8-inch Asus Windows 8.1 tablet rumored with WACOM(!!!) stylus

Discussion in 'Asus' started by cheflo, Dec 18, 2013.

1. cheflo

cheflo Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I like 7- and 8-inch tablets, but I don't understand how full Windows 8.1 desktop makes any sense in that form factor. Touch targets are tiny enough on a 10.6 inch Surface Pro screen. Maybe the Wacom digitizer in this and future tablets will convince developers like Adobe to migrate to Metro more rapidly?

4. will567

will567 Scribbler - Standard Member

At that price and with Wacom, this should be a very popular device.

hp2 likes this.
  5. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't have any problems using the desktop on the 8" Dell, I simply go to display setting and increase the size of the title bar, message box, etc and its easy enough to use without a stylus. the desktop is something I can't imagine not having on any of my computing devices apart from my phone and so far whatever the screen size has worked well for me.

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

hp2 likes this.
  6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So what desktop apps are you running that way, @efjay? What's the primary use for your Dell?

7. redviper

redviper Scribbler - Standard Member

I use Word and powerpoint a lot on my dell. For one meeting I even used excel.

Occasionally I'll even ssh into a Linux box and use emacs with a bt keyboard. The possibilities are endless if you have the wit to be creative!

Mesosphere, hp2 and Fazli Amri like this.
  8. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I just use it as a regular PC using media player to sync my WP, Zune for playback, windows explorer, managing my home server with the connector software, mp3tag to edit my music files - normal computer use. For office use I connect a Bt keyboard but for short text entry I use the onscreen keyboard. I don't feel restricted by the size, I just adjust to it and it works fine for me.

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

onkelosuppo and hp2 like this.
  9. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have a Dell V8P sitting, brand new in box, next to me so if this has Wacom away to eBay it goes!

10. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

8" form factor for me is perfect for portrait notetaking in OneNote. Feels like a jr legal notepad.

For as much as I dislike the notetaking with the pen on the Dell V8, I do have to credit Synaptics for making a touch screen that feels to have a high degree of touch accuracy. So, for me personally, I don't mind running desktop apps on the 8" screen. It seems to know which buttons I intend to push, so closing, minimizing/maximizing, selections are eerily accurate. I don't feel like I have the same level of accuracy on my older Wacom based tablets even with bigger screens.

Having said that, if Asus does come out with this wacom tablet, I'm jumping ship immediately.