8.1 Graphics driver fix Asus Vivotab Smart ME400C (until MS update figures it out)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Scott123, Oct 19, 2013.

1. joff81

joff81 Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried to follow this today and ended up nearly bricking the tablet. I updated to windows 8.1 and followed the guide and what happened was when I delete the driver (9.14.3.1168) I ended up with no display adaptor and once scanned for device drivers the same one kept coming back and it wouldn't allow me to install the older asus packed driver.

Is there any word when this will be fixed by MS or Asus as I don't want to nearly bricking my tab again and having to restore it and have to go through a day of updates again like I'm doing now.

2. Scott123

Scott123 Pen Pal - Newbie

Are you sure you were at risk of bricking your tablet? This is a simple driver swap. If you are having issues that have caused your computer to freeze, stop working, etc. please consult a professional, as changing one compatible driver with another compatible driver should not risk bricking your tablet.

If you are comfortable changing or updating drivers in Device Manager, please read and reread the linked pages in my first post. You must delete the old driver and disable auto update for drivers. With these settings it will not reload
    the 1186 driver... it will probably load an older MS universal driver.

Poster 'Asus' in post #10 was kind enough to link the specific driver for the display adapter. This should make the install much easier than the way I did it, but you still have to delete the 1168 driver and disable auto update as outlined in the linked pages in the original post.

Hope this helped.

3. brewboy

brewboy Pen Pal - Newbie

Many thanks to posters Scott123 and Asus. Driver swap seems to have fixed the issue.

4. joff81

joff81 Pen Pal - Newbie

I know it was supposed to be a simple driver swap but once rebooted all I got was a blank screen with a bar across the bottom of the screen, no metro interface or nothing. I did a couple of reboots but it was the same so had to restore the tablet and now spending another day or 2 doing windows updates.

I've done driver updates loads of times before but for some reason this one sent the tablet bad.

5. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A dumb question maybe, but how do you disable auto update for drivers please? I'm having the same problems with my Vivotab TF810c and it's getting worse by the day as well as the ghosting problem. Thanks

6. Scott123

The original post has the link with instructions to disable auto update of drivers.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    nnthemperor likes this.
  7. Scott123

Did you 'scan for hardware changes' before you rebooted? Sorry to hear that you are having issues with this. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself can pipe in on your issue.

8. flashgeist

flashgeist Pen Pal - Newbie

I couldn't uninstall the 1168 driver and delete it either, it uninstalled but then came back to 1168 after scan for hardware changes.

So I just updated to 1117 without uninstalling and it worked perfectly. When you update, you have to choose the second option (something like "search driver on my computer" - my Windows is in French so I don't know the exact translation). And then the second option again: something like "choose from a list of device drivers on my computer". You then see a list of drivers, but what you do is click on "from provided disk" or something like that (button on th right after the drivers list). And you point to the folder where you extracted the 1117 driver.

This should work, it worked for me.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  9. billreilly

billreilly Pen Pal - Newbie

For everybody who's having display problems (display driver crashing, trouble waking from sleep, ghosting, artifacts, etc.), I found a thread on the Lenovo site that is dealing with the same problems...

The thread is here:
    TPT2 - Win 8.1 - Display driver keeps crashing - Lenovo Community

Their solution is described by DCRDeveloper on bottom of the third page:
    TPT2 - Win 8.1 - Display driver keeps crashing - Page 3 - Lenovo Community

10. cocute

cocute Pen Pal - Newbie

Exist driver more actual that 9.14.3.1117 and without errors same 9.14.3.1168 (oficial windows update)?
    I have found this drivers:
    http://morrisoft.ca/08CF/