A request from our student population...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rob1116, Jul 14, 2006.

?

In what capacity do you use your tablet for note taking?

1. All the time, I find no need for paper-based notes

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Quite often, for things like annotation and mathematics

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. Rarely; it's much easier to just use paper for most things

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. Other; please post

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. rob1116

rob1116 Scribbler - Standard Member

Honestly, is a convertible tablet PC a realistic alternative to paper and pencil?

I will be taking university level math, physics, plenty of chem and bio. Most of the lecture materials (slides and such) are available online in PDF to download before each lecture. I've never owned a laptop, or a tablet, and I've never been in a university/college environment. Provided I have the right software, will I actually find it easier to record formulae, perform example calculations, draw diagrams, etc. on my laptop rather than on paper?

Obviously for textual notes, I will just use the keyboard. Please, cast your vote!

2. afinemetsfan

afinemetsfan Pen Pal - Newbie

I am an engineering student. I think a tablet would improve my note taking (I dont have one yet) With pen and paper, I take notes only when I know the info wont be available someplace else. When I do write something down - I usully can't read it.

If you are thinking about using a keyboard to enter formulas - see how fast you can "type" a math equation using a computer equation writer. Now see how fast you can write the equation with a pen and paper.

A tablet would definitly help with organic chem(a glorified art class) - probably the worst chem class you will take.

So you have to look at your current note taking habbits, and see if they would be improved by using a tablet. If you are not an organized person, then a tablet is a godsend, when combined with a scanner - all your papers are in one easy to find place.

3. rob1116

Oh I agree... if I get a standard laptop, I will be using pencil and paper for math/graphs/diagrams and such. I too think that it will be much nicer keeping them on one electronic device rather than multiple paper notebooks, but having never used a tablet for any length of time, I don't know how easily it is implimented, and how realistic it actually is.

It might be more hassle than it's worth. Thank you for you comments (really), but I'm still hoping we can get some imput from current tablet owning students... where are you people?! :)

4. blblblbl

blblblbl Pen Pal - Newbie

I do theoretical physics, and I am a messy person. Before getting the tablet, my room is filled with a huge pile of scrap paper - unorganized sketches of calculations with cross-out everywhere. I don't want to throw those away becaue they might be useful.

With the tablet, I can do everything with ink, then save the scrap into one folder in OneNote. And if neccessary I can copy and paste into my "good" notes.

Also, with paper notebooks, everything is written down in a chronological order; with a digital tablet, you can reorder notes anyway you like.

In a lecture, the instructor will keep writting on the blackboard, and you copy stuff into your notebook. Alot of times you'll run out of paper space when a very important conclusive remark comes out, now you can either "squeeze it in" at the bottom of the page or write that down in the top of next page. 4 months later when you're trying to cram for an exam in two days, chances are you'll miss it entirely. With digital tablet, you won't have that issue.

these 3 things are good enough for me to get a tablet.

5. rob1116

Excellent blblblbl, exactly what I wanted to hear!

Which program do you use for note taking? Is it just a blank writing space?

6. blblblbl

blblblbl Pen Pal - Newbie

MS OneNote comes with my tablet, it gives you several choices line-ruled and grid-ruled background

EDIT: there's a 1/5 inch grid background for OneNoe, very useful. you can download it from MS website.

7. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah i demoed the x41tablet at my campus university bookstore and tried taking orgo notes in one note and it worked pretty well.

too bad im already finished with ORGO! WOOHOO no more orgo notes! gogogogogogo systems mathematics and thermodynamics next!

8. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Rob,
    There is quite a wealth of programs available to help in using your tablet.
    Take a look at TabletPCPost and TabletPC2.
    Both offer a variety of software titles to help in making the transition from keyboard to pen an enjoyable experience.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. nfwolfpryde

nfwolfpryde Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm an electrical/computer engineer myself. It's really nice to be able to do circuit diagrams with ink. Plus, I can e-mail friends/colleagues when I have problems or to do a brainstorm. Or, to e-mail my TA my signature because I forgot to sign off on the Physics lab report...

10. nfwolfpryde

nfwolfpryde Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh, and something you might want to checkout, MS has some "Education Packs" for for tablet users. Both free, and one comes with an equation editor so you can write your equations. But, better than that is a program called MathJournal. It's like MathCad, but it supports ink! You can assign greek symbols to matricies and manipulate them all with native ink support! I'm getting it myself for next semester. As soon as I get a copy I'll be sure to write up a quick review.