folder & How To Edit Startup Items In Windows 8

7. aarick

aarick Pen Pal - Newbie

That is the keyboard launch using the pen. If you launch the keyboard even with touch enabled but with the pen, it'll launch a different size keyboard. You can resize it and it'll stay the size you set it as.

8. aarick

aarick Pen Pal - Newbie

DevManView works great in Windows 8 CP. Just need to figure out the hardware id of the touch screen.

I use an application called Touch Control in Windows 7. It sits in the notification area and you double click to enable, double click to disable. Works great.

9. cook_guru

I found a better way.

The 'windows' button is not so good because it overrides the other buttons as well. Instead, the 'Volume down' or ''Volume up' key is much better option for the touch toggle.

You should find out the scan code for 'Volume down' or ''Volume up' . The 'Volume down' key was 'SC12E' in my slate PC.

If you want find out the scan code for 'Volume down', create a autohotkey script first containing following code.

Code:
    #InstallKeybdHook
    Then execute it and press the 'Volume down' key in your slate pc. Then open the autohotkey and select view->key history. It will display the SC code for the button.

If you want use the original volume down function, just press rotation rock button first (do not release) and press 'volume down' button.

Now every button in your slate PC will be able to function as you want. The windows button and rotation rock button will perfectly work.

The complete code of mine is as follows.

Code:
    toggle := 1
    SC12E::
    toggle := !toggle
    if toggle
    {
    Run C:\devmanview-x64\DevManView.exe /enable "HID\VID_03EB&PID_211C&MI_00\8&17d7d6bb&0&0000"
    }
    else
    {
    Run C:\devmanview-x64\DevManView.exe /disable "HID\VID_03EB&PID_211C&MI_00\8&17d7d6bb&0&0000"
    }

10. Inkermoy

Inkermoy Scribbler - Standard Member

sorry cook_guru, both solutions have no effect. how does one go about picking out the Touch device out of the manager?

@aarick, where would i download the Touch Control app from?