A little buying help, please?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brian, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twthompson

twthompson Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, all. I'm about to start a PhD program, and am interested in buying a tablet PC so that I can read and mark up PDF articles electronically, without having to maintain a paper library and an electronic library.

With that said, I'd also like to:
    a) play some 3-d games and
    b) run some processor-intensive MATLAB programs.

Price is a smaller consideration for me than meeting those two requirements, so I'm willing to consider spending up to around $3,000.

Right now, it seems like the best bet for me is the Tecra M4, but I'm worried that there are a new crop of tablets just around the corner that will put the M4 to shame (a dual-core with a dedicated graphics card, for example, would really tempt me).

What's the story? If those new models are a month or two away, I could probably wait. If they're not going to be released until summer, I'd probably prefer to go ahead and buy now, so I can get a start on the massive, massive amounts of PDFs I'll need to get through.

Any advice? And are there other models besides the M4 that I should be considering now?

Thanks much!
    Todd

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Acer is worth looking at, but I think the M4 is much better. As to Core Duo with a dedicated GPU, nothing is on the immediate horizon, though Gateway should be refreshing soon. I'm not sure if you'd want to go that route though, even if it were available.