A request from our student population...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rob1116, Jul 14, 2006.

?

In what capacity do you use your tablet for note taking?

1. All the time, I find no need for paper-based notes

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Quite often, for things like annotation and mathematics

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. Rarely; it's much easier to just use paper for most things

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. Other; please post

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. rob1116

rob1116 Scribbler - Standard Member

Encouraging stuff, all of it. This post, along with several others that I have clogged the forum with in my recent attempt to end this internal struggle, have led me to buy a Fujitsu T4210. I placed the order today, and look forward to reaping the benefits described herein... that is, when the thing finally arrives; expected shipping date is July 31st! Making someone wait that long for a pre-configured model is just cruel Fujitsu :)

P8RSON: Thanks for the links... reading about software will help me pass the time.

2. hiheyho

hiheyho Pen Pal - Newbie

paper is all i need, tablet pc is useless

3. rob1116

Thank you for your stimulating input.

4. jadam

jadam Pen Pal - Newbie

Im taking a Summer class in classical Physics right now, very calculus heavy, and I find it easy enough to take notes with my tablet.

For the most part, I use Microsoft Equation Writer, to write down my equations into one note...

MS Equation Writer lets you write down equations in handwriting and converts it into text for you.

For example, my notes from last friday(class started on wednesday)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/irwhiteboi/physicsnotes.jpg

5. risknc

risknc Pen Pal - Newbie

i dont have a tablet yet, but ive taken calculus (ap bc in high school) and id imagine itd be mighty hard to write out infinite series approximations in a laptop. and its definately cool to be able to draw curves next to equations while youre workin on a problem, and to be able to store that in one file would have been a great help durring calc i know .

6. rob1116

Wow, that picture really put my mind at ease, thank you! Your notes look almost as cramped and messy as my paper notes do... which is what I want! Also, as I thought, the resolution doesn't leave a lot of work space - but it is definitely usable.

When I take notes, I include many side notes, arrows, underlining, and general scribbling and personal mnemonics; I also write pretty fast. Jadam: How do you find the response of the pen? Is there a noticable delay? I think that even a small delay would be distracting, because when writing fast you would get ahead of yourself so that you are writing and the last few letters you wrote would just be appearing.

7. {NOC}MONK

{NOC}MONK Pen Pal - Newbie

Good question. I have also wondered about this but never asked.

-MONK

8. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

there wans't any delay when I used my campus bookstores x41 when I was vigorously transcribing orgo chem notes :D

9. jadam

jadam Pen Pal - Newbie

Delay is not noticeable when using MS One Note =]

If there is any, it definetly isn't such that the letters would be appearing after you finished writing the next word...

The pen tends to write fine for me, im using an Acer C204 currently.

I should also note that the picture I posted was in landscape mode, I use the tablet in portrait mode for taking down notes, more vertical writing room =] Also I usually keep Equation Writer minimized and only pop it up when I need to write an equation neatly. Plenty writing space in my opinion since you can infinitely scroll down.

10. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

that screenshot is exactly what i needed to see. i may not be doing physics or chem, but for computer science and psychology, there are tons of diagrams, flow charts, and graphs to be drawn that are NEVER in my prof's notes. for some reason, i have been cursed with having profs who never post notes online. my laptop has been nice since i am able to type faster than i can write, but the diagrams have killed me time and time again.

one question though. is there any delay with the pen when you have several programs running in the background? for example, let's pretend you have at least 5 open programs sitting in the task bar, MSN , as well as a program debugging a set of code running in the background. do you know if that will greatly affect the response of the pen?