A Few Questions About the HP tx2510

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by presarioman, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. presarioman

presarioman Pen Pal - Newbie

Greetings Tablet PC Community!

I am thinking of buying an HP tx2510 convertable tablet. You can get it for $899 at the HP Store, which is a good deal more affordable than most of the other tablets on the market.

Anyway, I had a couple of questions about it, and was hoping some of you had some answers... :)

1. Has anybody been able to use the included remote to operate any other programs than just the QuickPlay software? In particular, I was hoping it could be used to deliver PowerPoint presentations; anybody been able to do this?

2. What about upgrading the included Vista Premium to Ultimate via Windows Anytime Upgrade? I have heard about the problems caused by downgrading to XP, or installing Linux, but is it okay to just upgrade between Vista editions?

3. The included version of Vista is 32-bit, right?

4. Finally, I don't know if anybody would know, but is the passive part of the touch screen capacitive or resistive?

Hopefully some of you all can help out a TabletPC first time poster.

Thanks,
    Presarioman

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

1. It can be used to navigate a presentation if it is already open & setup

2. As far as i remember Microsoft killed the Windows Anytime Upgrade program, you'd likely have to look for an upgrade version or a full installation of Ultimate. Generally though, clean installations run better than upgrades per se, but i think you can also install the upgrade as a clean installation.

3. if you tell us what the full model # is we can verify, but it should be specified if its 64 bit or 32 bit.

4. the tx2510 is resistive. If you want capacitive, consider the tx2.

3. yellowsno

yellowsno Wants to be a Mod

Check out here...
    Click start, and at the bottom, type "system"
    Click the result at the top that says "System" not "HP system Information" or "System Configuration"

On the window that comes up, it should specify 32 or 64 somewhere on there, along with some other useful information.

4. presarioman

Thank you both for your quick responses!

Since I don't actually have the notebook, I can't check if it's 32-bit or 64-bit on the actual computer. Maybe I'll stop by Best Buy or somewhere and see if they still have any so I can check, but I'm pretty sure it is still 32-bit.

I was under the impression that, with the change to the multi-touch screen in the tx2, the Wacom Digitizer was removed. Is that right? I will primarily be using this for taking notes, etc., and so I would rather have Wacom than multi-touch.

Thanks everybody!

5. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi presarioman

The TouchSmart tx2 model has the capacitive multi-touch digitizer with an N-Trig active digitizer. The Pavilion tx2510, the one you bought, has a Wacom active digitizer with a resistive (guess one can call it mono-touch) digitizer.

A retail TouchSmart tx2z series would be something like tx2-1025dx, so the format is tx2-####xx; while a retail Pavilion tx2500z series would be something like tx2510us, so the format is tx25##xx. :)

6. presarioman

Thanks SimsHsia!

Which active digitizer is better? N-Trig or Wacom? Is there really any difference between the two? :confused:

7. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

Im not a total expert with my tx2510, but it rocks and if you can get to a circuit city before it completely liquidates you can get one too for $850.00 :D

8. SimsHsia

Wacom is the standard digitizer found in the majority of Tablet PCs manufactured (as well as graphic tablets/displays - like the Graphire, Intuos, Cintiq - used by artists, architects, etc). As such, it's supported by many tablet-enabled applications like Photoshop, AutoCAD, ArcGIS (what I'm doing), etc.

The N-Trig digitizers are a relatively new technology which was first put in the Dell XT Tablet PC and now in the TouchSmart tx2 series (possibly the second TPC to have it; third if you count in the announced, never released, and discontinued Motion Computing LE1700WT slate). As such, they are better suited for multi-touch since it has the capacitive touch digitizer.

9. presarioman

So since taking notes, doing some CAD work, etc. is mostly what I'm planning to do on the tablet, it sounds like the Wacom is the better choice? Or did I misunderstand you?

10. SimsHsia

Hi presarioman,

Yes, usually Wacom is the better choice in terms of application support. Not to say that the N-Trig digitizers are bad or anything, it's just that not a lot of industry-leading applications today support its multi-touch capabilities yet. However, there's something over the horizon about Wacom having it's own active and capacitive passive digitizers that will be available in Tablet PCs, some day. :)