>9" windows 8 tablet for note taking, PDFs, Youtube

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Michael 77882773, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael 77882773

Michael 77882773 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I'm currently at university and am doing an engineering course so my laptop isn't much use to me with all the diagrams and equations involved, and so I was thinking about getting a tablet to view and make notes on PDFs as well as making handwritten notes in general.

I recently bought but returned a vivotab note 8. I felt that the screen was too small, it would have been barely large enough if the digitiser had stayed accurate next to the bezel but unfortunately it didn't and this further limited the usable screen area.

I have now been looking at the current and older generation (refurbished) dell venue 11 range, and it suits my budget well but I have heard about it having issues, have these been solved? Also looked at SP 3 but its just too much for something I will use to just jot notes down on. And levovo don't ship to where I live.

1. What is your budget?

£500 incl VAT, the cheaper the better though

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

Yes, if there was a warrenty/guarentee

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

Windows tablet PC

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 10 to 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

UK (Specifically the channel islands so Amazon would be great)

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

No

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

5 with moderate use

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Hand written note taking, looking at PDFs, occasional youtube videos

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

Windows 8

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Onenote

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

No

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

No

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

No

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Yes, no pressure sensitivity required but a decent size one would be a plus. Don't care about brand.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

Any

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

None required (micro SD slot would be a bonus)

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

2. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd say try to find a good (refurbished) Surface Pro 2. You should be able to get those below your 500 pounds (I don't know the alt code to the pound symbol :p) margin. I recently bought one from one of those daily deal sites for €650. Only drawback is that it'll be in Spanish so I'll have to do some work to get it to English :p

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

If you don't need a keyboard a refurbished ThinkPad 10 might fit the bill, see above quote. Not sure about getting one in the UK though.

4. Michael 77882773

Yeah I was thinking about the thinkpad but unfortunately Lenovo doesn't ship to where I live

5. Michael 77882773

Do you think it would be worth getting a surface pro for my usage?

6. electronbee

electronbee Pen Pal - Newbie

What is your usage requirement? For me, I needed Office Products, Visio, PDF, and AutoCAD Viewer LT. My TP10 runs all of these fine, some tearing of the image whole scrolling DWG files but it's not like that matters. Also, the TP10 has no fan vents, a variety of pens (like the MS S2Pro), and the rugged case you can get which has a nifty hand strap. To each their own though.

7. Michael 77882773

Its really just viewing and annotating PDF's as well as writing some notes. Maybe I'll watch a few youtube videos a week but that's it. So I don't really need much storage, a good screen or processor.

I just saw something about the toshiba encore 2 write and was thinking about waiting for that.

8. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Are there any computer retailers that sell lenovo products, maybe you could get them to order one.

9. Michael 77882773

There is one but it is just so much more expensive than ordering online at that point I would rather spend a little bit extra for a surface pro 3 from the microsoft store with a student discount.

10. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Fair enough, the SP3 has pretty good battery life anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.