A month with SP3 and demise of Android

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by r11, Aug 5, 2014.

1. r11

r11 Scribbler - Standard Member

Executive summary: I forgot the last time I used my Nexus 10.

SP3 completely replaced Android in my daily use:

- Web browsing is just infinitely faster. Using stock IE, didn't even try chrome, I hear it is horrendous in Metro
    - It is perfectly usable as Ebook reader . I am growing old waiting for Montano to port their reader to Windows 8. In the meantime, reading is split between MS's own PDF Reader app, Calibre (I wish he fully supported Metro, but looks like he's heading in that direction) and another epub reader. Main issue: outside of Calibre, no other epub readers in Windows world are faithful enough in rendering technical epubs - ones with diags, tables, fixed font snippets ( like code in programming books). I end up skinning the tech epubs to my liking (Calibre rules supreme - u basically just edit the CSS!) and converting them to PDF. For usual epub books (novels etc), pretty much anything works. Tablet is light enough to read on, as long as you rest the edge/weight thereof on your spare tire.
    - For maps/traffic, I simply open maps.google.com in the browser (bookmark your location). Use case: about to travel, what's the traffic like.
    - Instead of RainyDays, I bookmarked the animated Doppler Gif for my area directly from gov't weather site. Use case: may be going hiking/fishing, is it going to rain in next N hours
    - For tides, I bookmarked NOAA tide table URL. Going fishing, wanna see tides.
    - For weather, I bookmarked Google weather page for my zipcode. It gives you hour-by-hour temp, wind. As accurate as the source they use (govt weather), but good enough for today and maaaay be tomorrow. The dedicated weather sites are simply horrendous. If you really wanna know if it is going to rain, open the doppler gif.
    - I installed the official google search app. Main use: voice search. It is outright scary how accurate the VR is, even wid me accent.
    - For twitter, nothing beats using their website. The app, Android and Metro, are sheer horror, avoid em like plague
    - For forums, I installed the Metro Tapatalk. Usable enough, about par with Android, but still has bugs here and there. Of course not all forums support the API that Tapatalk uses and there you have to use web ui. Still I have about 5 forums that I read using tapatalk.
    - the keyboard is a god send. I even use it as support for the tablet in landscape mode. Fold it back, open the rear latch and now you can have a very sturdy thing in your lap. Very very lapable
    - After disabling the indexer, the tablet never even gets warm when in use. I dont play games on mine.
    - Pen and OneNote are pure heaven. Bliss. Nuff said. I do wish they threw more of Word's more advanced features into OneNote.
    - Stock email client is nice. Use it for Gmail and ActiveSync access to my work email
    - Stock alarm sees occasional use
    - More so for stock News reader apps - when I want to read more lies and half truths from our "free" press. Mostly read tech and auto news.

Somewhat related. Stock Metro notification interface is a horrendous mess compared to Android.
    I still hope MS will insentivise top app devs to port their wares to Metro by throwing benjamins at em. But with the new jefe "Cloud" Satya @ MS, we will be lucky to even see SP line continued. HTF chose him to lead MS is totally beyond me.

Solrax and demandarin like this.
  2. Mhotep

Mhotep Scribbler - Standard Member

Good review. Couple of questions, how did you get Active Sync? Have trouble getting my work email set up. Also has this replaced your desktop and laptop?

3. r11

Whoever manages your email setup, they need to enable you for ActiveSync (aka EAS). They'd give you the server name to connect to and credentials (domain name + user name). Enter it into mail client config and you're all set.

For desktop, I have a true monster (40" 4K display + 30"), 4.8GHz hexa-core beast of a system. For heavy lifting.

4. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

I wouldn't say that it's the demise of Android all together though. It still has a home on smartphones and isn't going away with tablets. I too thought I could have one device as a notebook and tablet. I purchased my Surface Pro 2 and mainly use it as a tablet but dock it when I get home and it turns into my desktop. I'll pop it out of the dock though and use it as a tablet on the couch. However, I found one area where surfing the internet and general tablet use is uncomfortable: the bed. I would feel the same way about the Surface Pro 3 as well. It's just too heavy to comfortably use when lying down in bed or even when reclining in my sofa/lounger. I ended up purchasing a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 mainly for use in the bedroom and when really laying back. It weighs as much as the keyboard cover for a Surface Pro 2/3, is as thin as the keyboard cover for both, and I can easily hold it with one hand for prolonged periods of time.

I do agree that a Surface Pro can replace an Android tablet/iPad for many circumstances but there are still some where a small Android tablet (or an iPad) make more sense. Having said that, I still use my Surface Pro 2 a whole lot more than my Tab Pro 8.4. The larger, widescreen display really makes all the difference in the world when it comes to sitting up and using the tablet.

5. r11

Demise not worldwide, but for me personally.

When I bought SP1, it was mostly about OneNote. Was too heavy, bulky and narrow @ss screen was maddening. For content consumption, I kept using N10/Android.

SP3 is a whole different ballgame. Total gamechanger. N10 no more (and when I do pick it up it feels like molasses comp'd to Sp3).

U must try it (get it @ MS Store, you can always return it for 100% refund methinks).

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  6. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

I did try the Surface Pro 3 before it was released, still went with the SP2. I did that as the internals for the two were the same (at the same price points), the real world battery life is the same, the SP2 is only 0.2 lbs heavier, the SP2 has a better stylus, I like watching widescreen movies without black bars above and below the image, and the 128GB SP2 cost me $550 (with a Power Cover, so now my real world battery life is up around 12-13 hours, 15 hours just surfing the net) by the time the MS Store applied all their discounts. I wasn't going to be able to get a package deal like that with the SP3 and, at the time, I would have been spending $999 on a SP3 as the MS Store wasn't applying any discounts for it.

Even them, a SP3 isn't going to replace a lightweight tablet for use in more relaxing scenarios. It still requires more effort to hold and position than a lightweight tablet weighing a full pound less.

7. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

From what I'm reading seems like tablet sales are slowing and PC sales picking up. I like Android, but having a full PC in a 8" tablet like the ASUS AVTN8 and a Surface 3, there isn't a need for me to use Android.

8. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

Couldn't agree more.
    And Win8.1 is so much better on a tablet than android.
    Don't see myself ditching android for the phone but for tablets it is a no brainer.

9. Ravikaleova

Ravikaleova Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought my Surface Pro 2 and essentially utilize it as a tablet however dock it when I return home and it transforms into my desktop. I'll pop it out of the dock however and use it as a tablet on the love seat. Nonetheless, I discovered one territory where surfing the web and general tablet utilization is uncomfortable: the bunk. I would feel the same path about the Surface Pro 3 too. It's simply excessively overwhelming to agreeably utilize when resting as a part of cot or actually when leaning back in my couch/lounger. I wound up obtaining a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 basically for utilization in the room and when truly laying back.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. strollin

strollin Pen Pal - Newbie

I got a Dell Venue 8 Pro last December and since then my Nexus 7 Android tablet sits collecting dust. When the SP3 came out, I bought one and gave the Dell to my son. I still have an Android based smartphone but all my tablet use is now on the SP3.