915GM chipset will upgrade to Microsoft Vista/Longhorn

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brian, Jul 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stockmarket

Stockmarket Pen Pal - Newbie

I read on the Motion Computing site that the 915GM chipset which comes with only four tablets that I know of: LE1600, SC3000, X41, tc4200; will allow your hardware to upgrade to MS Vista coming in 2006. To my knowledge, I have not seen any of the newly introduced tablets come with the old 855GM chipset.

For those of you who don't know, Vista will introduce the stylus to the world at large. There will no longer be a need for MS XP Tablet Edition. Computer sales will hit a record high in the next 3 years because Vista requires that the hardware have an active digitizer in the monitor as well as a stylus to make full use of all its functions. Although, it might not be named Vista in the future as there is currently a trade mark dispute over the name. Oh Bill, dear Bill.

This is just an FYI for those of you buying new equipment. Pen Computing has a layout of over 20 tablets this month including the chipset used by each. If you're planning on upgrading to Vista, once released, be aware.

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And it's important to note that Vista will come in a 32-bit variant, though the real power is in 64-bit machines. In all the marketing hype, I think some people get concerned about 32-bit machines being able to run the new OS.

3. Stockmarket

Brian,

Is the difference in the 32-bit and 64-bit OS a price preference, or does your hardware need certain specs to accomidate the higher of the two, as well?

Stock

4. Brian

You need a 64-bit CPU, like those offered by AMD to take advantage of the 64-bit OS. Intel should have mobile chips out soon that will do the trick as well.

5. tikiman7

tikiman7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Add Tecra M4 to that list :D Mobile Intel 915PM Express. Same family as 915GM.

6. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just another thought - Even with a 64-bit OS running on a 64-bit CPU, the majority of applications will still remain in a 32-bit architecture for a long time. The performance increase of these apps. will be negligible until they are rewritten to take full advantage of the 64-bit hardware and OS environment.

7. Stockmarket

Hey Barry, I'm not sure what the future holds for PC Tablets, and by all accounts, most of the experts don't either. I do know there will be hundreds of millions who will need to acclimate to pen computing in the very near future - a skillset you already have. I like your website, and I hope you're thinking 20 steps ahead. ;)

8. Don Komarechka

Don Komarechka Pen Pal - Newbie

Itel will be releasing the newest rendition of their Pentium M processors codenamed Yonah in the not-so-distant future. Seeing as how all current Intel processors are now 64bit excluding the Pentium M, Yonah should foreseeably follow this trend and be a 64-bit mobile part.

One thing that i am questioning is if Yonah will work on existing 915PM/GM chipset based tablets. The bread and butter of the lineup will be using the 667mhz bus that the 915 chipset can't support, however, the Low Voltage and Ultra Low Voltage will be available in a 533mhz variety. One can only hope that current owners of tablets like the Tecra M4 and the C310 (me) will have that as a possible upgrade path. If Intel wants to sell more mobile parts to end-users then that would be a good way to do it.

9. Brian

Good point Don, but you'll probably nee dhte manufacurers to support the chips in their BIOS, which shouldn't be a major hurdle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.