A new Lenovo 14" USB monitor with touch and PEN coming!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shogmaster, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Remember that 13.3" Wacom UD EMR USB monitor Lenovo put out like 5 years ago? It was Thinkvision LT1423p, with 1600x900 IPS and 10 point multitouch.

Well Lenovo just announced a successor. Thinkvision M14t

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The question is, will it be AES or EMR? And will it have Wacom Feel driver support?

In either case $450 price seems reasonable (amazing if EMR). The option to do portrait orientation with stand is a nice touch as well.

Let us all cross our fingers collectively for an EMR digitizer, but the size of that pen says to me AES at best and at worse (gasp) their new USI pen...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    WillAdams, JoeS, Marty and 1 other person like this.
  2. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

Holy smokes this is exciting! The LT1423p was a great idea held back by displaylink USB drivers and low resolution IMO. It looks like the previous generation M14 supports displayport alt mode instead of displaylink, so hopefully that means this new one can be properly GPU accelerated.

While I would normally find fault with the unfortunate 16:9 aspect ratio, likely Wacom AES (pretty sure the video shows an AES Active Pen 2) and the price, I'm thrilled to have another option on the market. At least it has a 1080p IPS display, auto rotate sensor and no silly origami stand nonsense. :)

darkmagistric likes this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Its probablly AES....and thats probably for the best.

I had (hell I still have it somewhere) the Lt1423p... much like the EMR Thinkpad Tablet 10, the Lt1423p was also hot garbage.

Like the Thinkpad Tablet 10, really no EMR pen of any gen worked well on the Lt, even the included silo stick didn't perform well. No matter what pen, or calibration its cursor would never fully align, the cursor drift when you got anywhere near the edges was horrendous, and something with the pressure always felt off. And the cherry on top was how they somehow made it incompatible with backend erasers. And it all didn't help the the LT had just god awful color quality, and its whole USB powered/display link driver would crash or bug out endlessly. Like if Wacom had any hand in sabotaging the Lt to be awful for Artists, they succeeded.

The USB-C/display port nature of this new model should be alleviate alot of problems the Lt had, and using AES by its nature should prevent the cursor/drift problems that really plagued the Lt. Come September, sign me up.

4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

LonTV actually did a review of non-touch M14 last year:

Overall the design seems much more ergonomic than most portable displays, with integrated hinge stand, brightness adjustment rocker, and dual USB-C ports with passthrough charging.

Input lag was tested at 88ms (@9:08) which sounds high, but is actually pretty fast compared to this test, with ~50ms on a local monitor, and falls just under a fast ShadowPC remote connection (~100ms). Would be interesting to compare this to @surfaceproartist’s latency tests, but overall this should be very useable for drawing.

Shogmaster likes this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yesss! Say hello to dual monitor setups at Starbucks! :D That is, if this Covid thing ever subsides.

6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Why do I feel like you just jinxed us for another 12 months...

wytn, alaskajoel and darkmagistric like this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Honestly, I feel like there's no jinxing needed to predict that we'll be dealing with C19 for at least the coming 12 months :( But hey, having a dual monitor setup on the patio while working form home will also be great. :cool:

wytn and Shogmaster like this.
  8. darkmagistric

As someone who spent an obscene about of time getting work done in coffee shops, (dual monitor work load at that) this Pandemic has been especially hard on me since I get nothing done at home. But even with Coffee shops closed, you still have more options if you think creatively.

I found this perfect little shaded picnic area in a park I've been getting my work done at. None of the distractions of home, and the lack of wifi is workable with mobile hotspoting my t-mobile plan. With the Playgrounds closed, this area was empty and perfect for my uses, especially when the weather was more agreeable the past two month. Sadly the Playgrounds have recently been allowed to reopen, and with the influx of kids and soccer moms, my little spot is sadly no longer an option. But with the Jersey summer heat now fully in....days of 100 F weather and horrid humidity, the spot would have been ruined anyway.

20200527_150356_compress47.jpg

But when this Lenovo 14-inch hits and the coffee shops hopefully open (knock on wood) I will attempt to say hello to Triple Monitor Setups at Starbucks.

wytn, doobiedoobiedum, JoeS and 2 others like this.
  9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Do the other cafe-goers not give you the evil eye when you bust out your full setup across the table? :p

wytn and alaskajoel like this.
  10. darkmagistric

Quite the contrary, most people would never even think to take a 2nd monitor out into the wild. More then a few just thought it was a 2nd laptop and are amazed when I explain the ease of just plugging it into a single USB-C port. My set up gets looks and stares, but overall its been mostly positive.

However I am also very respectful of the coffee shops all things considered. There's one coffee shop I like that has a long communal table, to maximize seating, I opt for the ends of the table since it fits both my Zbook and Asus monitor on the end, (which really isn't a designated seat) and overall leaves most of the table seating open. Some shops also just don't have the table space to fit both, but the ones that do, if its a peak time or just suddenly busy and every seat is taken, I gladly put the 2nd monitor away if it means extending seating/space to others. And I don't typically hog outlets or waste chairs/tables for coats and bags. I have seen some down right rude people who abuse open coffee shop space. One coffee house has this area with a long bench and 4 separate tables with 2 seats each (bench and chair) and more times then I care to admit, I've seen all 4 tables occupied by a single person or two. Typically its almost always two women, who push two of the tables together and drape their coats, purses, and shopping bags over the other two tables like they are claiming the entire section. One time I saw a mother who had hogged the entire section with 2 baby strollers and her bags and coats. Those people tend to get the evil eye far more often then little old me. And I always order multiple drinks and/or food. I appreciate and support those spaces in any way I can.

Marty likes this.