8-inch Asus Windows 8.1 tablet rumored with WACOM(!!!) stylus

Discussion in 'Asus' started by cheflo, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

It is DPI, not screen size, which determines UI size. The DPI on these 8 inch screens is actually (ever so slightly) lower than on the SP, so touch targets are actually very slightly larger. What you give up on these 8" screens is working area not UI size.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  2. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't have SP, and I keep hearing people complaining about UI/Font/Button too small to click.

I believe Windows allows you to scale up the DPI.. what's supposed to be the problem? Genuinely curious here.

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Well I'm talking about the actual physical dpi of the screen. In windows you can scale it in software (interpolation), but it makes things 'fuzzy'. Even worse, some programs ignore the scaling entirely, so the UI elements remain small.

4. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's a huge problem in practice. To get 1080p on a 8" screen to have usable UI elements IMO would mean 200% DPI. On the old 1366x768 resolutions on a 10.1" screen IMO 125% is just barely usable. This messes up many things, breaks many legacy programs and I've noticed it's TERRIBLE when you want to have an external monitor, things just don't translate correctly.

As much as I dislike the entire Apple ecosystem, you can see the great care and attention to detail they put into the scaling on the ipad. There is never a time on iOS when you say that button is too small, or that text is running off screen because of the scaling.

Of course we are talking about the legacy desktop, MS has done a superb job with scaling in Metro. It's obvious that the legacy desktop is just a secondary perk for tablet owners as it gets phased out and we just have to accept that.

5. avianz

avianz Pen Pal - Newbie

Apple supports 4 resolutions across all of its devices, retina and non-retina iPhone and iPads. Layouts built for IOS apps are fixed, elements cannot stretch/move re-arrange based on resolution. Apple has gotten around this by simply doubling the resolution in horizontal and vertical, that makes adjusting apps to fit the new resolution as simple as scaling them up 2:1.

Windows has a much bigger problem in that there are dozens of resolution and screen size configurations, and much in the same way that Android does, it relies on the developer to create apps that can resize their content based on the dpi and screen size. Old desktop apps are rarely aware of DPI and very few have been updated to work with Windows 8.1's DPI scaling. Just like desktop apps on the Mac with Retina MBPs, each one needs to be updated to support resolution scaling.

6. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

Ah I get it now, I used to upscale the DPI to be able to use HDTV as monitor from the sofa. It was all fuzzy and a lot of text labels dnot fit. Ended up using lower res. Thanks for the answers.

Now that you mention it, if SP with 10.6 screen is that bad, Lenovo thinkpad 8 is 8.3 inch with even larger width res. Duh.

Regarding Android.. I think it has improved a lot on screen scaling department since the intro of Holo (part of Android UI guidelines or something along the lines).
    I typed this post on 1080p 4.7 inch screen, most if not all modern apps are scaled correctly.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  7. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes I completely agree, but it still doesn't change the poor experience. At least us technical users can understand why, but it doesn't mean we aren't frustrated. Now imagine the typical ipad user who maybe doesn't understand what you just said. They will only have a tablet in hand with tiny UI elements and wonder who the heck this was made for.

I do understand the long term strategy of phasing out the desktop somehow, I just think MS approach is a bit stunted. Well, with Windows 9 already being talked about we will wait and see, it certainly seems like windows 8 might be a bit of a stopgap against iOS/Android and we should see MS pull out the big guns with Win 9. Still, it's no excuse IMO for a poor desktop experience, it's still something consumers will put their eyes on and this is an incredibly crucial period for MS.

8. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

1. Do you think the tablet will realistically give mots of us all day battery?

2. When you look at a spec sheet, what kind of displays/surfaces are outdoor friendly? I looked on the forum sticky there was like antiglare and anti something else and I was not sure the difference.

3. Do you foresee any other devices that could come out that might be worth waiting a few more months for instead of this tablet? (surface mini, other 8 inch tablets, TP3-like device, etc...? ) Any other noteworth 8 inch wacom devices that you feel might be ready to launch shortly after this one?

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

CES was quite a disappointment. The Asus Note 8 is the only ray of hope for an 8" Wacom tablet. For 10" tablets, the Fuji looks like it works quite well. It just costs an arm and a leg. I think the TPT3 will be out in the spring. Hopefully, it will have a Wacom pen. Waiting for the other shoe to drop from Samsung. I have no idea if the company is going over to Android in a big way or is waiting for the 64bit Bay Trail Atoms before committing to a design. I guess there is some speculation about a pen in an upcoming Nokia tablet but that is RT. If there is a small surface and if (big if) it has a Wacom pen, it will likely be RT as well.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I agree with Bronsky - INCLUDING CES being a total bust. At this point, the only meaningful release will be the Asus Note 8. All of the surface mini rumors I've seen point to another RT wannabe. In the 10" category, despite the smaller form factor and Bay Trail battery efficiency, for the price it is very hard to justify the Fuji Q584 over the full power Surface Pro 2. Waiting for Samsung is almost as futile as waiting for Gadot, or was that Lenovo? Speaking of which, just how hard can it be to upgrade a good solid design (TPT2) with Bay Trail, USB 3, and perhaps a 1080 screen? Really?

So, I'm going to keep nursing this TPT2 along (which, frankly, is doing great with Win 8.1) until I can get my hands on the Asus Note 8 with 64GB storage. I suspect that it should keep me happy for at least a week or two until the next great thing gets announced...:D