A poor student looking for a tablet with pressure sensitivity!

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Cipher, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Cipher

Cipher Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Everyone!

I can't believe how helpful just searching this community has been, but I figured I should probably directly ask the experts for some advice before making a purchase! As much as I hate to fall back on cliches, I'm a 'poor student' so research before making a big purchase is a necessity.

Thanks so much in advance for everyone's help!

On a side note, I have been looking into the Cube-i7 Stylus as a potential choice, which looks promising, so if anyone has experience with that and can give me an idea of if it's any good, I'd love to here from you! :)

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

Ideally under $500AUD though I could push it up to $600 if necessary.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

Probably not, unless there were some extreme savings to be had!

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

I’m not hugely fazed to be honest, though I guess tablet PC / Convertible / 2-in-1 would be ideal.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

10 to 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

Australia. The land of harsh tech prices, deadly animals, and deadly cute animals.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

Not especially, no.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

3-4 at least would be the best outcome, though at a push 2 hours could be workable.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Predominantly notetaking, Ebooks, some drawing / graphics work, and I guess maybe some general web usage.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

I think Windows would be ideal, though if the unit is great and within price Android would be fine too. I’d possibly like to avoid Apple because I don’t gell with the OS at all. Can’t put my finger on why but we’re chalk and cheese. :p

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

I guess the likes of Microsoft Word, some kind of PDF software, some Ebooks and then some graphics programs like Art Rage, Medibang Paint, etc.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

Not really. My laptop covers those.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

It would be handy if this could stream to chromecast, but that’s really all I need it to do.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

I’m not entirely comfortable with my knowledge of this, but I’d say while 1080p would be ideal, 720 should be fine to.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Not really, it’s mainly for lecture halls.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

A pen is my stumbling block, because it’s the total deal break, the tablet needs to have a pressure sensitive stylus, or be compatible with one. I’m not entirely sure I grasp the difference between say, active digitizers and resistive screens, but a pressure sensitive stylus is a must. :)

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

Expandable memory would be great, and while HDD (or SDD) space would be great, it’s not a deal breaker if things are on the slim side, I could certainly make do with 32gb and such.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

I have a USB OTG converter, so microUSB and microSDs are fine. It wouldn’t worry me if HDMI inputs were there, but they are by no means a necessity.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

Not really to be honest, I just really appreciate the help this community is happy to give out. I hate to fall on clichés but I’m a poor student so I can’t afford to be ‘gung-ho’ and end up regretting a purchase of this scale.

Thanks so much for all your help!

2. Shiratori

Shiratori Pen Pal - Newbie

As you're happy with Android the Galaxy Tab S3 might work for you, and is within the top end of your budget. Also, as its screen is under 10 inches the Android version of Office should have full editing functionality (on devices with screens larger than 10 inches it only works as a reader unless you have an Office 365 subscription). The S Pen should work quite nicely with ArtRage, Artflow, Sketchbook Pro and Medibang Paint.

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I'd also consider looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 with S-Pen (also android) it can be had for $272 to $299 at best buy.

4. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Which one? :D

No but seriously, on a budget, I recommend Galaxy Tab A (w/S Pen) for Android, or Cube Mix Plus for Windows. :)

crazycat likes this.
  5. Shiratori

Shiratori Pen Pal - Newbie

The Cube tablets are quite good for the price, but bear in mind that you don't really get any sort of warranty as they're imported from China. My fiancée has a Cube iWork11 that she's quite happy with, although it occasionally refuses to turn on and requires a hard reset to get going. Between the Galaxy Tab A 10.1 with S Pen and the Galaxy Tab S3 I think the S3 would be the better bet if you're wanting to do digital art as the beefier processor and higher amount of RAM is going to be better once you're using more than a few layers. The AMOLED screen is supposed to be quite nice, too.

6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Cube Mix Plus is a major step up in performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Cipher

Cipher Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks so much for your advice everyone!

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately the S3 is quite new over here, so few stores stock it yet, and those that do are in the habit of charging $800-1000 AUD (a ways above my budget, unfortunately). I hadn't considered the S-Pen though, so thanks for that advice!

I just had a look at some local stores and I can pick up the A 10.1 with S-Pen for arounf $550 AUD, which is smack bang within budget, this seems like a great option at this stage!
    Considering the Possums in my front/back yards, the native birds in the trees and the native ducks that have taken up residence, we're pretty spoiled on the wildlife front. I would have to say my heart goes to Magpies though. Never seen birds with such incredible senses of pride. They're crazy smart and if you treat them well they're incredibly trusting and rather friendly. :)

Seeing multiple people recommend the Tab A w/S Pen is making me lean is this direction, it sounds like a great unit and it reviews well also! The Cube units sound great, but the delivery and warranty factors concern me a little.

Yeah the warranty does give me pause, because I'm the sort of person who loves to have that bit of piece of mind a warranty will give. That being said even if I don't go with a Cube unit, they sound like impressive units and I'd love to see them succeed.

Thanks for the comps between the S3 and the Tab A w/S pen. I'm not hugely fussed if the Tab A doesn't have the AMOLED display, but it's nice to know the differences. I'm not exactly experienced with tablets in any great sense, but most of my drawing would be restricted to under 10 layers max, more than likely 3-4. For the $300+ difference in price, I'm not sure the value for me personally is there. Thanks so much for your help though! :)

Yeah I missed those on the website and they sound impressive! Like the other cube models the lack of warranty concerns me a little though. :)

Wow, I can't thank all of you enough, this has been so helpful! I think given what you have all said it's basically down to the Galaxy Tab S3 and the Galaxy Tab A, though I'm leaning heavily towards the Tab A with S Pen. Do you all think it's a good unit?

Once again, thanks so much for your help! :)

8. crazycat

crazycat Pen Pal - Newbie

I wouldn't pay a premium for an android tablet if I could buy a penabled core m tablet for the same price. So if you go for android, the tab A model should be adequate. I had done like 20 layers on my super old galaxy note 8.0 and it's still fine. Android app while have improved, still no where as good as the windows top choice, so I don't think beefier processor or higher resolution would matter much, especially when you are budget conscious.

Other than that I think cube mix plus. I'm not sure if branded stuff is available where you live but if it doesn't, the cost of importing from the us would be much worse than China and some US item lose warranty when used outside the US anyway.

9. Cipher

Cipher Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I can pick up the likes of the Galaxy Tab A from a local franchise a couple of minutes away, and they usually tack on a hefty in-store warranty (my laptop I bought form them has something like a 5 year warranty covering everything except deliberate mistreatment).

While the Windows OS of something like the Cube would be ideal, with the lack of warranties, and the danger of shipping it (Australia's postal service isn't exactly what I'd call gentle), I think (in many ways unfortunately) I'll steer clear of that for now.

It's good to the Tab A would be able to handle moderate layering though! :)