A plain magnetic flip cover for microsoft surface pro 4?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by siddhartth, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Would you want a non type flip cover for Surface Pro 4 if you have not bought a type cover?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Most third party flip covers for the SP4 ALSO cover the back of the device.
    Which might be great for some people but it makes it impossible or clunky to deploy the kickstand. And also hides the beautiful Magnesium Alloy body or one's custom skins. Added bulk is also not a welcome feature for people who use it as a TabletPC and not as a NotebookPC.

So any folio a flip cover that attaches to the surface body the same way Type cover attaches. Or comes off as easily as the type cover. And can be detached and reattached in away that it protects the back when devices is being used as a notebook lying flat on a rough surface.

Flipped infront to cover the screen
    [​IMG]
    Detached and attached backwards to protect the back. I do not want it to flip backwards because that way the surface touching the table will pick up a all the gunk and deposit it on the Screen when the folio is closed back in to position.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Kickstarter please! It's something I've wanted for my Surface 3, and something that would make the Surface Book clipboard a whole lot more appealing to me, especially if the cover came with a pen 'groove' for clipping on the stylus. Plus points for being super light, and for having some kind of stand mode that doesn't make the cover look like an origami project.

siddhartth likes this.
  3. siddhartth

I wouldn't be in the need of a magnetic Flip cover if Microsoft would have included type cover as standard, and made surface book keyboard a "pro" keyboard.

Here is a design which would have made surface pro a totally lappable solution with adequate protection for both back and
    2016-09-22 02.26.25.png 2016-09-22 02.03.25.png

With the folio closed, surface pro 4 would have looked like a true hardcover bound notebook. Kickstand will remain functional. And the Magnesium alloy back back and logo will be protected by the back leaf of the folio. Withouot having to be hidden by some skin or bulky leather wallet case for rest of the life of the device. Like it is hidden in this leather case in the picture below.
    Screenshot_2016-09-23-19-23-35.jpg

What's the point of protecting the beauty you can not flaunt. Whenever you will be ina typing mode with kickstand stannd deployed and back leaf of the folio lying flat on the table, the Microsoft logo and Magnesium body will show.:cool:

The added benefit is that the kickstand won't dig into the thighs anymore.
    Make both the keyboard cover and the Surface pro 4 body 13.3 inches, so this way surface pro 4 will be compatible with the the surface book key board. And let's kill the "pro" line and call it just the the surface book.

BUT A PLAIN SIMPLE AND MUCH CHEAPER NON-KEYBOARD MAGNETICALLY ATTACHED FLIPCOVER IS A NO BRAINER IN ANYCASE. ANY ENTERPRENEUERS OUT THERE?

I wonder why third parties havenot come up with one already.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    JoeS likes this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It would be nice to have something like this. Or, better yet, the old touch cover like the one I had for my SP1. It would be great to have the type cover turn off when folded back, so there was not need to reverse the cover, hiding the membrane keys.

5. siddhartth

If you don't reverse the cover, won't the keys pick up table gunk?

6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Bonus: add a proper pen loop, and this will probably be the most elegant cover solution for slate-mode users. :)

siddhartth likes this.
  7. siddhartth

Exactly. the kickstand will remain functional, in magnetic back will remain naked on covered with your custom dbran skin. They really did not need to waste internal space in the tablet for magnets.

There is this company called moko, shipping stuff of China, It has made it's own budget magnetic keyboard for SP4. I do not know what stopped them from making magnetic flip covers.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Membrane keys can just be wiped off.

9. siddhartth

It's magnetic bro, attaching and detaching will be easier than cleaning stuff. The current gen Type cover is already able to fold backwards. Or, may be I am just lazy.

10. Robert1953

Robert1953 Pen Pal - Newbie

Surface cover.jpg I made a cover using a defective surface pro 3 type cover i bought on eBay cheap, I removed all the keys and the pins on the smart connect. I then filled the void where the keys where with a thin piece of high density foam (often used to protect mobo's in the box) and then covered the whole thing with sticky backed thin felt from amazon (used in craft projects). I have attached a picture, sorry its so blurry but you get the idea. Total cost under $25 dollars.

siddhartth and JoeS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.