8" Win81 Tablet as Surface Companion Device?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by b52hbuff, Jan 23, 2015.

1. alicepattinson

alicepattinson Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah! I was expecting it too. :(

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As b52hbuff points out though, there's completely conflicting information depending on where on HP's site you check. So who knows.

3. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

Even with stylus support, there are very few places you could take an 8" tablet that your SP2 already couldn't go. I purchased an Asis VivoTab Note 8 because it had a stylus and I thought I would be taking it other places as well. Turns out it was just a glorified Facebook machine that I used to surf the internet in my bedroom. It was nothing more than a luxury device and I didn't end up taking it anywhere outside of my home. I ended up having issues with it, returned the tablet, and purchased a Dell Venue 8 Pro 3000 series (Best Buy had them on sale for $150). It's a lot thinner, actually runs faster despite having 1GB of RAM, I think it has a better display, and it doesn't feel like a clunky device.

Again, it's a pure luxury device allowing me to surf the internet in bed, lying down, without having to hold up my 10" SP2. I could get away with using my SP2 there but I didn't think $150 was bad for a luxury device. All I do is surf the internet, look at pictures in my One Drive account, access Facebook, play the occasional HD YouTube video, and shop on it. Anything more serious would be better accomplished on a larger display with a faster system.

4. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

For me it's rather the opposite. There's not a place where I'd rather take my SP2 instead of my AVTN8. Maybe if I go on holiday to my mother (who lives a few countries away), where I have access to a power outlet for charging and where I would not be required to take it with me all the time. Just to show photos.

I use my AVTN8 as ereader, as note taker, as shopping list, as general internet device when I have wifi away from home. It fits in my bag, it fits in my coat pocket and it goes with me wherever I go. The SP2 is simply too large and too heavy to always carry around with me.

WillAdams likes this.
  5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

For me my preference for an 8" device is primarily driven by usage comfort. I enjoy the portability benefits to be sure, but that is secondary for me. I primarily work at my desk (either at home or in the office). I don't have an on the go type job.

I just find it much more comfortable to take notes on my AVN8 than on my SP1. Except on the rare occasion I need a larger canvas, I'd much rather use my AVN8 than my SP1. This left the SP1 filling the laptop role for almost all of its usage, and, at least for me, it wasn't good enough in that role to justify the 10% of the time I used it as a tablet. If I had owned a SP3 at the time, perhaps I would have stuck with it, but the keyboard experience combined with the screen size made me make the switch to a larger swivel hinge convertible for my laptop/"large canvas tablet".

At least for me, an 8" device makes a good companion if the device accompanying it is a large enough contrast. For me it seems the the decision is either all in one route for which the SP makes reasonable compromises, or the two device route where the two devices are more distinct. The SP1 was too much of a tablet and not enough of a laptop for the AVN8 to make sense along side it. Unfortunately for my SP1, the AVN8 + convertible laptop won the compromise battle.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm not sure SPro3 to AVN8 is a big enough spread either, but I love having the SPro 3 in the dock with the two big 2560x1440 27" monitors during the daytime, so having that grab and go Asus would be a relief from the dock/undock/dock routine with the SPro 3

7. Mesosphere

Yea, use case is a huge factor. I don't dock my laptop, I have desktop machines at my desks. The SP was only used as a laptop and a note pad ~10% of the time when the AVN8 was not big enough. For those that dock their SP, they get a lot more use out of it than I did.

That is another important factor though. Often I want to use my laptop and tablet at the same time. That is a benefit of a companion sized device regardless of the "contrast".

dstrauss likes this.
  8. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks everyone for giving me something to think about. One interesting pattern is that everybody's 8" tablet so far is the Asus Vivo Note. Interesting that no one has the Dell 8" tablet. And everyone has a stylus. ;)

Dstrauss, curious to know why how the iPhone 6+ works out as a "companion" device? What do you think of the OneNote experience on it?

9. Mesosphere

Wacom >> Synaptics.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I like OneNote on it, mostly because of the larger screen. My gut tells me the Galaxy Note 4 would be a better pure companion device, especially now that it has Office, but I just don't like Android. My heart really wants a Windows 10 phablet with integrated pen (like a Galaxy Note 4W).

More like: Wacom >> N-Trig >> Synaptic >> Atmel >> anything iPad