8-9" penabled tablet

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by FiDeLiuS, Dec 5, 2015.

1. FiDeLiuS

FiDeLiuS Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there, i need to replace my 5 year old Fuji T4410 and while i'm undecided wether to wait for the Lenovo TP Yoga 460 (Fuji T935 too expensive) or go back to a complete workstation, i'm wondering if there is an ultra mobile penabled tablet, that can fulfill my basic mobile needs...

Strolling around this forum and other review sites I came down to these options:

Asus vivotab note 8 and Toshiba encore 2 write 8": Seemingly the best 8" penabled tablets around at this time, but availability here is pretty lame. Best options are ebay offers to be sent over from the US, so delivery and customs fees crank up the price and returns can be ruled out.

Edit: Samsung Galaxy Note 8": Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7: Slightly bigger than what I was looking for, but the given the tiny bezel and low weight compensates easily for that. What i'm sceptical about is screen quality due to the low resolution and i don't know how well Android-Office works for my needs (I won't create doc's on such a small tablet, just presenting and annotationg). The availibility makes this an easy solution.

Obviously the Surface 3 would fit my mobile needs pretty well, but it's still too expensive for a tablet and i guess too heavy to hold in one hand for reading or to jot something down while standing - and from my point of view what slates are good for. On a table or on my lap i'd rather go with a convertible.

So i'm curious about your suggestions... Could an Android device be enough to do lecturing with MS-Office tools? Interesting (upcoming) devices i missed out?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

HP also has some offerings, but they are getting out of the race to the bottom so you might need to hurry.
    If you look around eBay you might also find a Samsung Galaxy Note 8, just calculate for a battery replacement. For note taking in school it is pretty sweet and with an Office 365 subscription you can write your reports on it as well, but that would require an external Bluetooth keyboard.

Other, price worthy, options are Amazon's Fire tablets, but no pen on those.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

3. FiDeLiuS

Wow, i ruled out Galaxy Note 8 because of its age, but comparing the internal specs to the Tab A 9.7 there's only minor differences - and there's definitely a lot of affordable second hand offerings!

The HP Pro Tablet 408 G1 is in fact another nice Windows option. But the price and low second hand/refurbished availiblity put it in a similar position as the vivotab note or the encore 2 write.

Oh, the Pro Tablet 608 G1 does even have USB-C... very tempting! - battery performance at notebookcheck-Review is horrible.

Guess i have to find a penabled Android with MS-Office on display in a shop to find out if it works as i would like, in order to figure out if that is an option. There's quite some Galaxy Tab As around.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

With Office for Android being as sophisticated as it is, doing real work on Android is better than it has ever been. I still use a windows tablet (Surface 3) but a lot of functions that made my old AVN8 indispensable, I now perform on my Galaxy Note 5. I've had to make some adjustments, like relying upon online storage more than I had in the past, but I do all my time keeping on a PDF form with Xodo. I do a fair amount of research using Lexis Advance on my Note 5. All basic note taking, like To Do lists, smaller reminder notes, addresses, etc., I do on the GN5. All of this would work perfectly on a Note 8. Add a Zagg keyboard/case and you can edit Word documents, present Powerpoints and review Excel documents in Android. Pictures, Music and consumption have already been strong suits of Android. 8" is large enough to do serious annotations on the Note 8.

5. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The deciding factor (if you're a OneNote user) is how much functionality you need, and how much you're willing to jump through hoops to get **** done.

Do you find yourself importing PDFs, PPTs, and other documents into OneNote constantly? I would have to do that a lot in class because the teacher wouldn't upload martial until right before the lecture started. So when I was trying to make the Note 10.1 2014 work for me, I had to remote into my desktop at home to open up the documents and print to OneNote. That became very old, very fast.

Do you use add-ins like OneTastic or macros? Not on Android.

Will it get annoying to tap between pen/eraser icons at the top because side buttons on pens don't work on Android?

There's massive limitations in Android OneNote. Figure out if those are deal breakers first.

6. FiDeLiuS

Thanks for your comments, i guess it comes down to Asus Vivotab Note 8 or Samsung Galaxy Note 8.

Pro Galaxy Note:
    • better look and brighter screen
    • MHL Support
    • UI better adapted to small screens and touch input
    Pro Vivotab:
    • much less software limitations: e.g. i do a lot inking in Word documents (and sometimes in spreadsheets) - Android Office doesn't seem to support that yet - I would have to convert them to pdf first.
    • Use the Wacom-Pen you d'like
    Given their 2nd hand prices i may get both and resell the one that fits me less after trying them out.

7. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Good call, cant go wrong doing that. I really liked the Note 10.1 2014 when I used it. The size, weight, screen, Wacom inking, and battery life were fantastic. But it became too much of a hassle in a professional environment.

If my work flow was different, I would've kept it.

8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

When you buy the Asus, make sure it is running Windows 8.1, that will be a better experience for you.
    You will also notice that the Samsung has better inking along the edges, whether that is important for you or not is something you should rest when you have both devices.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

9. FiDeLiuS

I already ordered a Vivotab note on Ebay for $150, but it's Windows 10 - I hope i can still downgrade if it's too frustrating to use on the tablet.

10. FiDeLiuS

It's now several weeks i got my AVN8 and i'm pretty happy with it as a tablet. In fact i don't do much more than what is usually done on an Android device, but with windows i can rely on my usual apps with all customization options available. But then again 8" is defintely too small for me to do serious work. 10" seems to be the bare minimum.

Biggest complaint is the mediocre battery life, respectively the standby battery drain. - although battery life has never been a strength of 2nd hand devices.