A new CL900 owner

Discussion in 'Motion Computing' started by excalibur1814, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well...

While waiting for the new tablets to hit the UK and after canceling my Dell Lat 10 order I've, shockingly, found myself without a tablet! £220 from ebay and with luck, on Wednesday, I'll have hold of my first Motion tablet. I'm pretty much aware of how it'll function due to previously owning a HP Slate 2 and Dell ST so I'm not expecting much :). It's a cheap device that'll go to my partner once I get something else.

More to follow:

2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I'm actually quite interested in your experience.

I went to Motion's site and they've got a full set of Win 8 drivers all set up for the cl900 specifically. My memory is it lagged some on Win7, but Win 8 is supposed to run lighter and be better with touch, so who knows? Being made for field work applications versus consumers, Motion is pretty good about providing drivers. Shame its not Wacom though. Still, it's Motion-- which means its tough, designed for outdoor work, and has a silo.

It would be great to hear about the build and screen, as those are the things that will move from one version to another. How does the screen perform outside? How is it to write on? Motion usually has some mild texture on their screens and this provides a bit of tactile feedback and cuts on glare. It'd be nice to hear about what the the cl9xx models provide on that. How's it feel while carrying it around? Reasonably balanced? etc

I'm also curious to hear about an older Ntrig and older Atom device being used in Windows 8. Performance improvement at all? or the same ol', same ol'?

It's not quite as light and thin as these other Win8 Atom tablets, but it's pretty close-- .61" and 2.1 lbs. Sort of like the specs for the iCore tablets. But this is actually droppable from 4'! And its ip52 rated, so it can get wet and dusty, etc. The truth is that the product has a lot going for it, if the Atom processors and the NTrig pen will improve enough. The build, etc. seem like they'd be pretty good.

Clearly I've thought about using one of these for work (I'm a landscape designer and contractor). Please share how it goes!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  3. excalibur1814

Will do

I'll report back on Wednesday after installing a clean Win 8... I'll also be tweaking the living heck out of it :)

4. Steve B

Cool! I figure since you had the single core Slate 500 you'll have a good opportunity to see if there's legitimate improvement with win 8 on these order Atom slates. I would still imagine some lag, usability issues, etc. but I'm curious.

Clearly the move from single to dual core Atoms has helped performance greatly. Next is the clear jump to out-of-order processors and 4 GB ram next year with Bay Trail. I think when we get that we'll really be competing very, very well with your run of the mill Core 2 duo. It seems like we're in a period where Atom processors are dramatically improving with each generation, rather than being the pretty minor, incremental steps we've been getting with x86 processors for the last 3-4 years. And N-Trig seems to be improving too, from the reports in the Duo 11 thread. That combo, plus Atom's battery life and fanless design bodes really well!

Assuming your experience with the cl900 and Win8 is relatively positive, I could see myself getting a cl920 refresh 6-7 months out from now. Motion is usually very prompt about putting out new models with updated cpus.

Now if only they would provide a proper clamshell-style keyboard dock! Motion just won't do it. :p

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  5. BurntOrngeLonghorn84

BurntOrngeLonghorn84 Scribbler - Standard Member

As a current CL900, and someone who went from Win7 to Win8, I'll just tell you while the performance increase was modest at best, it was still welcomed. With that said, it's still a single core Atom, so anything multimedia based - forget about it. Ntrig still has beta drivers, so I've lost palm rejection in Windows 8. Also, there is considerable pen lag, with pen strokes displaying seconds after it's actually made. Personally, I don't use it for art, so it doesn't bother me. I just keep on writing notes, and there's never a pen loss, it just seems like it's forever catching up to itself. From what I can tell there's no special coating on the screen like what you mention, and it has a pretty good glare on it.

The build is top notch which is typical of motion. I've even dropped my tablet while standing, hitting hard pavement, didn't skip a beat. There is a nice road-rash dent on the upper corner, but nothing broke. The screen can get bright, but not really bright enough for real outdoor viewing in the sunlight.

I love my CL900 for what it's been, but it's always left me wanting a little more in all areas besides build quality. The thing I love most is the the pen silo and the 1:2 charge ratio. 1 hr of charge gives 2 hr of constant use battery life. This seems to be better then industry standard for tablets, and has saved me quite a bit.

6. Steve B

Well, that's about what I would expect, unfortunately. The good news is that build quality is good. I'm surprised the screen is better outdoors. Tests I've seen seem to show its way better than the iPad. The real issue is the processor, and that will only improve.

7. excalibur1814

It arrived today and it's pretty much as BurntOrngeLonghorn84 stated. It does have that speckled type screen that I've seen on a Fujitsu and one 2740p along with mobile broadband. It's slow, doesn't complete the WEI score and you need nails to release the left hand side socket cover. I really do like the stylus holder and the build is really, really solid. It's slow... I slapped myself a few times waiting for it to do things.

Pictures to follow

I would use it for a few days but the Sammy Smart pc has arrived :)

8. SeanL

SeanL Pen Pal - Newbie

Im also a new owner of a CL900, Im a Engineering student at a Florida university and got it basically to cut my umbilical cord from my big notebook

It has Windows 7 so I have Microsoft Office (OneNote with the digitizer pen that comes along works wonders for digital notes, I now keep all of my hand written notes on the tablet and can write directly into the program) and the programs actually runs much better than I had expected on the PC Tablet since I knew the performance specs before I bought it.

To get to the point, the web connection is just terrible. I dont know if its just the individual CL900 that I have, or all of them as a total. When downloads start, the connection might as well not exist, and it cannot (AT ALL) stream a video on youtube. Also, if Im at school, it takes a good 20-30 seconds just to load a page.

For discounted price that you can now get these Windows 7 supportive tablets, it is very worth it regardless of the little expected lags here or there. But this multimedia/net browsing/DL speed is god aweful and something has to be wrong.

Ive looked all over for a solution (faulty adapter, updates to the Atom processor, getting rid of unnecessary programs) but havent been successful yet. Has anyone else ran into this issue, or can you direct me to the right path?

Thanks a million.

9. BurntOrngeLonghorn84

BurntOrngeLonghorn84 Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't have any problem with the web connection. Most of the webpage load issue is the 1.5ghz and 2gb RAM. When you load a webpage which uses flash ads, it takes even longer. There are some posts around here on downloading firefox and the extension to block ads...you may want to give that a shot.

My file upload/download speeds are right in line with my other devices, so I have to pin it on it's ability to render the pages, not download the pages.

10. Steve B

I know this thread sort of died out, but I've pondered getting a used cl910. The user reviews for the Fujistsu q552 have been reasonable, and it has the same processor as this. I prefer the q552's 16:10 ratio, but this has a pen silo. Does anyone have any pics of the pen silo and how it works? Additionally, has anyone tried out the newer Ntrig pens? I believe I read that you can use a v.4 type pen on the older Ntrig models. This would be great, as the newer model pen seems to be universally preferred and recommended.

I know you all had/have the older model, but any info on this would be helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.